• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choke for steel shot

Going to do some turkey hunting and the property next door is WPA so I will need steel shot to wander over there. Have some 3" #2 steel. As it has been 30 years since I used steel shot I need input on a choke tube. Thanks in advance.

I've always heard that steel shot should not be fired through anything smaller than a modified choke.

A modified choke tube did well in my 500 against ducks last year.

I shot steel shot for the first time today and now I know what all the fuss is about.

I was shooting Remington NitroSteel 2.75" Magnums but they did not feel quite as deadly as my lead buckshot loads.

(cylinder bore, BTW. Strictly a scattergun.)

I've always heard that steel shot should not be fired through anything smaller than a modified choke.

A modified choke tube did well in my 500 against ducks last year.

Depends on what the choke is made of. I believe Carlson and other choke makers make tighter chokes that are compatible with steel. Check out http://www.lg-outdoors.com/default.asp
They sell Carlson's at a good price. At least they did when I ought in between chokes for my Maverick barrels.

I'm not familiar with brands as I have not duck hunted in many years but I have seen ads for lots of waterfowl chokes. They have come quite a way over the years and there are a lot of new offerings that when used with some of the newer loads are pretty effective.

For some reason Black Clouds comes to mind as one I've seen. Carlsons has a large variety of tubes for most guns: www.choketube.com

Are you allowed to use any of the heavier varieties on non toxic shot? I would opt for the heaviest option I could for turkey.

Most factory chokes in newer guns are steel shot compatable.

My buddy has killed a lot of turkeys with an old 20g 870 with a modified choke. Its all about finding a good load and keeping shots within your effective range. While it is nice to have a gun that will reach out 40, 50 or more yards, its not a requirement (despite what the ammo and choke tube makers try convince us.)

Max for steel is #2 shot. I am putting the mod. choke in my pocket along with 5 steel loads. If I cross over I will have to leave my leads loads behind. I read up on it and it seems a mod choke shoots like a full with steel shot.

of course since you have a removable choke I would guess your gun is ok for steel shoot, if its an old gun with a choke added you need to be sure the gun will survive steel shot, old guns were not meant to launch steel shot and the barrels will take a beating with steel

Back