• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Hi. I need some help.

I took apart my FILs Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 last night to clean it including the mainspring housing and the spring between the mainspring housing and grip frame. Put it back together and now the hammer doesn't lock back. I can squeeze the grip safety and the trigger functions as far as going from not being able to move to moving with the proper travel but whatever engages the hammer to lock it back isn't doing its thing.

Been a while since I had mine that far apart, but I do remember the leaf spring being difficult to get back in properly, IIRC there's three leaves to it, an they have to be positiond in 3 different planes. I'm pretty sure I had to do some Google and YouTube to get them back in right.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
0234dd19f7da6114a426055a7612b4d3.jpg

Did the disconnector and sear and hammer get removed and re-installed as well, or just the MSH and flat spring?

Not sure if i can explain properly im not home to make you a picture. But common occurance your sear spring tab is probably not on top of the sear foot. Il pull one apart when i get home and make a pic if you dont have resolved already.

Last edited:
This is as far as I took it down. Though this photo doesn't show that flat spring or leaf spring.

image2.JPG

Looking at the photo above Diesel posted, it looks like it might be the prong if you will all the way to the left that I have out of place. Maybe?

I won't be home to try again until about 6 or 7 this evening.

I haven't stripped my 45 down that far yet. I soaked all that internal stuff in oil and blew it out with an air hose when I first got it, but that was about it.

But I'm looking forward to this and now I know it's going to be a little bit fussy to get things back in order.

This is as far as I took it down. Though this photo doesn't show that flat spring or leaf spring.

View attachment 15660

Looking at the photo above Diesel posted, it looks like it might be the prong if you will all the way to the left that I have out of place. Maybe?

I won't be home to try again until about 6 or 7 this evening.
Just home heres a quick pick not best photographer holding pistol flashlight and phone. Hope helps.
20170717_180502.jpg 20170717_180429.jpg

That helps! How do you remove the grip safety?
Can vary slightly but after obviously safing the pistol.
I can simply move hammer rear then rotate thumb safety ON or UP. Grasp safety and pull away from frame wiggling(technical term). Once its out the grip safety simply slides out with little effort. Ps dont loose dentent spring etc.. For thumb safety as you pull wiggle safety out. Hope i made that understandable? Sorry i can do this stuff in my sleep but explaining it may not be my strong point.

lol, true that! I actually didn't even tell him about it, just hoped I'd have it fixed before it became important!

I only offered to clean it because he said it was malfunctioning. I took it apart and began blasting it with some sort of gun wash, I think it's made by Winchester. But it has the tube like a can of wd40. It ran black on to the paper towels. What little oil was left was gummed up with powder residue. It was actually sticky in places. Parts all look good except for the barrel link and where it's pinned to the barrel. That's pretty well worn.

I like the idea of separating the fixes from the rest.

Everything about that thing is beautiful but for whatever reason, my favorite part is the one piece magazine well/mainspring housing.

Not that anything else doesn't stand out because the attention to every detail is obvious. But I love the bobbed grip and magazine well with all its bevels and curves.

Back