• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To Flex or not to Flex

I can definitely see your point. Who is your vendor? Mossberg? Have they been contacted?

index.php
Tombstone Tactical out of AZ, shotty shipped from Louisiana. already emailed them and Mossberg; highly doubt barrel was swapped out prior to shipping as the Flex 500 comes in its own REALLY NICE carrying bag.

what made it more confusing was the #50124's website pic vs the "high res download" pic showing the former without porting and the latter with porting.

Hence the question is, whoever has a #50124 out there, did it come with porting?

If it did, then there's definitely no chance barrel was swapped as #50124 and #55117 are the only two tan 28" barrels out there.
If it didn't, either my #55117 got swapped with a #50124 or Mossberg simply makes the #50124 and throws in the extra short barrel, grip, foreend, and bag and call it a #55117.

granted its from their 2012 promo, but you can clearly see porting at 3:32:

Last edited:
Just got this back from the manufacturer....no more ported barrels from Mossberg!

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we no longer port any of our barrels at all and no longer have the mechanisms in which to port. If you provide me with the serial number of the firearm I can verify which model you have.
We do apologize for any inconveniences these pictures may have caused, these are used a general guide and my marketing team is working on new pictures to avoid this in the future. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

I'm a little late to this but you can swap your mag tube and barrel with that from an 835, 535 or 500. (You will still be limited to 3" shells.)

I use a 500 slug barrel on my 835 with no issues.

I'm a little late to this but you can swap your mag tube and barrel with that from an 835, 535 or 500. (You will still be limited to 3" shells.)

I use a 500 slug barrel on my 835 with no issues.
thanks, seems like Mossberg won't be porting any of their barrels, including the 835 and 535. curious if any recent owners of either models with advertised ported barrels can chime in.

i bought it more for a nice cosmetic feature...reading up about it it's not that necessary for my uses. just sad that Mossberg can't update their page to state something that key.

I have ported and non ported barrels. I primarily use them for hunting so the only difference I notice is an increase in sound, esp.when shooting turkeys out of an enclosed tent/blind.

There are many places out there that can port them for you if that is important. You can even do it yourself with a little patience and tool skill. Some extended choke tubes have porting cut into them as well.

I just pulled the trigger on on model 55117 from Cabelas. The picture clearly shows a 28" ported barrel. Once I get it in my hands I'll send some pics. I'm not too concerned. It would be nice to have them but it's not a must have.

I'm going to make a promise to myself that this will be the last mossy pump I buy (it's my forth)!!!

I just pulled the trigger on on model 55117 from Cabelas. The picture clearly shows a 28" ported barrel. Once I get it in my hands I'll send some pics. I'm not too concerned. It would be nice to have them but it's not a must have.

I'm going to make a promise to myself that this will be the last mossy pump I buy (it's my forth)!!!
That's a nice combo, get a nice 20" vent ribbed barrel for it, I found the 28" barrel keeps bumping into things.
BEFORE:
YKY1aOG.jpg

AFTER:
R1T3IFN.jpg

Insider, I'll have to get it out on the course and see. Good to know there are many options. I do get a 18.5" barrel (no chokes) as part of the package. Does the 20" come with chokes??

Insider, I'll have to get it out on the course and see. Good to know there are many options. I do get a 18.5" barrel (no chokes) as part of the package. Does the 20" come with chokes??
Yes, it came with the screw in chokes, I set mine to modified.

Picked up my new 500 Flex from Cabela's yesterday.:)
500 Flex.png
I just finished the initial tear down and cleaning. Like all Mossberg guns the bores were very dirty out of the box. Fit and finish are good. No porting on the 28 inch barrel as I suspected. The only blemish on the gun is the front sight. It's a piece of red optic pipe in a small holder. It points ever so slightly to the north and east. Not sure how it is fastened to the barrel rail. Seems to be pressed in perhaps maybe screwed??? It's a sporting clay's gun for me primarily so it's not going to matter much. A bead would have been satisfactory. I really like the coloration on this model. Came with 3 chokes and a choke wrench. I'm going to install the improved cylinder for my first outing with the gun.

The tactical fore end and pistol grip also fit and function well. The pistol grip is hard to get on and off and at this point requires a slight tap from the rubber mallet. No big deal. The chances that I use the pistol grip are slim. The 18.5 inch barrel with the full stock are better suited to me for a home defense configuration. I already have 3 other Mossy pump guns for HD.

The tactical fore end itself is pretty flexible. Rails at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. The bottom rail can be replaced with a shorter version (also supplied). Left and right pressure pad mounting locations.

The but pad seems well made, it's soft and interchangeable. You need to buy additional sizes. This one seems fine for me.

If I include the pistol grip then this gun can convert into 4 individual configurations. Not bad for the $577 I paid.

Also come with a rally nice carry bag with a tailored pockets for the 2 barrels and extra external compartments for accessories and stuff. You can put everything you need in this bag (including shells) and take it to the range. Very nice!!

Lot's of plastic but it seems well made and thick enough to be reliable for the long hall. It's not a go to war gun it's a go to the range gun. The shot gun in it's 28 inch field configuration is fairly light weight and shoulders nicely. Looking forward to blasting some clay with it!!!

Does anyone know of a recoil pad that can replace the one on the 6 point adjustable flex stock?

at this point, it's prob better to get an AR stock to swap it out instead. Note that milspec stocks might actually not work! i tried to put my B5 Bravo Stock on it just to see what happens and it had issues fitting. (https://www.lonestararmory.us/shop/...15-stock-assembly/b5-bravo-stock-milspec-blk/). of course you can swap it for a milspec buffer tube and go from there, making it compatible with any AR stock.

Back