• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mil Surplus Sleeping Bags

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I have been thinking about getting my son a Mil surplus sleeping bag for Christmas. He is almost 16 and loves to camp. Once he can drive I expect he will be camping even more. I like that the military sets can be adjusted to different temperatures. I have a Colman bag that's good to -20f but it's to much unless it's 20f or lower. Does anyone have any opinions on the Mil bags? What to look for/avoid? Any recommendations on where to buy online? I'm looking for surplus in the $150-$200 range. Under $150 seems like hit or miss for junk (unless you have a great source for under $150).

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Goretex-Improved-Sleeping/dp/B0064UO57Yhttps://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Goretex-Improved-Sleeping/dp/B0064UO57Y

As a hiker I can only recommend something that's meant for hiking.

Mil surp bags are too heavy and bulky for my taste.

I will say add 15 degrees to a bags rating to be comfortable in. The rating is meant to keep you alive not comfortable.

Gotetex doesn't breathe as well as its advertised. I've woken up with condensation with a goretex bag before.

You should also be looking into a sleeping pad to insulate from the cold ground as well if you don't already have one.

Search eBay as well. Might find some good deals.

Having used ALOT a military ecws system around the world its a good system. The patrol bag alone and cover will suffice in most conditions. You mentioned driving and camping so for that id say its a prrtty good option. Being a civilian now and doing alot of hiking im a big proponent of lighter gear. But that eguals $$$ for many things. My bag of choice for hiking is the Z Pak 20 quilt. I like it because its roomy and literally weighs about 1#. My love for outdoors coupled with a battered body mean savong weight is imperative to enjoying hiking. So for a camping bag yes for a Distance hiking bag there are now better options.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ecws-sleeping-bag-system-3-piece-new?a=490242
Bounce over to the trek.com loads of info and reviews on such things from folks that "walk the walk"
And as Water said. Good sleep pad is of huge importance

I'll share my pack load out.

I'm classified as an ultralight hiker.

I go minalist in a few areas.

I'm a monkey so I sleep in the trees aka hammock.

I will say add 15 degrees to a bags rating to be comfortable in. The rating is meant to keep you alive not comfortable.
I did learn this the hard way. When he was 6 I gave my boy a 15 degree rated bag and I used the 30 degree one. It got down to 30 and I was up most of the night. He was sleeping soundly all night.

While we camp more now, he has expressed an interest in hiking and camping so light weight may win the day. Thanks for the reminder on the pad. That wasn't on my radar.

I'll share my pack load out.

I'm classified as an ultralight hiker.

I go minalist in a few areas.

I'm a monkey so I sleep in the trees aka hammock.
Depend on weather and trip im hovering around 15# base weight give or take a bit. So not ultralight but def shaving weight. In fact recently got one of the lil BRS titanium burners its AWESOMe so far and less than 1oz !!! I should do a lil review. 1510426377236-489614036.jpg

@carbinemike

Here's my series on hiking and things to consider - my website top bar "hiking 101" I go through everything start to finish.

https://watermonkey.net
@Djcala

My base weight changes on the season:

Summer - Base w/o food, fuel and water is 7.06 lbs
3 season (down to 30*F) - is 8.72 lbs
Winter (down to 0*F) - is 15.11 lbs

My name is based on my trail name. though several injuries have kept me off the trail... not to mention shooting has consumed my down time since the injuries slowed me down physically. Last time I was on a trail was in 2012 unfortunately. Though I walked over 120 miles for charity solo. Raised over $3k.

I dont think il ever be below maybe 10 to 12 pounds base. Theres just some comfort things i want. Ive done numerous sections on the AT. I did the camino De santiago(basically 500 mile walk) in spain in 2015. 2018 i will make my AT thru hike attempt SObO. I try to alternate walk and hike 3 to 6 miles a day right now. Doing a 10 mile full pack every couple weeks. I want to check the AT off bucket list next year. I go by Tinman on trail my army nickname. Il have look see at your web tommorsee i like seeing other load outs.

I dont think il ever be below maybe 10 to 12 pounds base. Theres just some comfort things i want. Ive done numerous sections on the AT. I did the camino De santiago(basically 500 mile walk) in spain in 2015. 2018 i will make my AT thru hike attempt SObO. I try to alternate walk and hike 3 to 6 miles a day right now. Doing a 10 mile full pack every couple weeks. I want to check the AT off bucket list next year. I go by Tinman on trail my army nickname. Il have look see at your web tommorsee i like seeing other load outs.

Took a few years to bring it down. Good luck! I've done NY, CT and half of Mass.

NY will slow you down. It's not flat at all.

Took a few years to bring it down. Good luck! I've done NY, CT and half of Mass.

NY will slow you down. It's not flat at all.
Penn is the mofo boulder and rock land. I know NY well spent 5 years in watertown. Spent some quality decompressing time hiking in and around Cranberry Lake area was incredible.

Penn is the mofo boulder and rock land. I know NY well spent 5 years in watertown. Spent some quality decompressing time hiking in and around Cranberry Lake area was incredible.

My favorite is hiking black mountain. Bear mountain in CT was practically vertical. Lol but damn was the sight at the top of CT amazing.

Mass is a wet bog land of hell birds... mosquitoes

Back