• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I added a GG&G sling plate/hand stop

M4fwHOu.jpg

Does the sling plate with sling give you a sense of hand security that you could remove the foregrip strap?

First of all, thanks to: DarkPassenger308 for the IMGUR photo-site suggestion, as I too was caught-up in the Photobucket nightmare! Finished the last of the upgrades to my 590 Shockwave, I'm "done" (for now...). I added a GG&G sling plate/hand stop, a SJ&J Hardware high visibility Delrin follower, the OPSol mini-clip, and most recently (photos below, thanks to IMGUR): Talon rubberized grips, XS Big Dot tritium front sight and the ProMag PM262 enhanced safety with the Mossberg Safety Hex screw from SGFLLC.
Everything, but the new safety
z6W6lvG.jpg

XS Big Dot Front Sight
M4fwHOu.jpg

Talon Grip Detail
SWI1DA8.jpg

New Safety and Screw
qLlp378.jpg

Hex Screw detail
oq8v3Bf.jpg

That`s a fine looking lead slinger ya have there!

580b585b2edbce24c47b283f.png

Does anyone on here know the dimensions/size of the sling swivel stud that is now being put on the Shockwave birdshead grip?

Does the sling plate with sling give you a sense of hand security that you could remove the foregrip strap?
I plan to keep the strap on the forend, however the sling plate/hand stop could be a back-up in a rush and I didn't get my hand in the strap. Primary purpose in my case, was as sling mount. I utilized a M1 Carbine type sling, like the Witness Protection shotguns had in the 1980s. Very easy to deploy from a muzzle down position.

I don't have actual dimensions, however if it helps, I used the standard QD sling swivels from Uncle Mikes, similar to this set below and it attached with no issues to the Shockwave birdshead grip stud:
http://www.unclemikes.com/accessories/shotgun-swivels/mossberg-590-835
The reason I was seeking the dimensions of the stud is that I wish to put a nylon spacer in-between the head of the stud and the grip itself. They have it tightened and it is not square without the spacer.

Thanks! Finally getting to head out to the country this weekend and pattern her, plus a friends Benelli SBS and also run a few rounds in my Serbu AOW. Looking forward to breaking-in the Shockwave!
Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Let us know how it went.

GGG Lite Mount3.JPG I received my light mount from GG&G, Model 1655R. It mounts behind the tube nut. It can be mounted on the left or right, forward or rearward. I mounted it rearward and to the left. It works well for my light. However, the results with mount and light, is bulky. The position is ideal for operating the light and cast the light in just the right direction. The mount is well made, and fits tight to the Shockwave, but does not impede the sliding of the foregrip. It only takes a few racks of the slide to feel comfortable with the mount on the weapon. The only issue is bulk, which cannot be avoided. Ideally, there should be high intensity lights mounted to the tip of each new shell, casting a beam down the barrel.......:D
GGG Lite Mount 1655R.JPG GGG Lite Mount2.JPG

I actually just received a set of GrovTech QD sling-swivels in the post that will do the trick for my to connect to my MagPul single-point sling. I am a happy-camper.

I'll try posting some photos.

Here is my Shockwave. I've added:

The OR3Gun competition mag follower. This follower is anodized aluminum that is teflon coated, has a longer skirt and is in a blue color for easy identification. It also has a protruding center section to prevent jams on the last shekk in the magazine.

XS Sights Big Dot

ProMag enhanced slide safety

Talon Grips grip wrap in rubberized texture. This really helps to improve the grip.

NcStar Picatinny rail

Viridian C5L weapon light/green laser

OPSol mini-clip for if I ever find the mini shells.

The two light photos are of my shed door at about 7 - 8 yards and into the yard about 25 -30 feet to the green dot. I mounted the C5L upside down at the rear of the rail where can reach it with my trigger finger.

100_0350 (Small).JPG 100_0346 (Small).JPG 100_0330 (1) (Small).JPG 100_0340 (Small).JPG 100_0321 (Small).JPG 100_0347 (Small).JPG 100_0349 (Small).JPG

100_0352 (Small).JPG 100_0353 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
It's not a quick release. There is a screw that needs to be unscrewed and pulled out from the sight. Next slide the sight off the rail. Now there is a large groove down the middle of the rail that allows you to see the Big Dot but you have to estimate just where the target is because the sight blocks most of the view. Here's a thought - mount the sight on a QD release rail section that can quickly be removed. Is a QD Picatinny rail (about 2" to 3" long) available?

