• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Heat Shields

I'll let you know if it works- or not! Without having the heat shield in hand it looks like I'll have to cut a hole for the Big Dot sight and the front screw may just go on in front of the mag cap. I'll see what happens.

I ordered the Mossberg heat shield for the 590A1 with the heavy barrel (part #16335P, $30 plus shipping.) to give it a shot. Mossberg also sent the nuts, screws and spacer (not used) with the heat shield. I have the Big Dot installed and the heat shield needs to slide down the barrel to go on. I cut a slot for the Big Dot. It is long enough for the heat shield to fit over the Big Dot when the front restriction is at the muzzle. I rounded all the corners of the slot. This way I just place the heat shield on the barrel and slide it to the rear in place. I also had to reduce the rear corner of the screw hole plate so it would clear the magazine cap. The heat shield is long enough to fit flush with the end of the muzzle. I used Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touch Up Cream to blacken the bright steel areas from the cutting and filing. To remove the barrel just unscrew the magazine cap while sliding the barrel forward at the same time. To install the barrel place the magazine cap in place with the barrel forward and move the barrel to the rear while turning the magazine cap into position. The Big Dot clears the heat shield so it can still be used if needed. The stud sticking up in the rear heat shield photo and the full Shockwave photo is part of a C clamp I used to install the heat shield. There may be a problem with the heat shield shifting under recoil and trying to come off the barrel. I'll have to try loc-tite under the front band if that happens

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Last edited:
Morning all. I joined here a few days ago as I just got my Shockwave. Thought I'd throw out my take on the Mossberg heat shield on the Shockwave. I stole part of this from other guns I saw on Facebook etc... so not completely my original idea. I have the Mossberg #95065 heat shield which I realize now is not actually meant for the heavy barrel. It's already installed so guess that doesn't matter now. lol... I cut the mounting tabs off with a cut off wheel and drilled a hole where the bead sight was mounted. That gives an attachment point on the muzzle for an M3-.05 screw. I used a soft face dead blow hammer to form the heat shield to conform a bit tighter to the barrel to clear the Magpul for end. It's quite secure and still functional.

I ordered the Mossberg heat shield for the 590A1 with the heavy barrel (part #16335P, $30 plus shipping.) to give it a shot. Mossberg also sent the nuts, screws and spacer (not used) with the heat shield. I have the Big Dot installed and the heat shield needs to slide down the barrel to go on. I cut a slot for the Big Dot. It is long enough for the heat shield to fit over the Big Dot when the front restriction is at the muzzle. I rounded all the corners of the slot. This way I just place the heat shield on the barrel and slide it to the rear in place. I also had to reduce the rear corner of the screw hole plate so it would clear the magazine cap. The heat shield is long enough to fit flush with the end of the muzzle. I used Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touch Up Cream to blacken the bright steel areas from the cutting and filing. To remove the barrel just unscrew the magazine cap while sliding the barrel forward at the same time. To install the barrel place the magazine cap in place with the barrel forward and move the barrel to the rear while turning the magazine cap into position. The Big Dot clears the heat shield so it can still be used if needed. The stud sticking up in the rear heat shield photo and the full Shockwave photo is part of a C clamp I used to install the heat shield. There may be a problem with the heat shield shifting under recoil and trying to come off the barrel. I'll have to try loc-tite under the front band if that happens

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Mine was $42 plus shipping :-(

My qurestion for you is this: why do you think it'll shift under recoil? Is the band at the front not aboe to be tighened down enough to keep it in place? If not, rather than loctite, why not put some rubber or something under there to give the barrel a little more girth and grip for the band to tighten down on?

Any movement may not be a problem. I do know that the normal installation of the heat shield requires the use of the spacer that rests against the barrel magazine loop to lock the heat shield in place. That can't be done with my installation as the mounting screws are in front of the barrel magazine loop. I've cranked down on the mounting screws and put blue loktite under the front band. This should hold the heat shield in place. There really is no room for placing anything under the band. It's a snug fit. If it does move under recoil, I'll try red loktite under the band. The final thing to try is to drill and tap the heat shield and the barrel just above the two mounting screws on the curve of the front band. This would positively hold the heat shield in place, but it is a last resort. There will not be a problem with any gas pressures from firing. The factory brass bead is drilled through the barrel wall with no problems. I can't move the front heat shield band back to the barrel magazine tube and drill and tap it there. The Big Dot doesn't allow the band, at that point, to clear the muzzle when removing the heat shield. The drill and tap would also retain the simple appearance of the installation.

I won't get a chance to fire the gun for about two weeks or so.

Drill and tap here on both sides.
100_0362 (Small).JPG

You can bet the aftermarket will offer a heat shield for the Shockwave. I am anxious to see what mounting system they come up with.

I agree. AimPro already has one. There are several ways to mount a heat shield on the Shockwave. We'll have to see what shakes out that is functional and not too expensive.

So, I have a non heavy barrel heat shield i am trying to adapt (I wanted a blued one) to a 590 barrel. Has anybody done this without simply cutting off the mounting flange at the front?

I have a few ideas.

Barrel is .935ish outside diameter. Inside diameter of the heat shield was .87 or something. I dont remember.

