• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A few 590A1 Questions

josixpack

Copper BB
I am new to the shotgun world and little torn between the 590A1 18.5” model #50774 and the 9 shot XS Ghost Ring + 4 Stock model #51771. The gun will be my HD, range fun gun and possible IDPA and 3 -Gun Matches at a local gun club.

I know I am asking a lot but I will not be able to handle the guns before my purchase other than inspecting it before taking ownership from my FFL so I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage as far as sighting in your target between the XS Railed Ghost Ring and the Winged Ghost Ring sites? I understand the winged rear sight adds the extra protection and durability. If I went with the 20” 51771 and didn’t like the XS railed rear ghost site would the winged rear ghost site work with the front sight that comes on the gun if I swapped the rear sights out?

The appealing factor of the 18.5” 50774 is the shorter barrel and less weight when loaded with shells and the Tri-Rail, Synthetic, Shotgun Forearm so I can easily add a light. However, I cut a piece of PVC down to 39” and wielded that around my house. Then I added 1.5” to that and wielded that around my house to act as the length of the two guns. From a maneuverability stand point the shorter barrel seems would only be helpful if I needed too quickly spin around in a hallway or stairwell so that may not be a factor for me however, weight may be a different story.

The picture on the Mossberg website of the 18.5” 50774 shows a shorter tube with an end cap on it where the pictures from the online gun shops shows the tube flush with the barrel and no end cap. What would I be getting if I ordered one? I kind of like the end cap on the shorter tube, could the endcap be added to the longer tube?

The appealing factor of the 20” 51771 is the extra capacity and the + 4 stock. Maybe the XS Ghost Ring Sights and the Tri-Rail, Synthetic, Shotgun Forearm so I can easily add a light. Is there a big difference in barrel weight with the extra length and two shells? What if you only loaded 6 shells?

Does the + 4 stock work well? Are the shells easy to get out or will they fall out on when the move?

The Mossberg website states the 50774 has the “Accu-Choke System Cylinder Bore Installed” where the 571771 states “Cylinder Bore”. What is the difference there? Advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I don't own a 590, but I have played around with a few.

I'll try to hit all your questions, but may accidentally miss some.

ghost ring sights are better (to me) for slower, aimed, and more deliberate fire. I'm sure there are a lot of older guys out there who used peep sights in the military just fine, and with great success. But, that's my personal opinion about them. As are the rest of my opinions. I like a simple bead sight on my shotguns.

Shorter barrel is easier to maneuver.

And in all fairness, from a ballistics standpoint, you gain very little from a longer barrel. Shells now use modern smokeless powder, longer barrels do very little to add velocity or range since the powder burns out rather quickly in the barrel. Despite the length. So, having a longer barrel is going to gain hardly nothing.

My personal preference is shorter barrels due to the reasons above. A longer barrel really offers nothing to me.

The 51771 does offer more features, which you noted.

Between the two barrels, the one with the accu-choke is another big advantage. While it may not mean much to have interchangeable chokes, if you ever wanted to hunt with it with birdshot (rabbit hunting, squirrel hunting, or bird hunting) having the ability to use different chokes to allow the barrel more versatility, is really a big step up over a fixed cylinder barrel. Cylinder barrels are fine for slugs and buckshot. But they leave a lot to be desired from a hunting point of view.

I know that I went back and forth on my answers because there aren't any right or wrong answers here. But I tried to give you the high points of either for you to choose which would work better for you.

If it were me making the decision and I could get either one, the 50774 would give me more versatility in the long haul. Mostly due to the interchangeable chokes.

Unless you could get a Persuader model and use an interchangeable choke barrel for a lot less. Mossberg has so many different model numbers, I don't keep up with them. I'm not even certain if they offer a persuader with interchangeable chokes, but I don't really doubt that one could be made regardless.

