• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Let me know if you want a blued heat shield. I have one new in box i don't think I'm gonna use and will give you a good price if I am not using it :)

Thanks, but I think I will wait and see what the aftermarket develops. I have the Big Dot front sight as well, so I see a bit of a problem trying to mount a current model heat shield. MarkB1 has been working on his heat shield, and has the Big Dot, and mounting problems. I think TerryH has the best mounting system, but he doesn't have a Big Dot and is able to use the front bead as a mounting point.
I shot a few minutes ago, only six times, and barrel heat was not a problem. I would have shot more to get her heated up good.....however, I have an arthritic knuckle on the top of my foregrip index finger, and the hand stop slams back hard around that knuckle (and it freakin' hurts). It is not forgiving like the strap. I'm back to the drawing board.

Okay. I tried a couple ideas and then this. I moved the hand stop to the left rail, which put the stop in the fleshy area between my thumb and index finger. I fired another six rounds.....No more pain. It actually fits better and feels safer than having the stop on the bottom. My hand feels very secure. Another benefit is, it keeps all "protrusions" ( side saddle and hand stop) on the same side, so it seems less bulky. I don't have a place for my light, but I wasn't planning on one from the beginning. I'm smilin' again.
Stogie With Hand Stop on Left.JPG

Here is a picture showing how the hand stop fits the hand. I am surprised at how comfortable it is like this. (stupid name engraved in it)
Keltec Hand Stop.JPG

Here is a picture showing how the hand stop fits the hand. I am surprised at how comfortable it is like this. (stupid name engraved in it)
View attachment 15958

I like that grip and the name aint too bad considering all the evil that`s in the World these days and it`s better than Springfield`s Grip Zone! :)

You guys are killing me with all this Shockwave talk....I found myself pricing one! o_O

Yes.

I think it's more comfortable too. More rounded.

This photo is from my scorpion pistol, but hopefully you'll get the point.

left view
thumb stop 001.JPG

top view
thumb stop 002.JPG

right view
thumb stop 003.JPG

I have noticed in a newer video (8/9/2017 by Reynolds Outdoors) that the strap on the newer Shockwaves has "Mossberg" in white letters on the forearm strap. Has anyone else noticed this? It appears to be a progression of the Shockwave - first add the grip sling stud and then the lettered strap.

Side note: weather permitting I may be able to fire my Shockwave on Monday. I'll put a few slugs, high brass shot and buckshot through it to see if the heat shield stays in place. I'll report back.

Here's a hoot. My lgs has a pack of five 12 ga slugs for $25 if I remember correctly. The slugs are 12 ga incendiary slugs! Just what you need if you run into a rabid propane tank!

Last edited:
I have noticed in a newer video (8/9/2017 by Reynolds Outdoors) that the strap on the newer Shockwaves has "Mossberg" in white letters on the forearm strap. Has anyone else noticed this? It appears to be a progression of the Shockwave - first add the grip sling stud and then the lettered strap.
I've seen that with an American flag.

IMG_4802.JPG I am constantly experimenting with possibilities for the Shockwave. A lot of us are going about modifications without assistance from the aftermarket. I bought two different tapes to try on the Raptor grip. One is a black/grey camo and the other is black. The camo is not much better than masking tape and very hard to mold….notice the wrinkles in the tape when trying to follow contours of the grip. However, notice the black stretchy tape. It conforms to the shape no matter the contour (Doc's recommendation). For those looking for a comfortable, shock absorbing, grippy tape, this stuff is amazing. I used almost the entire roll. It has a bit of a MadMaxx look, but it is a simple fix for those folks who find the factory grip slippery. It is an easy, inexpensive way to personalize your Shockwave and get some benefit from the money spent.
http://howieshockeytape.com/store/hockey-tapeIMG_4800.JPG

Last edited:
I've never had a gun with a heat shield. Looking at the various comments and methods of mounting, I can see it must be a quick and simple mounting system, to make easy cleaning of the outside of the barrel. TerryH I like your method the best so far. I have mounted the Big Dot (and I like it). "IF" I go with a heat shield I may be looking at buying another barrel......ugh.

I've never had a gun with a heat shield. Looking at the various comments and methods of mounting, I can see it must be a quick and simple mounting system, to make easy cleaning of the outside of the barrel. TerryH I like your method the best so far. I have mounted the Big Dot (and I like it). "IF" I go with a heat shield I may be looking at buying another barrel......ugh.

Rico/Stogie you may be able to trade with someone who wants a Big Dot but hasn't bought one yet.

By the way I hooked up with XS and my new bead will be here today. I have dealt with XS for several years and their customer service is top notch.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

I had my name changed back to Rico. I have been Rico to my close friends for decades. I named my Shockwave Stogie.
I got myself confused with the name change.:confused:
Everyone please excuse the silliness of an old man.

Glad XS took care of you.

I wonder what that beast weighs when loaded.

I don't think I even care. lol... The magwell tubes are out of stock at Adaptive Tactical but I don't think I can resist giving the drum a try once the parts are back in stock. :D

So the drum feeds directly into the tube. How does the spring push back on the new shell (to send it on to the receiver) without interfering with the next new shell coming up from the drum? Confusion is my forte!!

The heck with beauty when you can have a beast!
demo ranch.jpg

Last edited:
Back