• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Son's first range trip

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
My son and I built a M1 Garand in honor of his Grandfather who was in the Korean War. We finally coordinated to get out and see if it functions... spoiler alert it needs some work to function properly.

Here's us waiting in the car for the place to open:

34899955184_98fe4a31d8_z.jpg

got him started on the Mossberg MVP with 3-9x Nikon scope. Damn thing is really dialed in so I know it would be a good start for his first shooting experience. After his nerves settled down he started to work on the drills we did at home on how to maintain his breathing, trigger press, body positioning.

I noticed he started getting his shots in the small circles at 100 yards. I challenged him to hit a quarter at 100 yards. Boy manned up like a champ

34931836843_15a0e932f0_z.jpg

35700900476_40ecdccff2_z.jpg

While he was working on the MVP I tried to get the M1 build in 30-06 going. Unfortunately it is a bolt action the first 4 rounds of the clip, then feeds fine the last 4. Got it zeroed in at 100 yards and let the boy take some shots with it. Need to re-evaluate some parts to see where it may be hanging up. Gas pressure is good as it goes ping at the last round. Just seems to have a tough time stripping the round and going back into battery. Needs more tender love and care.

Also took out our .308 build and it is still short stroking. Going to have to drill a larger gas port hole in the barrel. Seems to be under gassed with the specs on the barrel.

So I took out the Mini G and had at it at 100 and verified zero at 100 yards in prone. Took 4 shots and hit the 8" circle no problem

35610212691_74d199eeea_z.jpg

Took her out to 200 yards and for some damn reason I couldnt get her to group well enough to verify zero at 200. Started to get frustrated and running out of ammo so I grabbed the MVP from my son and put 2 shots at 200. First shot was low left and I felt it (right by my thumb). Second shot was right in the money maker at 200 using the BDC reticle on the Nikon P223 scope

34899955444_40ecdccff2_z.jpg

Let my son take the MVP out to 200 yards and he was making some decent shots as well

35700899776_355154023c_z.jpg

Someone never zeroed their rifle and couldnt hit their target at 200. So my son took 10 shots at it to finish off the day. 1 Mike, 9 hits, 5 hits solid in the middle.

34899955734_699be30d33_z.jpg

We were there the whole day. He really enjoyed himself and he's willing to come skeet shooting with me in a few weeks as well.

Great day before Independence Day! Regardless of our builds not functioning properly.

'Merica!

I have some video I'll post later on when I cut it.

Last edited:
So, he shot the quarter at 100 yards the first time he's ever been behind a gun?

That is extraordinary.

I can barely SEE a quarter at 100 yards with a scope cranked all the way up.

So, he shot the quarter at 100 yards the first time he's ever been behind a gun?

That is extraordinary.

I can barely SEE a quarter at 100 yards with a scope cranked all the way up.

Yeah man! Crushed it. Dont know how many shots he took at it but he put one through. I was busy cursing the M1 rifles while he was going to town lol

how bout his hits at 200?!

Think I may have a range buddy!

That is no small achievement. Even for a seasoned shooter.

Even military sniper challenge coins are a lot bigger than a 25 cent piece.

That is no small achievement. Even for a seasoned shooter.

Even military sniper challenge coins are a lot bigger than a 25 cent piece.

we drilled proper mechanics and breathing a few days before. Sight alignment, sight picture, how to hold the rifle on the bench, points of contact, cheek weld, and trigger press and first of all.... safety!!

He was doing well with his dry fire practice so I'm hoping the drills we did made the difference on the range. Also, I really have that rifle dialed in with ammo. When it came to the precision shots I handed him the Vmax 55 gr rounds and reset the dials to that particular ammo... it's like a friggen laser beam.

That's freaking awesome!!! Glad he's diggin it, and I know that feeling, you can see it in his expression, it's accomplishment and gratification, it's fulfilling after having practiced and seeing the pay off. It builds confidence and character. I'm proud of him, he did really well!

I need to spend more time with my daughter on the dryfire and mechanics and unfortunately she has the attention span of a goldfish lol! Ok, it's not that bad, but maybe closer to a lab pup.

That's freaking awesome!!! Glad he's diggin it, and I know that feeling, you can see it in his expression, it's accomplishment and gratification, it's fulfilling after having practiced and seeing the pay off. It builds confidence and character. I'm proud of him, he did really well!

I need to spend more time with my daughter on the dryfire and mechanics and unfortunately she has the attention span of a goldfish lol! Ok, it's not that bad, but maybe closer to a lab pup.

lol based on the videos she seems to have a good grasp on how and when to fire. Plus she crushed the clays!

Got some still pics from video I still haven't cut yet. First shots with both rifles:

35760214485_af77874eb6_z.jpg

35628356751_e12358f086_z.jpg

Water Monkey sighting in

34950219923_fd47259e52_z.jpg

That is outstanding! So much fun that I am sure the both of you will never forget! Hitting a quarter with any bullet at 100 yards is excellent shooting. Congrats!
That quarter would now be my lucky charm!

I love the M1 shots. Cases in the air. The first one has the chamber still open! Great work.

Back