• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope suggestions

Last edited:
Well I've searched through hundreds of scope advertisements over the past couple days and it looks like I'm going to end up getting something in Basic Black.

:idk:

Have you looked at SWFA yet? I hate their new site but they've always had silver finished scopes in the past. Do you specifically want the Leupold?

Well I didn't realize there were so many inexpensive silver scopes available. I was starting to despair in a sea of $50 Chinese rifle scopes and then I saw this! Oh LORD!
Screenshot_20170108-181807.png

It was about $4k out of my price range. :doh:

That one is pretty fancy but it looked like there were a handful of potentials in there.

Yes, I have to get back and do some more shopping. I've been distracted by actual work plus lots of new reloading toys.

Anyhow I decided it won't quite be the end of the world if I have to buy a black scope.

My friend has one of those on his AR and it's pretty nice.

I ended up getting a Steiner 4-20x50.
It is black but it was a $1,000+ scope and I got it for half of that because it was a display model.
Screenshot_20170127-095038.jpg

It's a beautiful scope and I've done the best shooting of my whole life with it.

I have two scope's I'd swear by. Redfield and Nikon. Inexpensive and just work! I would not hesitate to get a Leupold based on their reputation. I think most people with hunting rifles tend to go over board with power in hunting scope's. Unless your a long range shooter blaster, You should never need more than a 2-7x scope. I do have a few with more power, two 3-9x's and a 4 1/2-14x. 3-9x works fine on a hunting rifle but I simply like my 2-7's better. One of my 3-9's is a very old Bushnell that has been preforming great a lot of years but, I did try a new Bushnell some years back and didn't care for it at all. Returned it and went with Nikon. I think another mistake is getting something with a bigger than say 3-9x40. Only real thing that happens is you need higher ring's to mount it. I also don't care for BDC type reticules either. I confine my game shooting to 300 and less yds and use a MPBR zero. Anyone of my rifle's can be held to pretty much dead on out to 300 yds. A duplex eliminates all that extra stuff that is not really needed.

I too really like Redfield (made by Leupold and in the same factory) and I think the American made revolution and revolution tac models are the only ones made now.

For me though, the 3-9 is the starting line and I could really use a little more past 100 yards. I also really want to begin venturing in to long range shooting and there’s no way that will be enough for me.

My Redfield has what they call the accurange reticle which I very much like. It’s not a BDC exactly by if you have a good accountant or understand ballistic calculators then each point will corespond with a distance. So far, using a 100 yard zero, each point afterwards is lie 250, 350, and 450. Again, I can’t see well enough to use those very well but neither have I tried. On a good day I might be able to do 250.

Some redfields are not made by luepold.

I made the mistake of thinking my battlezone 308 (now discontinued) was made in the US until I got it in my hand and it said made in the phillipines.

. . . Unless your a long range shooter blaster, You should never need more than a 2-7x scope. . . .

I have to tell you that this depends a whole lot on your eyesight. I don't know how old you are, but your opinion may change as you age, Don.

I shoot pretty good with a high-powered scope, but it takes me a while to aim. Not only are my eyes weak but they don't focus quickly either.

Anyhow I was never so happy at the range as the first time I went target shooting with my 20x Steiner.

I really lucked out when I bought that scope because it was display model and I got it for about 1/2 off.

I recently bought a patriot 308 and mounted a Tasco world class 3x9x40 ($50) on it and it works great, the glass is clear and sharp at all magnification, no edge distortion, light gathering is as good as my leupold rifleman, I actually can see deer with it at 200 yds. that I cant see with my eye in the late evening dusk, I actually had my 700 with the leupold on it with me at the same time, and the Tasco was ever bit as good, it comes with a lifetime warranty, its now seen some major temperature changes and weather conditions while hunting with no fog issues

I am not a glass snob, I don't agree with the spend more on a scope than the rifle its on crowd, I have a 6x24x40 world-class on a pre 64 model 70 target that's been on it for decades, I own and shoot under a lot of bsa glass as well, they have some great values in glass as long as you stay away from the cheap clamshelf stuff and buy their lifetime warranty stuff, and I feel the same about the tasco stuff stay away from the cheap clamshell stuff , buy what comes n a box with a lifetime warranty

I attended the jungle warfare sniper course in panama canal zone back in the 1970s before the army sniper school at ft benning was developed, we shot 3x9x40 with standard crosshairs, and learned hold over and how to judge wind, and I have no problems hitting 1 gallon milk jugs with a 3x9x40 out to 500 yds now, with my old eyes, the trick to shooting is to know where your bullet is at any given range and accommodate for that drop and windage.

a 30-30 is a very capable deer round out to 300 yds. if you know what you are doing, 3 weeks ago my nephew came to the farm to sight in his deer rifles, a 30-30 Rossi 94 clone, and a 243 t.c. he was shooting the 30-30 at 50 yds with standard buckhorn sights, his 243 T.C. had a 6x18 Nikon prostaff on it, after zeroing at 100 yds I asked him to swing around to the 300 yd steel swinger I had in the field, he stated that he did not think it could be done, I had him hold at 12 oclock on the 18" square target and he was hitting 7 inches low right where I thought it would.

them I asked him to use the 30-30 carbine, and he stated that no one could hit that target with a 30-30 at that range, so I asked him to hand me the Rossi, and three rounds and with me shooting offhand while sitting on the range table I showed him it was very doable, he stated that he would not have believed it if he had not seen it, and then he stated that the 243 hit the steel harder than the 30-30 and I explained that the 100 grain 243 was delivering over 1000 lbs of energy at that range, while the 150gr 30-30 was only delivering 640 lbs of energy at 300 yds., and that was 50% more energy than a 230 gr. 45acp was delivering at the muzzle.

so don't underestimate the old 30-30 round, it more than a 50yd brush gun

Back