• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seventh grader suspended for 'liking' photo of a gun

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
An Ohio student was suspended from school last week for "liking" a particular photo on Instagram.

Seventh grader Zachary Bowlin was given a ten-day suspension from Edgewood Middle School for liking a picture of a gun on the social media site with the caption, "ready."

13803498_G.jpg
Credit: Instagram/FOX19
According to FOX19, Bowlin's parents received a note that cited reason for the suspension as, "Liking a post on social media that indicated potential school violence."

"I liked it, scrolling down Instagram at night about 7, 8 o'clock I liked it," Bowlin told FOX19. "The next morning they called me down [to the office] patted me down and checked me for weapons."

The gun in the photo is reportedly an airsoft gun that shoots pellets.

The 13-year-old's parents were angry about the suspension. "It was 10 days suspension with the possibility of expulsion. I'm like, 'For liking a gun? Did he make a comment or threat or anything?,'" Bowlin's father, Marty, told WLWT. "And it's like, 'No. He just liked a picture.' I'm like, 'Well, this can't happen.'"

More at: https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...r-liking-photo-of-a-gun-on-instagra/22075757/

I commented in a thread about this on another forum. My general thoughts were that his parents should lawyer up.

It turned out that it was an airsoft gun. The suspension was lifted. I have a huge problem that he started with a 10 day suspension without finding out the facts. Even if it was a picture of a real gun no suspension was warranted since their wasn't a threat and it was done on his own time and computer. The school admins anymore just seem to be in a real cover your butt mode rather than be real leaders of the school.

The link has a 1 minute video with both the dad and the admin speaking.
http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Student-suspended-for-liking-photo-of-airsoft-gun-11134361.php

"Zero tolerance" is a code phrase which really means, "so I don't have to make a real decision".

Our school system is ate up with it.

Parents need to sue, this type.of crap has to stop.

Problem is, most do not have the resources to fight it and the anti gun brainwashing by instilling fear continues.

More leftist PC crap. The social engineering and programming are first and foremost on the agenda of our public education institutions. Our young ones spend more time with teachers and educators than they do their parents. The left figured this out many years ago and have been and are currently taking complete advantage to shape the minds of the most vulnerable.

Too many good ol' boys here to let that stuff take hold. Occasionally you hear of some stupidity in Orlando but that is a city I avoid at all costs--too much traffic! My dot's high school recently started checking ingoing and outgoing people since they got a new principal. They don't search cars or anything, just ask "what are you here for". I don't usually think of it when I drop her off but I enter illegally every time (ie: guns in car)... :cool:

Last edited:
Ironic, schools suspend kids for liking a picture, then give them time off to march in protests and call it a learning experience. I swear, I think school board elections might be the most important elections we have.

This is the same as the liberal media taking every thin, nebulous opportunity to dump on their political opponents, even by virtue of public license. Given the roll model they all follow (our popular Demo politicians who through the auspices of public office, largely commit white collar crime after crime) why would the school officials do otherwise?

Back