• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 88, first impressions.

Greg B

Picked up my new 12ga 88 on Friday. Took it to the range this morning.
First, ran everything flawlessly. Although I was only shooting Federal target loads and my home rolled, re-purposed slug loads (thanks, John A, for getting me started down that road).
Second, running a pump after spending time using a semi is a lot of extra work.
Third, I think I need to reduce the LOP, not that the reach to the trigger is bad. But more to shorten the reach to the forend, I think that will go a long way towards making the gun more fun to shoot.
And finally, I really need to change the forend out to something a bit more comfortable to grip.
All in all, I am very happy with the gun, but I think I just need to personalize it a bit.

Congrats on your new Mav 88!!

How were those LEE reloads doing for ya?

Congrats on your new Mav 88!!

How were those LEE reloads doing for ya?
The slug loads are great. Wish I was a little better at putting them in the center of the target though. :)
And that reminds me, I'm down to my last box, so I'd better get to casting more soon.

Congrats on your new 88. I put a Hogue Overmold on mine but there are some things you need to check if you want to change the current forearm. 1) Is it a 1 or 2 piece forearm and 2) what is the length of the slide tube i.e. 6.5"-6.75" or 7.5"? First if it's a 1 piece you'll have to replace both the forearm AND slide tube. If it's the 6.5-6.75" tube you'll also need the longer nut. Go to Hogue website.

The reach to the fore end reach was my problem with shotguns. I went with the youth model which has a shorter reach. The stock has the extension that brings it out to 13" lop. fits perfect.

Back