• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Metal Shavings in Barrel???

Bigapark

Copper BB
Hi All,

I have a new Mossberg 590 Shockwave. I was at the range today shooting it and when I got home and started cleaning it, There were lots and lots of metal shavings coming out of the barrel. The gun was clean before I started shooting it.

I was afraid the lining of the barrel was coming off, but eventually I was able to clean them all out. I was shooting 00 Buck (9 lead pellets). Is this normal when shooting lead buckshot? I have limited experience with shotguns and would appreciate any help.

It could be some leading. Depends a lot of the composition of the shell you used. Not much else should be leaving metal shavings.

A lot of buckshot uses wads, but some do not.

The ones that sit in the wad are less likely to cause leading because the pellets are held inside the wad through the duration of being shot in the bore.

Though the ones in a wad cause another issue with the plastic fouling.

It could be some leading. Depends a lot of the composition of the shell you used. Not much else should be leaving metal shavings.

A lot of buckshot uses wads, but some do not.

The ones that sit in the wad are less likely to cause leading because the pellets are held inside the wad through the duration of being shot in the bore.

Though the ones in a wad cause another issue with the plastic fouling.

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping it is just leading. The shells I am using are clear and I can see the 9 pellets sitting at the top of the shell, they are not in a plastic wad.

It's probably leading.

Do you have a magnet that you can check them with?

It's probably leading.

Do you have a magnet that you can check them with?
Great Idea! I just checked the metal shavings on my cleaning mat with a strong magnet and they do not stick. I assume this means it is not the lining of my barrel?

If it didn't attract to the magnet, it's not steel.

My opinion, it's likely leading in the barrel from the buckshot. Possibly some of it due to the lack of the wad and the heat/pressure ionizing some of the lead as the powder burns and pushes it down the bore.

22LR has a terrible habit of ionizing and sticking to the baffles of silencers from that process.

Definitely not sticking to the magnet, the only other thing it could be is lead. I think I will stop using these cheap Sellier & Bellot 00 Buckshot and get some Federal with the flight control wad, should be much easier to clean after shooting. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

The S&B is alright. Just have to clean it every now and then. Something you really should do with any gun and any kind of ammo occasionally. That goes with the territory.

Unless you're @nitesite and haven't cleaned a gun since 1987, but is probably off topic. LOL

Oh yeah, flitecontrol shells rock.

You're welcome.

The S&B is alright. Just have to clean it every now and then. Something you really should do with any gun and any kind of ammo occasionally. That goes with the territory.

Unless you're @nitesite and haven't cleaned a gun since Sept 1987, but is probably off topic. LOL

Oh yeah, flitecontrol shells rock.

You're welcome.
I think I will try the flight control. If I stick with the S&B I will definitely have to get some good lead remover! Thanks again!

Just have to clean it every now and then. Something you really should do with any gun and any kind of ammo occasionally.

Unless you're @nitesite and haven't cleaned a gun since 1987, but is probably off topic. LOL

Alright there funny man. Knock that stuff off or else.

yellowCard.jpg

LOL. Nope.

The truth will stand when the world is on fire.

Off topic but funny nontheless while at the range I pulled out my edc G19. I had not shot this one in a few months. The first several shots blew a bunch of lint and dust out of the action from just sitting in the holster for several weeks. It actually made me laugh out loud.

My takeaway, proven by my experience here, is that guns are self cleaning. The more frequently I shoot, the less frequently I have to clean them.

Back