• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Garage sale find

Spent about an hour sanding with 400 grit removing whatever coating/finish that was on the receiver.

Once done, detail field stripped it, followed with some Norrells socom black through the airbrush. I didn't preheat the metal, so it won't be a flat finish. It'll be more of a black metal flake satin up close and in direct sunlight.

While I tried not to, I lost a lot of the detail on the proof marks due to the thickness of the finish after a couple of coats, but like I said, I don't think there was any real value considering there's been umpteen million of them made in the last 60 years or so anyway.

Least once it finishes baking and curing, will be protected from the elements and may look a little better than it did before.

Just FWIW, the socom black was what I finished my first suppressor with way back when. It holds up great to bumps, and heat and wear. I don't have to worry about all of the salt water corrosion tests. But we do have a lot of humidity here in the summer. And should seal the metal from rain and the occasional boating accident.

It shot good yesterday. I hate having to walk shots to the bullseye or compensate by aiming low and right or high and left or whatever. That's one of my all time pet peeves.

This one didn't have that problem.

The buckshot was dead center where I was aiming, just ~ 3 inches high.

Next month, I plan to get a meprolight tritium front bead for it. They are notoriously taller than standard beads, which should bring the point of impact down to about dead-on where I'm aiming.

I'm not wanting to add any sort of electronic dot. I have a few of those micro dots that I could use on it, but I prefer a fixed sight on my scatterguns. No batteries to go dead because you forgot to turn it off or bumped it in the cabinet moving stuff around, no worries about emp's. Makes life so much more simple.

It's late, but it's back together.

870 002.JPG

870 003.JPG

870 013.JPG

870 010.JPG

870 014.JPG

edit and a snapshot of what it looks like in the daylight. (1300 on the left, 870 on the right)

870 016.JPG

Couldn't tell it from a brand new in the box. As always, nice work John.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Thank you.

If you could see it up close, there's still a lot of little dings and love licks in the metal. I didn't even try to get them all out. I just wanted to clean it up a little.

And to get something over the steel to protect it better. The blue was just about gone on some of it. The norrels was probably about the best choice I had on hand for that.

If it's going to be earmarked to give to my Grandson someday to help protect his family, it's going to be "right".

And besides, I enjoy these little projects. At least it doesn't look like it came over on the mayflower no more LOL

OK, to satisfy my curiousity, I emailed Remington the serial, asked them for manufacture date. I'll update if/when I get an answer.

A few things that has been noted in my research.

Not a stamped receiver. There are a few minor milling marks visible inside the receiver when I had it all took apart. Nothing major or significant, but you can see where it was machined.

Aluminum trigger guard. Reports going back to at least '06 noting plastic trigger guards on some newer guns (models).

Metal trigger and trigger parts. No plastic parts in there at all that I saw. Even the trigger pin bushings were metal.

Steel safety. Reports of plastic safety's on some newer guns.

Has a plastic follower. And mag spring retainer tab on the other side of the mag spring is stamped steel.

There are typically 4 types of stocks on these guns.

The high dollar wingmasters are a high gloss walnut.

And all the other 870 variants have either birch (which is what mine is), plastic, or laminate.

The follower being the only plastic piece on it, bugged me.

So, I spent 10 minutes on the lathe and turned one from a scrap piece of 6061 aluminum I had left over from when I made a few extended charging handles a while back.

Painted the face of it bright yellow so it'll be a lot easier to see when checking it for safe and when it's empty.

870 004.JPG
870 006.JPG
870 011.JPG

John A. said:
. . . the occasional boating accident.

I think you mean to say the occasional unplanned boating accident.

;)

Anyhow, the shotgun is looking very nice. Having a plastic part in it would bother me too by the way.

Don't have to worry about a plastic part on/in it no more.

Looks like there are aftermarket aluminum followers for them though. Ebay has a bunch for about $15 a pop.

Material cost was about .35 cents for mine. Not including what little electricity the lathe used. ?????

Least I won't never have to worry about it cracking when it's cold out, or breaking at the worst possible time.

I had a brain fart this evening and to make a long story short, I remembered that my Charles Daly semi auto took Remington chokes. I'm not sure who had initially installed an extended mag tube on that gun originally, but I took it off right after I bought it because I am not allowed to hunt with a semi auto that has an extended capacity so it ended up in a parts box.

So, in looking around, I didn't want to pay $40+ for an aftermarket tube because that was the average prices I saw for them, I went to the basement and dug around and found it and apparently the mag tube threads on the Charles Daly are also the same as the Remington threads because it screwed straight onto the 870 with no hassle or fuss. Was just the perfect length for it too.

I'll need to get a correct length Wolff extended spring for it (about $9), and once the Trijicon tall front bead gets in later this week, I think I'll call this gun "done".

It may someday get an Elzetta light mount eventually, but if it does, it'll be way on down the road.

870 001.JPG

Just to confirm, Remington said December '89.

I look at that date, and can remember a lot about that year and it does not seem like that should've been almost 30 years ago now.

Mikhail Gorbachev was the "man of the year" during the death throws of the USSR and the "cold war" ending.

Commercial internet was just getting started

Exxon Valdez oil spill

Test tube babies was "a thing".

Tiananmen Square riot in china.

Indiana Jones last Crusade, Back to the future 2, and honey I shrunk the kids was in theaters.

Golden girls and the Cosby show were on primetime.

Every Rose has it's Thorn was on Casey Kasem's top 40 list. And as bad as I hate to mention them, so were the new kids on the block and milli vanilli. All of which are now considered "classic rock", despite classic rock traditionally had always been 50's-70's music to that point.

A lot has changed since then I guess.

To everything there is a season.

I moved to Clovis in 1989.

I lost my first wife in Aug 1989 and met my new wife in Oct 1989.

I sold my '59 Ford & my '59 Edsel.

I started a new job at a company which was working on the same project I was working on when I left my previous job.

I started a side business doing freelance graphics, which I ran for several years.

My mom broke her humerus & ended up in a convalescent hospital for 2 months.

I gave up pipe smoking (which I had done since the age of 17) and started smoking cigarettes. I continued smoking for almost 19 years, but at some point switched to cigars.

(9 years, 3 mos, 3 days ago I quit forever. :) )

Thank you.

I'm a pretty simple fella.

The meprolight fiber/tritium dot was exactly what the gun needed. The taller front sight brought the POI down several inches to about right where it needed to be.

The new follower I made, the Charles Daly semi auto mag extension that I robbed, and a wolff 7 shot +10% mag spring worked great.

Pattern with buckshot was wider than my 500, but was pretty much point of aim now, which makes up for it. This is the worst target with buckshot that I did for the day. The circle is whatever diameter a coffee can lid is. 6 inches ????

Anyway, 20 yards:

870 buckshot 001.JPG

Back