• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anybody like to shoot .22LR bolt rifles for fun or hunting? What you running?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I have my fantastically accurate 10/22 that is almost all Volquartsen including the tensioned carbon barrel but for real fun I just love my bolt action twenty-two rifles.

Does anybody else like to settle behind the sights and plink away, or hunt small game (I gave that up a while back), or chase accuracy, or seek longer ranges on target?

Ammo is back in stock so I am shooting thru my stash and ordering more, and gosh I am having rimfire fun again.

I have my fantastically accurate 10/22 that is almost all Volquartsen including the tensioned carbon barrel but for real fun I just love my bolt action twenty-two rifles.

Does anybody else like to settle behind the sights and plink away, or hunt small game (I gave that up a while back), or chase accuracy, or seek longer ranges on target?

Ammo is back in stock so I am shooting thru my stash and ordering more, and gosh I am having rimfire fun again.

My little Savage FV-SR is my favorite gun to shoot. I have a Sparrow silencer for it and it's amazingly quiet. It'll do anything I ask it to, including critter control, bench rest paper punching, and also makes an excellent youth trainer since it's a bolt action.

I still can't believe it myself, but it shot a dime-sized 10 round group at 50 yards the last time I had it on a rest. I kept expecting a flyer or for me to screw it up. I was shooting Wolf Match Extra when I made that group. I immediately ordered another 500 round brick, now that I know what my rifle likes!

722fac271d1ed10b5d356350698873cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Savage FV-SR is highly desirable in my life. I've watched about two dozen YouTube videos on that gun and it looks very tempting. I want one pretty bad, but I would have to change out the stock if I scope it too much.

Nobody has a negative thing to comment about it. I want one.

I need to get some updated video while using the bolt actions with my latest form 1 silencer. In all honesty, it's MORE quiet than one of the newer pellet guns. It's simply amazing even if I do have to say so myself.

I only have "a few" 22 rifles. I have two that I enjoy shooting more than the others.

Ruger 10/22 that I've shortened and threaded the barrel. Upgraded the mag catch, replaced the stock with one that I did a water immersion camo dip (natural gear camo), added a bipod, 1.5-5x shotgun scope, modified a weaver rail to a picatinny, swapped to one of the better BX trigger groups and magazines. It can make a big fat hole at 25 yards.

Can't find a photo of it since photobucket screwed everyone, but here's a pic of the stock after I dipped it.

index.php

The other, a Savage Mk2 FV-SR. Awesome little gun right out of the box. If you plan on scoping a 22 bolt action, this is a fantastic starting point. The plastic stock is a little on the flimsy side, but not as bad as some people make it out to be as long as you're not hogging all your weight on it. The gun is lightweight, 16 inch barrel is compact and balanced well. The large handle is welcomed.

I hand painted this one with krylon and a few pieces of sponge. There are about 4 different colors on the stock that don't show up real well on a camera, but blends well in person.

headshot squirrel 22.jpg

My youngest son has claimed my old Savage Mk2 so by all intents and purposes it's his now. I bought it several years ago from my nieces fiance'.

I did a Realtree water immsersion camo with the help of my youngest son, I lathed a large bolt handle like the one on the FVSR because he liked it better. Threaded the barrel. Added a Bipod. He likes to use irons so that's the way it's going to stay. It would probably be just as accurate as the FV-SR if he scoped it, but he likes plinking with it. He can peg shotgun shells with it at 20 yards pretty regularly with the irons, so the little red dot that's in the picture isn't on it anymore.

mk2%20camo%20018_zpse6rfyh2k.jpg

Where are the pictures of yours Nitesite?

I'll get some after I get a new hosting site.

I sure do love shooting .22 LR bolt rifles.

The Savage FV-SR is highly desirable in my life. I've watched about two dozen YouTube videos on that gun and it looks very tempting. I want one pretty bad, but I would have to change out the stock if I scope it too much.

Nobody has a negative thing to comment about it. I want one.

If you're shopping for a Savage bolt .22, take a long hard look at their new model, the B22 FV-SR. I don't own one (yet), but it looks to be a better gun in all respects.

You'd still have to pry the original FV-SR from my cold, dead hands, though. Which is the same reason this guy owns both, too:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magazine on the new models would be a plus. Looks similar to a Ruger 10/22 mag. I have a few 5 and 10 round old style mags. But they're about $20 a pop, and I never liked them. So, I will say the magazine may be a positive, as long as it can be cleaned internally when needed and it's reliable.

