• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 505 20 gauge vs. Maverick 88 20 gauge

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right area or if it has been covered before, but here's my dilemma. I'm looking at the 505 with the 20 inch barrel and 12 inch LOP, versus the maverick 88 with a 22 inch barrel and 13 inch LOP. At some point, either one will get an 18.5 inch barrel put on. The 505 is so beautiful and the 88 so utilitarian and cheap. Anyone have any advise also in regards to the 12 vs 13 inch LOP? Apologies for the question bombardment but thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Simple. If your reach is longer, you'll prefer a longer length of pull. That's what LOP is.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What weaselfire said,,it's what you need.

Measure the LOP of the person that's going to be shooting the gun.
lop2.jpg

Yes it is. Mossbergs were the first true "take-down" shotgun which makes them quite modular.

I don't know what you mean by "true" but the Winchester 1897 was a takedown shotgun. Mossberg as a company did not come in to existence until 1919. I can't think of a way you could take a shotgun farther down than the Winchester 97.

images.jpg

Last edited:
but the Winchester 1897 was a takedown shotgun.

The Models 97s were made in both solid frame and takedown models. Even the takedown models are significantly more difficult to service than a Mossberg. This is the case for most shotguns made in the early 20th century.

When the Remington 870 came out in 1950 it was the easiest weapon to service at the time, with a large barrel nut securing the barrel and two pins holding the trigger assembly. Unfortunately it still had some soldered parts.

Mossbergs were the first shotguns that could be field stripped w/out any tools, and completely disassembled with a screw driver and punch.

'Cept he's talking about "easily stripped and worked on", not a takedown barrel/mag tube as you guys seem to be fixated on arguing. If that was the topic then any old first gen single or double breech loaded shotgun from the late 19th century would be the first.

Going to delete the next three paragraphs. No point in answering questions that weren't asked.

....." 'Cept he's talking about "easily stripped and worked on", not a takedown barrel/mag tube as you guys seem to be fixated on arguing...."

Sir,
Just to belabor the thread a bit more, and not trying to be a smart so-and-so, but you seem to have taken your own liberty with the thread. Your "easily stripped and worked on" quote is yours...,

Back