• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun vise

JMM-MD

Copper BB
Am looking for a gun vise that give me the ability to secure a shotgun barrel so that it is held firmly while I clean it. I have 24" rifled barrels that I want to make sure I get all the sabot residue out of. Up to now I have just held it while I run the brush(s) and patches through it but that is getting old.

Any recommendations out there? Oh and no I do not want to use my metal/pipe vise I like an unscratched barrel.

Thanks!
JMM

No, I don't use a vise at all. I just lay them on my counter top bench and hold them down with my free hand. I don't like scratches on my stuff either, but I've never felt inclined to be real rough trying to clean them either.

If I have a lot of plastic fouling though, I use a copper brush on a cleaning rod chucked up in my cordless drill and let the tool do all the work. All I have to do is hold the barrel still.

Never used a vise of any kind to hold barrels for cleaning.

When I tapped my barrel for choke tubes I just wrapped it in an old flannel pillow case and secured it in a bench vise. I suppose that would work for what you want.

If you're handy, you can make some inserts out of pine for the vice, or to clamp onto a bench top..

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

And you could go one step further and line the cut outs with felt or rubber.

That's what I was thinking Ripjack. Make something out of wood. You could make it self clamping also so you don't need a vise. After all it does not need to hold the barrel overly securely like a barrel vise.....just enough to hold it while cleaning.

It wood be a great project. :D:p

That's what I was thinking Ripjack. Make something out of wood. You could make it self clamping also so you don't need a vise. After all it does not need to hold the barrel overly securely like a barrel vise.....just enough to hold it while cleaning.

It wood be a great project. :D:p

Yep...

Back