I bent it a little. its closer to fitting. We're at about .905 so i need 3 hundredths of an inch to get it to slide on. I could probably bend it a little more, my issue here is that it'll essentially raise the mounting holes, and i'm afraid it'll be too close to the barrel.

My next move is going to be to grind/ream out the inside of the front band slightly, to get it to clear. Then, smooth it out with sandpaper and a dowel. This seems reasonable as I believe the total thickness of the inner band is .98and change, but I dont have it in front of me. I only need to remove .015 from each side of the band to get it to clear. I dont think this will result in it being too thin or two weak. Especially since I bent it out a little already and that gave a little more clearance at the bottom open part.

Perhaps a stupid question but is there a reason that a Big Dot could not be attached to the heat shield instead of the barrel?

Perhaps a stupid question but is there a reason that a Big Dot could not be attached to the heat shield instead of the barrel?

I didnt do any of the above builds, but i dont see any reason you could not do that. .

My plan for my heat shield is to drill and tap the shield, not the barrel, for a big fat brass bead. I would intend to do the exact same thing for whatever sight or bead I install. A drill bit and tap is like $12 on amazon...

I didnt do any of the above builds, but i dont see any reason you could not do that. .

My plan for my heat shield is to drill and tap the shield, not the barrel, for a big fat brass bead. I would intend to do the exact same thing for whatever sight or bead I install. A drill bit and tap is like $12 on amazon...

I think I might just attempt this.

Any movement may not be a problem. I do know that the normal installation of the heat shield requires the use of the spacer that rests against the barrel magazine loop to lock the heat shield in place. That can't be done with my installation as the mounting screws are in front of the barrel magazine loop. I've cranked down on the mounting screws and put blue loktite under the front band. This should hold the heat shield in place. There really is no room for placing anything under the band. It's a snug fit. If it does move under recoil, I'll try red loktite under the band. The final thing to try is to drill and tap the heat shield and the barrel just above the two mounting screws on the curve of the front band. This would positively hold the heat shield in place, but it is a last resort. There will not be a problem with any gas pressures from firing. The factory brass bead is drilled through the barrel wall with no problems. I can't move the front heat shield band back to the barrel magazine tube and drill and tap it there. The Big Dot doesn't allow the band, at that point, to clear the muzzle when removing the heat shield. The drill and tap would also retain the simple appearance of the installation.

I won't get a chance to fire the gun for about two weeks or so.

Drill and tap here on both sides.
View attachment 15912

I had a chance to fire the Shockwave with the heat shield today. The heat shield did not move at all. I fired 15 rounds of slugs and then 5 rounds of Federal 4 Buck (27 pellets) within just a few minutes. Again, the heat shield did not move. Not even a little bit. I used a coating of blue loktite under the front mounting band of the heat shield and tightened the mounting screws very tightly. The shield was just a little warm after the 20 rounds and the barrel was hot. I had fired a few rounds of 00 buck and 4 buck just before when I patterned the rounds. I'll post some photos in a day or so.

Good for you Mark. I know you were glad to see the shield and Shockwave stay together. So what's next? Got any other projects for the Shockwave?

Not yet. I have found that the more I shoot the Shockwave, the easier it becomes. You have to learn just how to handle the recoil.

I had a chance to fire the Shockwave with the heat shield today. The heat shield did not move at all. I fired 15 rounds of slugs and then 5 rounds of Federal 4 Buck (27 pellets) within just a few minutes. Again, the heat shield did not move. Not even a little bit. I used a coating of blue loktite under the front mounting band of the heat shield and tightened the mounting screws very tightly. The shield was just a little warm after the 20 rounds and the barrel was hot. I had fired a few rounds of 00 buck and 4 buck just before when I patterned the rounds. I'll post some photos in a day or so.

OK, here are some photos. The first is the muzzle with the heat shield BEFORE shooting and the second is the muzzle with the heat shield AFTER shooting. Notice that there is no movement of the heat shield from the recoil forces. The advantage to using the Mossberg heat shield (part # 16335P) is that it is sized to the heavy barrel and you don't have to modify it or bend screws to fit to fit. I also like that it is parkerized and has no shine to match the rest of the Shockwave.

100_0362_1 (Small).jpg
100_0380 (Small).JPG

The next photo is patterning for Federal Premium Personal Defense, 4 Buck, 34 pellets at 7 and 10 yards. There are a lot of holes there! Each 4 Buck pellet is .24" in diameter (.24 cal.).

100_0381 (Small).JPG

The next photo is for Winchester Super X, 00 Buck, 9 pellets at 7 and 10 yards.

100_0382 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I took a regular 500/590 heat shield, and ground out the front band.I wanted it blued to add a touch of class to my build. Maybe half an hour or an hour with a dremel, then some brass hardware and BLAM!

I'm awaiting a drill bit for my 3-56 tap so I can add a fat brass bead to the heatshield itself, rather than through into the barrel.

Untitled
Untitled

I actually put some heat shrink on the screws to make it a bit more clean.
Untitled

Looks like Mossberg changed the barrel and mag tubes on the newer 590’s and they can now easily fit the factory Mossberg heat shields. 2016< model on top 2017> below it.
42849693030_310e54c269_z_d.jpg

Back