• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First NRA Highpower Match

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Did my first service rifle match over the weekend. Had a fun time. Lots of things I need to work on. And got some help and tips from some of the master and high master shooters on the line after the event to tighten up my foundation.

Had to borrow a rifle from the club due to the fact my Garand build wasn't cycling properly so I'm still problem solving that. So with an unfamiliar rifle and being a complete noob on how a full match and shooting program is run I had a pretty terrible run in standing. I thought it was going to be 2 sighters, 10 shots, break. Then do the second 10 shot string but it turned out to be 22 shots for 22 minutes with the first 2 shots going towards your sighters. I misunderstood and was fumbling around for more ammo halfway through it. Rushing and pushed shots off. As you can see in the scores.... might as well used a shotgun.

Sitting I did better and I sighted in better. But my form is a little off. I got some help on my form and I hope I can refine that position to be more consistent like my prone.

Prone I did well for the 300 yard target for rapid fire.

Prone slow fire was the same as standing - 22 shots for 22 minutes. I paid attention to that but I should have slowed down and adjusted as I went along. I was pulling left and I could have corrected if I wasn't a rush monkey.

All in all... an experience. You can only get better from sucking.

Do shit that challenges you.

Water Monkey

35036538193_853b89b551_z.jpg

This is exciting despite the score!

And I feel the way you do about being challenged. I get bored with stuff if I'm not. I always look ok forward to the next time to see what I can do differently.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think you did good.

I can't even picture myself shooting at 600 yards. You'd smoke me after the first shot rang out.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think you did good.

I can't even picture myself shooting at 600 yards. You'd smoke me after the first shot rang out.

It's still shooting at 200 yards just at a reduced sized target.

I still suck lol

Great job WM!!

You are much more daring than I. That is something I know I need to work on.

Lucky then, because even a tiny 3 mph Breeze at 600 yards is like 9mph wind at 200.

That's just enough to screw me around & especially if it's gusting.

When I was in WI '05 - '11 I went to our club's Service Rifle matches and the Garand matches. The club owned 2 M1 rifles and would lend them to anybody who wanted to shoot. Shooters just had to buy the club ammo for them.

I really liked those matches. I shot my own Garand, but I am not a skilled rifleman. The range crew was willing to take time to instruct and advise on technique and stance and sling prep and mat layout and all the little things that the newbies rely on.

Congrats on your 600 sim scores. Mine were in the 60 range usually, but I liked to think I could actually hit CoM at that range---sometimes.

Our "fee" for shooting consisted of a round of scoring and a round in the pit pulling targets. Great comradeship.

images

When I was in WI '05 - '11 I went to our club's Service Rifle matches and the Garand matches. The club owned 2 M1 rifles and would lend them to anybody who wanted to shoot. Shooters just had to buy the club ammo for them.

I really liked those matches. I shot my own Garand, but I am not a skilled rifleman. The range crew was willing to take time to instruct and advise on technique and stance and sling prep and mat layout and all the little things that the newbies rely on.

Congrats on your 600 sim scores. Mine were in the 60 range usually, but I liked to think I could actually hit CoM at that range---sometimes.

Our "fee" for shooting consisted of a round of scoring and a round in the pit pulling targets. Great comradeship.

images

Legit! Trying to get my 308 M1 build working. Have to open up the gas port picked up a 3/32 drill highspeed bit today to get more gas in the chamber to stop this short stroking. That's what I want to bring in Sept for the next match I can make. Hope I can get it working and zeroed in before then. Otherwise I'll use the loaner rifle again but now I know the zero for me. Wrote that down after the match and the local master shooters were more than willing to work on my fundamentals for standing and sitting.

Really blessed with the willingness of these riflemen to sit down with noobs and give them wisdom. GD shame NY is a shitbox for firearm owners.

WM> Trying to get my 308 build working...That's what I want to bring in Sept for the next match I can make.

OK. Now you have me totally fired up to start popping my 30-06. What is the date of your shoot? I'll take mine out to the 200yd range the same day and post my 600 sim target I shoot that day. Like a long distance forum email match!

The rest of you MO readers w/ service rifles, hop on board. How about it?

upload_2017-7-12_20-34-47.jpeg

lol Game on 9/10

Have a USPSA pistol match in August I'll post video. Hoping to have my new custom pistol come in by then to work that beeatch in that match. At 12 weeks now on the build.... dont ask it's gonna be introduced in my Water Monkey project thread.

WM> What is the date of your shoot? I'll take mine out to the 200yd range the same day and post my 600 sim target I shoot that day. Like a long distance forum email match!

The rest of you MO readers w/ service rifles, hop on board. How about it?

Would an M1A count?

OK. That is 3 of us in the Trans Universal Service Rifle Match.

If you want to be added to the list, just Like this message and we'll see how it grows.

slow fire is one round loaded at a time. 22 rounds for 22 minutes.

First 2 rounds are sighter rounds. Remaining 20 rounds are on record for points.

Back