• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR Hunter_Black

hombre243

.30-06
I have one on order and it is on the way. I have an odd question. I see the MMR does not have an ejector port dust cover installed. Can one be installed with after market parts. MidwayUSA emailed me and said it is possible the lower is not designed for a cover.

Anyone know for sure?
Thanks
h

Have you called Mossberg and asked them if it's possible...!?

O.F. Mossberg & Sons · Customer service
+1 8003633555

See...sometimes you just gotta go to the source.

Now...we all know the right answer.

See...sometimes you just gotta go to the source.

Now...we all know the right answer.

Yep. And it only cost me $15.00. I realized I did not need the cover anyway. 2 years ago when I got the MVP I HAD planned to get the MMR. Knowing I would hate losing brass in the grass I got a Caldwell brass catcher to hang on the AR. It is made just for an AR. Then I changed my mind and got the MVP. The catcher does not work on the MVP but it will work just fine on the MMR.

Now I have the port cover covered and also have the port covered...and did not know I had it all covered all along.

BTW, the brass catcher was $15.00 also

New MMR 101317.jpg Bud's notified me my FFL should have my new MMR by Friday. I will get it that day or the next. Can't wait.

**Update: Got it today. 10/13/17. I will post some range pics when deer season is over. It starts in Iowa tomorrow. (10/14/17)

Last edited:
Love the rifle. But I immediately replaced the trigger group. First time at the range/first 5 shot string went ok and accuracy was acceptable but on the second target I got 3 double taps and a triple. The new trigger group solved the problem for about $35.

Now I have a question. Is the rail an actual Picatinny rail or a Weaver/Picatinny? I had a one piece mount and ring set ordered and they got here before the rifle. When the rifle arrived the supposed Picatinny mounts would not attach to the supposed Picatinny rail. The reviews all say Picatinny but, is this now just a generic label someone puts on a rail with slots?

I found a set of rings in my junk box that worked with the rail but they are not tall enough. There are no gunshops close enough to me to try one on, so to speak. So, it looks like I have to ask and hope someone knows for sure.

If I were a betting man, since the gun was new and you were having trouble with the disconnector catching the hammer, I would look to check to see if the disconnector spring may had been inadvertently installed upside down.

I know you may think I'm crazy for suggesting it, but based on your first paragraph of your last reply, is why I mentioned it.

Last edited:
Can anyone say if the float tube is proprietary to Mossberg, or made by an aftermarket. It looks like a "necked down" Hogue. I've put the Hogue float tube on a couple hunting rifle builds. But I do like this style Mossberg uses.

If I were a betting man, since the gun was new and you were having trouble with the disconnector catching the hammer, I would look to check to see if the disconnector spring may had been inadvertently installed upside down.

I know you may think I'm crazy for suggesting it, but based on your first paragraph of your last reply, is why I mentioned it.

Nope, Not crazy...right on the money. I have a friend who works on guns. (Former USMC Armorer) He had just got a trigger jig and called me and asked if my new trigger came in yet...and could he have my bad one when I got the new one. He came and got the bad trigger assembly and called me a couple hours later and said the trigger was fixed. The toe of the disconnector need thinning at the tip. It was not catching the hammer. The enhanced trigger I got from Midway works perfectly. I am going to swap triggers with the Bear Creek Carbine I built a little over a year ago. I put a 3 lb Velocity trigger in it but I want to sell the carbine and reuse the Velocity in the MMR. I have done some extra work on both so they look different now. I will post some pics.

Looks like the MMR got forgot...no pics of the new collapsible stock. No big really, they mostly look alike. The Bear Creek Carbine looks ok too. I put on a new handguard, a Caldwell adapter for the brass catcher, removed the flash hider and capped the threads. One major problem out of the box was the bolt would not stay open on the last shot. I traced the trouble down to a too long recoil spring. I found the specs telling the normal number of turns of a carbine spring and a rifle spring and my spring was a rifle spring. Just to make sure I had not inadvertently switched springs I compared the spring in the MMR. Exactly the same length and number of turns. Then as my luck would have it, I dropped them on the floor. But...I looked them over and one was darker than the other and I remembered which was which. I think. I cut off the number of excess coils and now the carbine works beautifully. I installed a Velocity trigger but that will be reinstalled in the MMR.

I don't want to spend more money on AR stuff. I am not a fan. So when that is done...to the sale block she goes. 16.5" bbl, 1/7 twist. .223 Wylde chambering. It shoots ok. Maybe I will get it sighted in next time to the range but I have been in all winter, never hunted or anything. My legs quit completely. Doing better now. It's time for fishing.
Bear Creek Carbine.JPG

Not fancy...just fabulous.
This is stock except for sling and scope. I replaced the stock with a collapsible stock. I added a scope and bipod and that's the way it looks now. Nothing fancy, just fabulouser.

This somehow got separated from the original post of the MMR. It now has a collapsible stock and soon will sport a Velocity 3# trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those magpul slim handguards look nice and really comfortable to hold.

Back