• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Old Mossy, thanks for the photos. In the first photo it appears that there is no detent there and it is there in the second photo. Very helpful.

As I was cleaning up after working on the Shockwave first, I found a small spring on the floor and second, I found the detent on the seat of my chair. So all I have to do is just stake the detent in position and be done. The detent has a small point on one end. This point looks just right to fit the grooves in the mag cap. I'll try the detent without doing the staking first before I do the staking to make sure the point goes out towards the mag cap.

"If you should find the need to gain quick separation from a post-apocalyptic mutant zombie horde, I can think of no better weapon than the Ducati Diavel Diesel.....the quickest 0-60 mph time of any production motorcycle Cycle World has ever tested..."

It seems to me the Shockwave would look right at home tucked into the new Ducati.....:cool:
2017-diavel-diesel.jpg

I have fired a few rounds through my Shockwave. I need to do more to get used to the gun. Initially I'm finding holding the shockwave up and sighting down the barrel a little awkward. Most likely due to both the new method of holding and lack of practice with it. I'm thinking of mounting a Viridian C5L that I have. This will give a green laser and a 100 lumen tac-light on the upper rail. I would mount the laser to the rear of the rail so that I could sight over it if I had to. This setup will make it easy to hit firing from the waist height or the rib cage height. I would have the Big Dot to back up the laser.

Thoughts?

Rails can be bought very reasonably, and since you have the laser/light, go on and mount it. Be sure to post pictures and give a review on how you like or dislike the setup. To my knowledge, no one on this site has done this yet.

I thought it was a diesel powered Ducati...not a accessorized one.
I did too when I saw the article headline. The post wasn't meant to be a discussion on bikes, but on the fact a Shockwave would add to the bikes theme.
I'm just makin' small talk.

Rails can be bought very reasonably, and since you have the laser/light, go on and mount it. Be sure to post pictures and give a review on how you like or dislike the setup. To my knowledge, no one on this site has done this yet.

I have a rail on order. I'll let you know when it arrives. I used to use photobucket to post pics but they no longer allow that. What do you use to post photos?

Last edited:
I have a rail on order. I'll let you know when it arrives. I used to use photobucket to post pics but they no longer allow that. What do you use to post photos?

I use imgur and like it. Easy, fast and free. All of my pics on this forum are hosted on imgur.

Which rail did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a picture in my computer. Then look to the lower right of where you are typing on this website, and click on "Upload a File". Choose to show it in thumbnail or full size. I like full size. Then click on Post Reply.

I worry about tinkering with it too much. It may end up in the corner with the AR with too much crap on it.

I worry about that too, but, once I have tried the things I am curious about, I can remove the ones I don't like. So far I am happy with what I have done.
I've tried to think it out thoroughly first. I am not putting on everything available to the AR platform.....just things I think will be useful for me.

Be very careful of those that are "just looking." They don't always travel alone.

The one thing I want to do is install a heat shield on the Shockwave. No one makes a heat shield that fits the Shockwave (yet?). Does anyone know of a heat shield that fits the larger barrel diameter (590A1 profile) of the Shockwave that can be mofified to fit the Shockwave's shorter barrel?

First of all, thanks to: DarkPassenger308 for the IMGUR photo-site suggestion, as I too was caught-up in the Photobucket nightmare! Finished the last of the upgrades to my 590 Shockwave, I'm "done" (for now...). I added a GG&G sling plate/hand stop, a SJ&J Hardware high visibility Delrin follower, the OPSol mini-clip, and most recently (photos below, thanks to IMGUR): Talon rubberized grips, XS Big Dot tritium front sight and the ProMag PM262 enhanced safety with the Mossberg Safety Hex screw from SGFLLC.
Everything, but the new safety
z6W6lvG.jpg

XS Big Dot Front Sight
M4fwHOu.jpg

Talon Grip Detail
SWI1DA8.jpg

New Safety and Screw
qLlp378.jpg

Hex Screw detail
oq8v3Bf.jpg

Did you know that the red dot does not indicate that the safety is on and is only a "training aid"?

To quote the 590 manual:

The safety is set in the “ON” (SAFE) position by moving the safety button
fully rearward into the safety detent. The button will now cover the red dot
(Fig. 2). The red dot is a training aid used only to show the direction of the
“ON” (SAFE) position and should not be used as an indicator that the
safety is “ON” or ”OFF.”

And I thought that the safety was on when I couldn't see the red dot. Who knew?

Roger that, plus we train to never trust/rely on any mechanical safety. The only safety you can trust is "your brain and index finger position", especially for safeties that only block trigger travel, with non-drop-safe firearms. We also carry our duty shotguns "cruiser-ready" (hammer down on an empty chamber, action-bars released, safety off and magazine tube charged)... I do that for home defense too. Good to see someone at Mossberg (well at least the Attorneys that probably tech-edited the Owners Manual) agree! I was also impressed that the Mossberg owners manual (at least some of us read the manual...LOL) instructs unloading of the shotgun manually, via the magazine tube and shell stop. Rather than just racking shells through the action!

It is important to be familiar with every guns safety, because they are not always alike. For example a CZ rifle safe direction is opposite of a Remington 700. That is why your trigger finger is always your #1 safety.

Do any members have a 590A1 with the Mossberg heat shield (part# 16335P) installed? This would be for the 6 riund model. If so, what is the exact length of that heat shield? I've looked and I can't find the measurement. I'm trying to see if the heat shield can be modified to fit the Shockwave.

Back