• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Old 16 gauge day!!

upload_2017-10-30_6-42-26-jpeg.271795

Mom gave me this on Saturday..this used to put meat on the table when my Grandparents were starting out. It’s a Ward’s Western Field Model 60 SB-620A ,same as Stevens 620A, 16 GAUGE, made from 1923 to 1955..thinking this is more a 50’s model..but still researching..my Gramps would have had to got it second hand, unless he got it in the Navy..
upload_2017-10-30_6-54-26-jpeg.271797

20171029_122638_hdr-jpg.271798

All I can smell is Hoppes No.9 LOL..bore is still in amazing shape, barrel is clean, it got some well needed love..some minor surface rust, and very minor pitting on the right side of receiver..barrel has a few spots were the blue faded..stock has some wear, but it's all character to me! I would like to replace the recoil pad, I'm sure I can find one..or even just take it back to a butt plate..the rubber is rounded off from years of use..and it slips on the shoulder a lil bit..not bad though..but some new fresh rubber wouldn't be a bad thing.

Gonna take it out to the range next time I go. Glad to still be able to find 16 gauge shells! I have a rag tag old hunting shell assortment to shoot..hell, I remember shooting PAPER shells out of this thing as a kid!

It will live on.

Last edited:
I like 16 gauge the best myself. It's lighter than a 12 gauge and the wallop is just about as good. Then again maybe I just have a soft spot for Orphans.

My 16 gauge came from Sears Roebucks, and it was very old when it came into my hands. It has an odd model number and construction that makes me believe it was built right after VJ day.

I have no idea how many owned it or how much game it took, but I know in the '60s it was owned by a sheriff's deputy and so I imagine it took a couple of two-legged predators back in it's day.

You have to keep the file size under 1 Megabyte for them to upload here.

But then you can attach them directly here and you don't need to use Photobucket at all.

Yeah, there's a lot of us guys who appreciate a good sixteen. You're in good company ;)

I told you that you're in good company ;)

western field 001.JPG

western field 002.JPG

western field 003.JPG

Mine was manufactured by Noble Shotguns. And has an adjustable "vari-choke" on it.

Though in all honesty, I prefer a fixed improved modified choke on 16 gauge shotguns, but I guess it's good to have the ability to change choke constriction if I wanted to.

Ya know, to be honest, I've never tried. I don't think so though. But I'll check next time I go out.

Mine does..and I learned that the HARD way..nearly scared the hell out of myself as a kid when I racked it and went off..(down range safely luckily) ....my Gramps was stern..and reprimanded me about having my finger on the trigger when I racked it...but then replied.."NOW do it on purpose"..he told me a story that he bet a guy his new A5 that he could shoot this faster by slamming it..he won..but told the guy to keep the A5..I think I saw Jerry Miculek prove this as well..

Just got it out of the safe and dry cycled it and pumped it.

Didn't slam fire while empty at any rate.

From grandpa to dad to me. Papa's old Browning sweet 16 i dont use it very much anymore. Its a full choke gun and helped feed my my grandparents dad aunts and uncles. My grandpa was a relatively poor man this would have been a huge expenditure for them they never owned a car till after my dad went in the Army and bought them one. He and his brother and sisters grew up in a one room house(shack) with dirt floor south of Tuscaloosa were my grandpa sharecropped and logged with a mule team. So aquiring this gun mustve been some event. 20170515_170836.jpg 20170515_170915.jpg

Dj,. I used to hunt with a friend back in the day that had a browning almost identical to that one, only in 12ga.

Thanks for sharing the story of that one.

I never lived in a dirt floor shack, but I've been in a few. I can tell you now, those women kept that floor swept so well that the dirt was packed like concrete.

Back