I'm by no means as experienced as some of the other fellas on the forums but I have read tons of feedback from others prior to getting my own shotgun. My suggestion is to go for the 50670 model. It is not the A1 so it has a lighter barrel. It still has ghost ring sights and the tri-rail forend and accu-choke system. It is a 20" barrel model so it will have the larger capacity. As far as maneuverability goes it is true that shorter is best, but there is not much of a difference between 18.5" to a 20". Now if you were able to go with a 14" barrel legally, compared to a 18.5" or 20" I would say we all know the answer is that the 14" would be the best option with a side saddle shell carrier system in regards to maneuverability in a home. As far as the speed feed 4-shell holder stock. I have heard some mixed reviews from ppl on it. It has its plus and minuses. For some the added weight in the rear helps tame some recoil and balance the weapon. The added ammo is great to have on hand if needed. For others it is an annoyance because for them the shells sometimes fall out under recoil. It may never drop shells for some and for others it may. It is a hit or miss with that. Having a 9-shot with the 20" plus a side saddle is more than enough capacity. If I had to do it over I think the 50670 is the one I would go with and just change out the stock to a hogue short LOP overmold stock, throw on a heat shield cuz I think it looks snazzy, a promag safety switch, a light and call it a done. It is only $65 difference between the 51771 and 50670. You can't go wrong with any of the options that have been mentioned. At the end of the day just choose the one you like best that fits your budget. I personally got the 50778 model cuz it fit my budget great and it was very bare bones. I wanted something I could try a ton of parts on so I could set it up the way I wanted it. The lesson I learned was you don't need a ton of accessories on it to get it the way you want it.

Thanks for the input, I did stumble upon the 590 #50670 and I'm consider it. It is lacking three of the things I like about the 590A1, double walled packetized finished barrel, metal safety and trigger guard. However, it has the other things I like and found them for $398.00, $7.99 shipping and $30.00 transfer fee $435.99 in my hands.

I do not plan to abuse the gun but I see you can get the metal trigger guard and safety so I could add those and not having the extra weight of the barrel may be beneficial as far as front-end weight. The more I think about I can live without the + 4 stock as there are plenty of options to carry more shells.

Do you or anyone know are the front and rear sights the same as the 590A1? They look the same but you really cannot see what the front sight is. I believe the 590A1 Winged Ghost Ring sights have an all-lighting conditions front sight?

Thanks again!!

Just my opinion,

I have both the 590A1 9 shot Blackwater model with the XS GRS system and a 18.5" 500 with the standard bead sight. I actually have 2 of the 500's.

The XS GRS sight needed work out of the box. See my post on it if you are interested. If you need to hit a 2" dot at 25 yards with a rifled slug then you'll need such a sight system. You may get this with a red dot sight as well. The red dot option is not for me.

My home defender is the 500 model with a bead sight, promag metal safety switch a +5 stock mounted shell holder/pouch and a flashlight. Simple and light. Buckshot and target loads.

The promag safety is on all 3 of my Mossberg pump shot guns.

The point about having choke tubes is a good one if the shot guns is going to serve multiple purposes.

A metal trigger guard is if you are planning to use the shot gun in extremely aggressive environments.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage as far as sighting in your target between the XS Railed Ghost Ring and the Winged Ghost Ring sites? I understand the winged rear sight adds the extra protection and durability. If I went with the 20” 51771 and didn’t like the XS railed rear ghost site would the winged rear ghost site work with the front sight that comes on the gun if I swapped the rear sights out?

I assume you're noting the difference between the Ghost Ring Sights and the XS Ghost Rings? I have a 590a1 with the XS Ghost Ring's; they work very well for quick target acquisition (there is no side obstruction of your field of view). I haven't really dropped my 590a1 on purpose, but I have abused it some while hunting in the woods and nothing about shotgun (to include the sights) seemed flimsy to the point of wanting to break or fall off. The regular Ghost Rings do offer added protection for serious drops, but they also limit your field of view somewhat. My opinion: unless you're going to be a moron and drop your shotgun onto its sights repeatedly, I wouldn't worry over the durability of either sight system.

The appealing factor of the 18.5” 50774 is the shorter barrel and less weight when loaded with shells and the Tri-Rail, Synthetic, Shotgun Forearm so I can easily add a light. However, I cut a piece of PVC down to 39” and wielded that around my house. Then I added 1.5” to that and wielded that around my house to act as the length of the two guns. From a maneuverability stand point the shorter barrel seems would only be helpful if I needed too quickly spin around in a hallway or stairwell so that may not be a factor for me however, weight may be a different story.

