• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Movie suggestions.

Unbroken

Four years ago I read Laura Hillenbrand's book Unbroken. The book was marvelous, though a bit dark. It dealt primarily with the experience of Louie Zamperini's experience in a WWII prison camp after his bomber was shot down in the Pacific.

The movie was disappointing because it was primarily focused on just two of the aspects of his experience, the life raft survival challenge and the cruelty of the sadistic Nip guard called "The Bird."

It is a great story... best told in the book.

images

Anyone like japanese anime?
Check out Gantz:O...cool stuff....

Relaxing day for me im watching classic from 1970.
Kellys Heroes. Its a good ole ww2 flick with clint eastwood tele savalas donald sutherlin don rickles carrol oconnor etc...

Oddball [Sutherland] is more of a hippie of the '60s than a misfit of the '40s. But it is a fun flick.

images

Oddball [Sutherland] is more of a hippie of the '60s than a misfit of the '40s. But it is a fun flick.

images
I would have to agree. A cross between a beatnik and a hippie for sure. I think it may be one of my fav parts hes played.

I will probably go see the new Blade Runner movie soon.

It was an interesting and tricky PC game, as well as a bizarre cult movie; but if you had seen the original movie and read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? the PC game was easier to win.

images

I generally like Sutherland's work as an actor, but I did not like this part in Kelly's Heroes, because it was so out of place in a World War II movie.

Absolutely nobody is that far ahead of the curve, and this is just some nonsense they threw in to pander to all the hippies. You have to remember that it was supposed to be an antihero counterculture movie.

I generally like Sutherland's work as an actor, but I did not like this part in Kelly's Heroes, because it was so out of place in a World War II movie.

Absolutely nobody is that far ahead of the curve, and this is just some nonsense they threw in to pander to all the hippies. You have to remember that it was supposed to be an antihero counterculture movie.
Ah see exact opposite for me i really liked it. Not a "war" movie its a total spoof with characters i can recognize and relate too from service. It seems every company had versions of those characters each certainly overplayed for sake of cinema but each recognizable. Sgt crapgame for instants theres prime example and the disinterested bumbling Captain for sure. Carrol Oconnor as "General Colt" with his entourage if you have had any exposure to such its pure hilarious. I dont really watch any "war" movies. But this kind was good fun and make chuckle thinking of past in good way.

You're right about the fact that it was a total spoof. I just thought it was a mistake to try and drag the hippies back to 1944.

All the things that you mentioned about the characters are true outside the military service as well.

You can put some guy behind a typewriter or a set of ivory handled revolvers and it will still be the same guy.

You're right about the fact that it was a total spoof. I just thought it was a mistake to try and drag the hippies back to 1944.

All the things that you mentioned about the characters are true outside the military service as well.

You can put some guy behind a typewriter or a set of ivory handled revolvers and it will still be the same guy.
Perhaps but each generation has had its counter culture i believe in 40's they were actually "hipsters"
In his book Jazz: A History (1977), Frank Tirro defines the 1940s hipster:

To the hipster, Bird was a living justification of their philosophy. The hipster is an underground man. He is to the Second World War what the dadaist was to the first. He is amoral, anarchistic, gentle, and overcivilized to the point of decadence. He is always ten steps ahead of the game because of his awareness, an example of which might be meeting a girl and rejecting her, because he knows they will date, hold hands, kiss, neck, pet, fornicate, perhaps marry, divorce—so why start the whole thing? He knows the hypocrisy of bureaucracy, the hatred implicit in religions—so what values are left for him?—except to go through life avoiding pain, keep his emotions in check, and after that, "be cool," and look for kicks. He is looking for something that transcends all this bullshit and finds it in jazz.

Do ya like military humor, guns, zombies, hot women, snide jabs at mall ninjas ? Give Range 15 a watch. Its an hour and half escape from life. Its by vets for vets so If your a veteran its way funnier. Not for KIds !! Not for everyone. Need a mental health moment to defunk give it a watch.

Last edited:
Back