It's available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Slot-Quic...454456a&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=221637080493

Last edited:
If the laser/light dies then you just "modify" your aim. At household defensive distances, if I aim at his crotch and hit him in the chest, it works. I think I'll still mount the QD rail section.

Forest, hanks for the suggestion. I went through my parts bin and found a QD riser. I put the sight on the riser a little forward of where it was to prevent a "hook" setup and having the sight catch on something.

Attachments

• 100_0354 (Small).JPG
    100_0354 (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 18
As you know, I used the Talon Grips grip wrap in the rubber texture. It really holds the hand good. Talon also offers the wrap in a sand texture but I think the recoil with the rough sand texture would eat up your hand and maybe draw blood. The leather sounds good but I don't have the skills to do that.

One problem is that , because of the size, the C5L lasts only about one hour with both the laser and the light on. It has a 100 lumen light that can be on, with and without the laser, or in strobe mode with and without the laser. The laser can be steady or pulsed.

I'm still waiting for the aftermarket to pick up the Shockwave. I hope a company will offer more than the 590 accessory line...get a bit outside of the box.
I'm disappointed there are not more Shockwave owners speaking out on this forum. I have researched the number of Shockwaves sold, but have had no luck.
I'm bored with the corncob fore grip and the smooth birds head grip. How about something more interesting than the fore grip strap. I see the value in the grip strap, but geeeze can't someone make one with a bit more testosterone. I have a great replacement screw for the thumb safety, thanks to Jason, but I don't see it offered as a Shockwave item. I can list more, but my wife wants to go for a golf cart ride....wine and beer....and that is more important. Please excuse my ramble...I think it is time the after market step up. The after market could make the Shockwave a very popular weapon.

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Let us know how it went.
I had the opportunity on Friday to finally take my Mossberg 590 “Shockwave” out and properly pattern her. In addition, I also brought my NFA-AOW Remington/Serbu 870 “Super Shorty” too for comparison. I was impressed with the below results and have full confidence in using the Shockwave as the new car/trip defensive unit!

590 “SHOCKWAVE” With 14” Barrel

9Dpk6ZU.jpg

SPECIFICS:
Using the Aguila 1 ¾” mini-shell buckshot (7 pellets of # 4 buck and 4 pellets of # 1 buck each)
3 yards = 4” spread
5 yards = 5”
7 yards = 10” (limit of the A-Zone)
10 yards = 12”
20 yards = 17” (limit of the B-Zone)

c8kyGjU.jpg

870 SERBU “SUPER SHORTY” With 6.5” Barrel

R5D8z1M.jpg

SPECIFICS:
Using Federal & Winchester Ranger “Low Recoil” LEO .00 Buckshot
3 yards = 4” spread
5 yards = 6 1/2”
7 yards = 9” (limit of the A-Zone)
10 yards = 12”
20 yards = 19” (limit of the B-Zone)

U1Pkgft.jpg

BOTH 590 & 870 SLUGS
SPECIFICS:

Using Winchester Ranger “Low Recoil” LEO Slugs (870/Serbu) and Aguila 1 ¾” mini-slugs (590/Shockwave)
Fired from 20-25 yards (the C-Zone), un-supported, standing/free-hand, two-hand hold
3 Masking Taped Areas = 590 Shockwave with 14” barrel
3 Un-Taped Areas = 870 Serbu Super Shorty with 6.5” barrel

ZC4OkIx.jpg

All Aquila mini-shell/slug rounds were fired in the 590 with the "OPSol Mini-Clip" and I found it 100% reliable, no FTFs/FTEs all morning long. I did remove the clip and also fired some of the Federal/Winchester Ranger LEO/Low-Recoil 2 3/4" .00 Buckshot and also found her reliable, but of course with much more pronounced recoil! The mini-shells with the rubberized Talon grip were truly fun to shoot with no real felt recoil.

Last edited:
Here are what I found for use with my MagPul single-point sling on the Shockwave. These are from GrovTec and come to per package, so two-point use is an option for me now, too.

Attachments

• grovtec03.jpg
    grovtec03.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 18
Back