The 20" barrel is right on the verge of being too cumbersome for tight quarters or home defense work; you can make it work if you train and become familiar with its size. If you want the maximum maneuverability, get the 18" barrel. Also the 20" 590a1, when fully loaded, is a bit of a beast to carry around present for repeated drills. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you will need some strength and endurance.

The picture on the Mossberg website of the 18.5” 50774 shows a shorter tube with an end cap on it where the pictures from the online gun shops shows the tube flush with the barrel and no end cap. What would I be getting if I ordered one? I kind of like the end cap on the shorter tube, could the endcap be added to the longer tube?

Not sure. I never noticed that issue.

The appealing factor of the 20” 51771 is the extra capacity and the + 4 stock. Maybe the XS Ghost Ring Sights and the Tri-Rail, Synthetic, Shotgun Forearm so I can easily add a light. Is there a big difference in barrel weight with the extra length and two shells? What if you only loaded 6 shells?

I have the 20" 590a1, with 8+1 shell capacity plus a 6 shell side saddle, for a total of 15 shells. Weight-wise, I think that's about as much as I want on a general-purpose shotgun. Round-wise, I think 15 is enough to deal with just about any immediate threat in a home-defense situation; if you think otherwise, maybe look at getting another type of firearm with greater capacity. For any type of shotgun, excepting the new magazine fed ones, quick reloads will be a crucial skill set to acquire and maintain. Most shotguns are simply limited on round capacity; that's one of their 'pitfalls.' For shooting competitions, I'd imagine having the extra 2 shells in the magazine tube would be preferred over the 6+1 capacity of the 18" barrel.

Does the + 4 stock work well? Are the shells easy to get out or will they fall out on when the move?

The +4 synthetic speed-feed stock can work somewhat well, if you practice using it in reload drills. With that said, the LOP on that stock is way too long for anyone lacking gorilla arms and the recoil pad doesn't provide much 'padding.' Also, the added weight of the 4 shells, as little as it is, does seem to throw off the balance of the shotgun somewhat. I would ditch/avoid the synthetic speed-feed stock in favor of a Magpul SGA stock, namely to customize the LOP (which is key in mitigating recoil).

The Mossberg website states the 50774 has the “Accu-Choke System Cylinder Bore Installed” where the 571771 states “Cylinder Bore”. What is the difference there? Advantages or disadvantages?

I wasn't aware that 590a1's had the option of removable chokes. My 590a1 comes with the cylinder bore. I've shot moving targets at 25 yards. I've shot at stationary targets out to 50 yards. They cylinder bore works for most situations, certainly for the target and self-defense situations that a 590a1 was designed for. I wouldn't bother with a removable choke system.

Final note: be careful on how much weight you put on your 590a1. With the metal trigger group and thicker barrel, this shotgun is already fairly heavy and cumbersome to carry. If you utilize the push/pull method for shooting 12 gauge, you'll find the weight requires some getting used to. I've got a heatshield, magpul stock, tac-star side saddle; loaded with 15 rounds, this shotgun is heavy enough. I may add a light in the near future, but only if I can keep the weight down. I can't stress this enough; be careful with how much weight you put on this thing! You start doing quick presentations and repeated shots, your arms will quickly realize how much heft this thing has.

Last edited:
aa3.JPG Hi,
I've shotguns my whole life since 8 yrs. old so the weight I never really noticed?

Admittedly I'm a big guy so may be different for other people!

I did not like the OEM furniture so went with a Magpul/Hogue setup.

The Magpul forearm had to many sharp edges on it for me!

Sold the old furniture so made a little money back

I also changed out the safety tab to a Pro Mag model, it has a raised surface that cures any slipping!

I also did a "fluff and buff" on all contact surfaces inside the shotgun and with about 50 hand cycles it is smooth and good to go!

Love this shotgun and has some features you can't get on others!!!

View attachment 17962 Hi,
I've shotguns my whole life since 8 yrs. old so the weight I never really noticed?

Admittedly I'm a big guy so may be different for other people!

I suppose. I think some people pick up a weapon, shoulder it, try it out and make a premature judgement on the weapon's weight and ergonomics.

Carry it around for a few miles and put it through real-world use...you may find that your perception of the weapon's weight and handling has changed.

But I also suppose that most owners will never be inclined to carry their shotgun or rifle for long distances.

Back