• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Short (9 minute) video I made!

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
i haven't really tried any videos in a long time with little exception. This is the first I've done on a computer in years. And it's still way low tech! :) Oh, and there's kinda a shout out to @Water Monkey, sort of. Something you said in another low tech production of mine!

Interesting patterns w/ the 00 Buck. I am guessing the wad is deformed by the compression of the choke.

I am not much of a shotgun internal ballistics guy, but I would love it if you would show the guts of the wad/pellet geometry in a couple of pix from an unfired shell. It would also be interesting to see what recovered wads from each of the bores look like. Just fire down range into the empty field so the target backstop doesn't tear them up further.

I really liked the video. A little mystery helps.

What happens with the ported tube is that the ports prematurely strip the wad away from the pellets totally rendering useless the FliteControl technology. The FliteControl wad doesn't work like a typical shotgun wad, it has something more like fins on a drag car (or whatever, I know little about sports or racing and I don't follow either). Or imagine the way a shotcup opens, now turn it around and that's how FliteControl works. So it stays with the shot longer.

I think it was originally designed as a law enforcement round to prevent stray or errant pellets and was meant to be used in cylinder bore (or at the very least) not a ported barrel or tube which counter acts any gains.

I think the answer can be found in this video. See what the pattern looks like from his 870 cylinder and the Bennelli M4 with a modified choke. Exactly as I thought. The wad is deformed by the tighter choke and separates at less than 9 yards, but the cylinder carries the shot inside the whole nine yards. See the good part at 7:00 to 8:10.

For some slo-mo goodness watch this:

That's some cool stuff!

I have some older and crappier video where I was testing the Federal, Hornady, Winchester SuperX, and Winchester Ranger out to 25 yards. The Federal FliteControl was the only one I tried farther because I had the wad embedded in the target and it still had a pellet in itand the rest of the pattern could be covered by my fist. I shot all those with the 590A1 I used to have, it performed amazingly, measurably better than the 500 Persuader. But I don't have it anymore.

I suspect based on the videos you posted, there are more than a couple things that can/will interfere with the FliteControl. I never tested it in a flush mount choke tube like Benelli's modified, only through ported tubes. Compressing shot (too much constriction for the shot size) definitely causes issues like pellet deformation which ultimately means uneven flight due to flat spots and divots. I hadn't imagined this could be the case with non ported tubes that were at least the correct size but that FliteControl was definitely intended for cylinder bore guns. Additionally, ported tubes have always been a no go with FliteControl. The particular choke I was using is an exit diameter of .690 which isn't that constricted as far as 12 ga guns go. But more than a cylinder for sure.

Moral of the story;
Use FliteControl loads in cylinder bore guns. Use chokes for everything else. Except for steel shot. Throw that crap in the trash.

That's some cool stuff!

I have some older and crappier video where I was testing the Federal, Hornady, Winchester SuperX, and Winchester Ranger out to 25 yards. The Federal FliteControl was the only one I tried farther because I had the wad embedded in the target and it still had a pellet in itand the rest of the pattern could be covered by my fist. I shot all those with the 590A1 I used to have, it performed amazingly, measurably better than the 500 Persuader. But I don't have it anymore.

I suspect based on the videos you posted, there are more than a couple things that can/will interfere with the FliteControl. I never tested it in a flush mount choke tube like Benelli's modified, only through ported tubes. Compressing shot (too much constriction for the shot size) definitely causes issues like pellet deformation which ultimately means uneven flight due to flat spots and divots. I hadn't imagined this could be the case with non ported tubes that were at least the correct size but that FliteControl was definitely intended for cylinder bore guns. Additionally, ported tubes have always been a no go with FliteControl. The particular choke I was using is an exit diameter of .690 which isn't that constricted as far as 12 ga guns go. But more than a cylinder for sure.

Moral of the story;
Use FliteControl loads in cylinder bore guns. Use chokes for everything else. Except for steel shot. Throw that crap in the trash.

Thanks for shooting the flitecontrol thru a choke. That's the kind of stuff that's good to know before folks try hunting with that combination.

Excellent post, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot more I could have said or I could have tried to do the video to make a point one way or the other. But I really didn't want to try to put this in a pretty package. I just wanted to shoot a couple guns and let people see what they do when things are changed up. I didn't want to edit anything out and I don't like talking on camera so you get what you get.

On another note, when I was patterning for a decent coyote load (I actually read the choke manufacturers recommendations which suggested buckshot as being suitable in their tubes and what they called "high quality" ammunition) I tried all kinds of stuff like Winchester 3" DoubleX and Federal and Hornady loads. All was plated and buffered, or FliteControl control. All of it performed like crap but oddly it was a Hornady VersaTite load that did the best. Not what I expected. When I talked to the makers about my findings they said things like I can't use cheap ammo and expect good results. I asked what they'd suggest as good ammo then and was told something high quality, plated and buffered... which it was. This is altogether another story, but the point is that you can't solely go on manufacturers recommendations. I know they test stuff and put a lot into developing a choke but shotguns are quirky. You got a do your part and pattern them. And practice, as obviously I'm out of practice lol!

^This is exactly why everyone should take the time and a couple of shells and actually SHOOT their guns and pattern them to see how they're going to perform with particular combinations.

I do appreciate the testing too.

One thing I have noticed with the flite control, they bill the wads to separate from the shot sooner than other wads do.

If you look at a flite control wad, the slits on the bottom of the shot cup act like an anchor on a boat. Meaning the wad is a lot more stable than other wads that usually just have 4 slits down the sides.

maxresdefault.jpg

The flite control is better for spreading the shot out sooner, but personally, on some things (like 00 Buckshot) I don't want a big spread. I want them to perform like slugs until they hit what I'm aiming at. Then upon contact, spread out in whatever erratic way they want as they're cutting through what I hit.

My experience is different in that I've had the wad stay with the shot out to 25 yards. But that's only been in one gun.

More reason to test to see how it's going to work.

I know we've talked about this a lot. Even 2 guns exactly the same, 2 shells out of the same box are going to shoot different. You can write it in stone.

Shotgun videos should typically include beards and vice versa.

This is one of the unwritten rules of manly gun culture.

The only criticism I will voice is this: talk less, shoot more. ;)

Shotgun videos should typically include beards and vice versa.

This is one of the unwritten rules of manly gun culture.

The only criticism I will voice is this: talk less, shoot more. ;)

I really don't like to talk on camera. This was my attempt at brevity lol!

I don't like to talk on camera either. I usually add captions ;)

I enjoyed the Beard Monologue ;) Oh Snnnnnnnap

I thought it was well balanced with info and shooting. Don't watch my videos. I'll talk your ear off

Just saw this good video. Hopefully it prompts others to actually test there chosen gun ammo and even choke combinations. It takes some time it takes some money but its sure important and heck its FUN !!!
Nice job and thanks for tak8ng time to post.

Back