• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat and Accuracy??

Heat will affect the barrel in many ways which can affect accuracy. This is not uncommon.

Mine is only super accurate on the Cold Shot. Which is okay if I want to go hunting. Subsequent shots will string about 3/8 to a half an inch at 50 yards.

Because I'm a target shooter it's not my favorite gun. But it is one of my favorite toys. ;)

That being said I have absolutely no doubt that there are ways to improve the accuracy, but mine is a light carbine, so it's not designed for heavy duty action to begin with.

I'll try it one more time soon. Next time I will allow it to cool in between shots and will use my Gun Vise to eliminate any Cant problems.

The gunsmith fix for the cycling/timing problem works great. The rifle cycles very smooth now.
Bill

Used the gun vise today and was averaging 2" groups at 50 yards. It was cold and windy so not ideal conditions. Looks like the rifle is capable of 1 1/2" to 2" groups if I do my part.
Bill

I did some work on mine today because the extractor had broken.

Anyhow I cleaned it all & changed the extractor and the firing pin and put it back together.

I deburred the new extractor carefully around the edges that would rub on the receiver, because I noticed the old one wearing.

Anyhow the gun seems much smoother now that it is broken in, cleaned and lubed, and that I changed that extractor. It must have been deformed, so I guess I'm lucky that I broke it. The new one does not rub on the receiver.

I suspect that extractor was deformed from jamming the bolt forward on a stove pipe.

I did get out and shoot the 464 and it functioned better than ever.

I suggest that anyone with a balky 464 have a good look at the extractor, and buy a spare for $7.

If there is rubbing wear at the "T" it needs to be changed properly.

If you just snap it straight on the bolt, it is bent. It must be snapped on the "wrong" side, where it goes on quite lightly, and then rotated around the bolt into position.

It will function, but drag a bit and then get much worse the first time there is a stovepipe, and you accidently jam the bolt against the spent casing.

My 464 likes to start walking around on the paper when it gets hot. Anyone else have this problem?
Bill

It has been a very long time since my last post and I offer my apology. Life has thrown us a few "curve balls" and we have been disabled, so as to speak.
To remind everyone, my 464 would "walk" vertically and after a terrible lot of trouble, an O-ring in the fore end channel fixed the problem. I heard of a solution for broken rear barrel band screws which involved putting a piece of rubber between band and barrel. Obviously, all of this involves experimenting with thicknesses, for instance.
Good luck ko4nrbs,
Bill

Well it sounds quite logical.

I remember someone saying that the fix for the Ruger number 1 when it strung like this was to put a small hex nut in the forearm, I think it went in between the barrel and the mainspring mount.

I haven't tried messing around with my rifle to improve accuracy, except that I put a good scope on. That's 90% of the struggle for me.

Any sort of scope would be better than my eyesight:( but my sunnies have a distance correction now and the multiple fore sights I used to see, are now only one. Have not tried them out yet. So many rifles, so much shooting to do................;):rolleyes:

Yes that's what they call a first world problem.

I have more toys than I deserve and more than I can keep up with in a totally responsible manner.

Somehow this does not stop me from also wanting a sailboat and an airplane.

Unfortunately my eyesight keeps me from flying these days, so the airplane will probably wind up just being a camper but I'm still working on that sailboat . . .

My problem is that after four or five shots my aim is walking around. :(

But my Cold Shot at 100 yards is far away from the subsequent shots, and they string out by 1/2" each. That's about the best I've ever done with the 464.

They seem to string vertically down and slightly to the right but that might be me too.

Here's an example and the Cold Shot is the highest shot on the target.
20171006_060224.jpg
That was shot off of sand bags on a concrete bench. It's no target gun but that's good enough for deer hunting

Hi hombre, mine would string vertically. Does yours do that too?

I had the same problem and it has been so long all I remember is some bullet weights, after the first shot...wherever it went, would string up from low left towards the bull. Others went from the bull down to the right. I have no idea why, but I may have found one problem and fixed it. But I have not shot it since I polished the bore with JB polish. I had a friend bore scope it and it is slick as a whistle and he said it was the slickest whistle he ever saw but he couldn't find anyplace to put his fingers. I think he thought I meant something else.

Anyway, now that my legs are much better weather is beginning to get all fallish and winter-like so I don't know if I will be taking it out anytime soon. I did save some very tight grouped targets from a 50 yard sight in but not much after that and no written reports. I plan to pick some apples tomorrow but maybe I will just get store boughts and save some driving time and go shoot the 464 and pattern my new Maverick 12 ga. I may take the clay thrower but it may be hard to use without a person to yank my chain. So to speak.

I will report back if i go to the range.

Back