• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Blackaces Tactical Folding Brace Assemply

Has anyone tried the Blackaces Folding Brace Assembly? It looks like a pretty innovative device to help stabilize a Shockwave. Since it is not a folding butt stock, it appears that it is still legal on a Shockwave. The strap goes around your forearm instead of the butt going against your shoulder.

http://www.blackacestactical.com/_p/prd3/4665931042/product/shockwave-folding-brace-assembly

I'm picking up my Shockwave tomorrow morning in 20 gauge and this will be the first modification I make. Your thoughts?

I wonder what the OAL is when folded? It appears to be able to be fired when folded. If under 26" it's a problem. Nice add-on though.

Yeah, one of the main things that allowed the shockwave to exist in the first place is the fact that it is 26" + overall length. ATF has been real specific about that.

ATF may be measuring with the folder opened (they did the same with the uzi and others), but would be interesting to read the ATF tech branch determination letter stating as much.

Chuck, thank you for your service. It is appreciated.

I wonder what the ATF would say about a cut down stock like Walter Brennan's double barrel in Rio Bravo?

600px-Riob-sawshotgun2.jpg

I'm sure the directors had ATF approve it before they began shooting those scenes

Why no picture? How is anyone supposed to understand what is being discussed? ;)

My thoughts are that for $175 it becomes very easy to over-accessorize these things...

Brace.jpg

Yes, over-accessorizing is a concern. With the rail system I want to install a StreamLight 800 lumen light, red laser, and red dot sight. I'm not interested in additional shell holders. I just checked today; the 20 gauge Shockwave will accept the same accessories as the 12 gauge, except for the shell holders.

I was concerned about the with of the receiver width - the 20 gauge is about 1/16" narrower than the 12 gauge. That will work just fine. My buddies and I always kid about all the additional rails - we were thinking it might come in handy to mount a compact microwave oven and a refrigerator on some of the rails for use at the range. They might throw the balance off a little though. ;-)

So I just got one of these, very well made and it seems like a great addition. However, I mocked it up (I wouldn't want to install something illegal), and it appears the length of pull is around 14". My question is, does this make the "arm brace" and stock?
Also, when folded, it appears it can fire, but likely just once as cycling the slide will be kind of hard.

ATF Tech Branch has been really specific about LOP being more than 13.5" would be up into buttstock territory.

Reference:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

At this point, I would be asking blackacestactical to see their approval letter. And if they don't have one, I think I would refrain.

Overall length while folded has me concerned. If its less then 26 while folded and still can be fired, I would need to see their approval letter.

Ok, my 20 gauge Shockwave is all tricked out and range ready. I have a Black Aces quad rail, Black Aces folding arm brace, a green laser, red dot sight, and a StreamLight 800 lum light. I didn't use that pointy spike -I'm sure that will only damage something in my truck or poke through my skin someplace. So my question is, how do I post pictures here? Is there a web site to upload photos too and then link them here? I'm not totally sure this arm brace is legal - I still get conflicting information on it, but I do have copies of the ATF letters.

My additional questions are do they have WiFi in Federal Prison and how is the coffee there? Seriously, has anyone ever heard of an ATF agent questioning someone at the shooting range on their Shockwave configuration?

So when you extend the brace and then unscrew the brace tube, the measured length from the muzzle to the rear end of the brace adapter is exactly 26" long. One of my photos above shows the brace adapter minus the brace. When I go to the range I plan to take copies of the ATF letters with me and my tape measure. I think Mossberg is now getting ready to sell Shcokwave with factory braces, so I think we'll be ok.

Just a few points. Once I tricked out my Shockwave as shown, it's almost as heavy as my Mossberg 500 ATI and almost as long. The other thing is that when the brace is folded in as shown in my photos above, it interferes a little with slide operation. Also, I removed the safety strap from the slide. There's no way my hand can slide off and get over the end of the muzzle when firing with the laser hanging out front.

One last thing - after I tricked out my Shockwave it didn't fit in any of my rifle soft bags/carriers. I also doubt that it will fit in any sheaths I've seen on the web. I'll have to find a big hard case to carry it from the truck to the range or wrap it in blankets or something. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
That's good info.

LOP isn't 13.5" or more from the trigger to the back of the brace?

Seriously, has anyone ever heard of an ATF agent questioning someone at the shooting range on their Shockwave configuration?

I haven't. It seems more likely that someone will get busted for an unrelated crime, and the ATF would tack on extra NFA-related charges. Like the idiot who advertised his SBR online, and admitted it was illegal. His first crime was being stupid. Also, I have the opposite problem at my range. A local LEO works there part time (it's a gun shop too), and he let me try out his Sig with the fun switch. Anyone else have the police handing them machine guns? Not a bad deal. I even got free ammo.

Back