I don't personally like the way the new bolt looks though. I like the old "fat" style a LOT better. I don't cycle the action the way that's done in the video. I use my trigger finger to lift up the bolt and pull it back and push it back in place with my thumb. That way I leave my hand in place and it's a lot faster back on target after reloading. And to be honest, more often than not, I continue looking through the scope while I'm cycling the action.

The barrel/bolt face I don't know about yet. It's a little unusual from what I could make of it in the video. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think would need a lot of testing before I made up my mind about it.

*I haven't experienced any problems cycling, even with shooting a lot of suppressed ammo. Granted that my can is a 9mm suppressor so there isn't going to be a lot of blowback/fouling, but at the same time, it's a bolt action. Fouling happens, but not near as quickly as a semi auto does. Back pressure is gone by the time you unlock the bolt. So, I don't pretend to know what he's talking about cycling issues due to fouling. Contrary to popular belief, I do clean my guns occasionally. But I stand by my earlier observation.

The older stock isn't terrible to me. And I am still using the factory stock. Personally it is a non-issue for me. If it bugged someone enough, you could always fill the internal channels with epoxy and thin diameter wood or aluminum dowel rods. That would certainly get rid of any flex that you may experience. Cost would be minimal. $10 maybe for materials and a tube of epoxy.

The safety is different on the newer gun. I don't think that it's better, or worse. Just different. I don't ever use a safety on a bolt action anyway.

Bolt open, gun is safe. There's no way it can go off.

A safety on a bolt action gun exists only to keep the company lawyers happy.

I don't have the Savage, instead I went for a Ruger American Rimfire 22" rifle. It has been superb with its bedded action and fully free floated barrel. hammer forged barrel and an amazing trigger very much like the Savage Accu-Trigger.

It uses the perfect 10/22 flush 10-shot magazines or the BX-25 OEM 25-rounder plus it has the extended magazine release. And it is 100% Made in USA instead of Canada or Mexico or Turkey.

I still hope to get the Savage one day although I doubt it will be any better and it would necessitate a cheek riser or different stock if I scope it At least Ruger sends two stock cheekpiece inserts with each gun to optimize irons or a scope.

Heck, as the thread wants to discuss there is really no reason NOT to have a lot of fun with a .22 bolt gun no matter where it comes from.

Well...I own a Marlin Model 80C Bolt Action with a Micro Grooved Barrel originally purchased in 1960...per the original owner who sold it to me.

Found it at a flea market in Shamokin, PA....waiting for the Valley Gun & Country Club in Elysburg, PA...down the road from Knoebels Amusement Park.

It was sitting on a table in a gun rack and a few toy rifles / BB guns. I noticed it was a real rifle... picked it up...and the owner said $100.
I worked the bolt...looked it over...and then I countered with $75...he said $80 and I said it's all I got...so, he said SOLD.

It came with two original 7 round "Clip" magazines.

The Model 80 line was manufactured between 1934 and 1970...( with most before 1968 having no serial number on the gun. )

Production Timeline:

Model 80=>>> 1934-1939
Model 80E=>> 1934-1940
Model 80C=> 1940-1970
Model 80DL=> 1940-1965
Model 80G=>> 1960-1965

Never bother to scope her, as she is a great little plinker with the iron sights it already has...

kzE18JY.jpg

Well basically I joined here because of .22 which was the Mossberg 353t. The magazines were lost and I was trying to find new ones.

But since then I have purchased two Savage Mark II (the varminter and the bull barrel) bolt action rifles. I bought my wife and nice 10/22 and I bought myself a used Savage Gill gun, a new Henry lever action, a Ruger Mark 3 pistol and a North American 22 mini revolver.

So I guess I own 7 .22s and I do like shooting them all. The bolt action bull barrel Savage is the most accurate of all but I don't like the Plastic. My daughter is supposed to bring me a piece of old Walnut log which I can hopefully make a new stock from.

Yea...it was a good find nitesite...considering I was waiting around after breakfast on a Sunday Morning for that Skeet/Trap range to open.

I've got a little CZ 452 Varmint that I love... its the most accurate gun I own, and it has won me several club competitions... :sniper:

I bought it 2nd hand a few years ago, the stock had some marks on it, but the action and 16 inch barrel were spotless. I've done a trigger job on it using one of the kits available and now the trigger is a few ounces.... too light to take out hunting, but this is a range queen, so is only used on the bench. (I did do a "bump test" and its safe, just very light).

It has a cheap Richter 8-32x50 scope on it which works great.

With SK Standard Plus ammo it will group into one ragged hole at 25yds.

I would like to replace the stock at some point with something like a Boyds, but nothing is available here in the UK at a reasonable price... I don't want to spend £500 on a fancy stock to put on a £200 gun..!!

Back