• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 for home defense

what is y'all opinion on having a 930 for home defense? I'm looking at getting shotgun just for home defense. But I'm leaning towards a pump just for sheer dependability.

I don't have much experience with a pump, so I went with the 930 SPX for home defense. I just didn't want to be "that guy" that short-shucks or even forgets to pump the next round in. Either can be a deadly mistake.

I tested, tinkered, and tested some more until I know it's 100% reliable with my chosen ammo, Federal FliteControl #1 buck. I did install the Or3gun MST, just for good measure.

The 930 is lightning fast. It will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

what is y'all opinion on having a 930 for home defense? I'm looking at getting shotgun just for home defense. But I'm leaning towards a pump just for sheer dependability.

I have the 930 JM Pro (22") for home defense. I like the fact I can put out up to 10 shots (yea, mine holds 9) in the blink of an eye if required. I don't expect to ever use it, but if I do the threat is going to be stopped. 10 shots from a shotgun is a lot of lead.

With the 22" barrel it does have hunting capability superior to a pure HD gun at 18" IMO.

Had it.... ended up selling it. Nothing wrong with it I just had better options for HD. Only thing it didn't like is Estate White box bird shot when I used it for skeet. I now have a dedicated clay gun, 590A1 is my HD shotgun along with my G19.

Damn thing gets real dirty after 300 rounds and starts to jam a little bit. So you have to be steady on your cleaning routine with her if you use it often.

Guns like the JM pro are great. But for a gun that isn't going to get used but in the case sh$$t has hit the fan. It is hard to justify nearly $600. I have been looking at the JM pro, but been leaning towards a Maverick 88.

Guns like the JM pro are great. But for a gun that isn't going to get used but in the case sh$$t has hit the fan. It is hard to justify nearly $600. I have been looking at the JM pro, but been leaning towards a Maverick 88.

Well, you asked :)

It's a semi-auto cannon. I went to the range yesterday where you are required to shoot the 25 yard distance. I put 9, 1oz slugs through the center of the target in about 10 seconds, maybe a 3 inch spread. Pretty darn effective when you need it...

You can use it for hunting as well, if you are so inclined.

I just bought a JM pro 22" last month. I love it. I use it for HD hunting,Clay's, and maybe someday use it for 3 gun. For the HD aspect of things I changed the stock to a Choate Mark 5 pistol grip stock. A lot of people don't like em .It makes loading with one hand bit easier. And it doesn't mess with the recoil spring. It cycles everything I feed it. Some say 22" Barrel is to much for HD. 3.5" longer than the SPX , really isn't all that much in my book..

Last edited:
I also just put the Choate Mark 5 postol grip stock on my 930 SPX. I seem to get on target faster with better control. And no I have no issues with the safety.

I had to go with a semiauto as I lost the use of my left arm but I feel that the 930 is more dependable in a stressful home defense situation. I've watched my nephew short shuck a Wichester 1300 7 or 8 times in a hundred rounds of skeet. Especially if you are not a experienced shooter the 930 after breaking in and testing with your choice of load is a great choice.

Back