• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home home on the range

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
Hey y'all how's it going? I went out and shot a little today with ole # 88. I mostly went out to let my wife get some practice the basics at close range, but I got a few rounds in.
I hit a hand sized target 2 out of 3 times at 100 yds. Yeah, I'm counting that one on the right that barely hit the paper. Not too bad I suppose for an 18.5" smooth bore using regular ole 2-3/4 Remington slugs w just a bead sight.
I also ran a few rounds of 00 buck.
Pretty fun day.
I was trying to upload pics of the 100 yard shot but it said the file is to large... Stinks.
Here's a little buckshot action though.
PS: The barrel never got hot enough to justify a heat shield. :p

Last edited:
Ok, here she is.
Top right hand corner is me as well as the bigger hole down and left of the bullseye. I'm not sure where the other shot went.. IMG_1990.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    744.4 KB · Views: 5
I can't say enough good stuff about this gun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Me either. I was originally looking at the 18.5" remmington express. They're twice as much as the Maverick, but honestly I wasn't all that impressed with them. They're ok but they're not worth spending twice as much for I don't think. The fore grip was just as wobbly as the mavericks and the action wasn't all that smooth. Originally I skipped past the Maverick because I was thinking for $200 it was too good to true. However, I'm glad I went the route I did. I haven't had any issues with it and I've mostly shot buckshot and slugs. The action wasn't real smoot when I got it, but after messing with the elevator and the other action pieces it's prob the smoothest and easiest pump I've ever pumped. I did have to buy a Limbsaver recoil pad for it though. I'm not real recoil sensitive, but that thing was killing me, even with 2-3/4 #4 shot. But now with the Limbsaver it's great. I've shot slugs shirtless and it wasn't bad. It's by far the best "mod" that I've done. I got the one that replaces the stock one, not the slip on kind. It kinda looks like a pair of Nike Shox.
The other mods are sling swivels and a new trigger spring. I think the trigger pull is around 4 lbs now for 8 or so.
But yeah, it's a pretty nice tool for the money. I think it'll hold up pretty well too.

Me either. I was originally looking at the 18.5" remmington express. They're twice as much as the Maverick, but honestly I wasn't all that impressed with them. They're ok but they're not worth spending twice as much for I don't think. The fore grip was just as wobbly as the mavericks and the action wasn't all that smooth. Originally I skipped past the Maverick because I was thinking for $200 it was too good to true. However, I'm glad I went the route I did. I haven't had any issues with it and I've mostly shot buckshot and slugs. The action wasn't real smoot when I got it, but after messing with the elevator and the other action pieces it's prob the smoothest and easiest pump I've ever pumped. I did have to buy a Limbsaver recoil pad for it though. I'm not real recoil sensitive, but that thing was killing me, even with 2-3/4 #4 shot. But now with the Limbsaver it's great. I've shot slugs shirtless and it wasn't bad. It's by far the best "mod" that I've done. I got the one that replaces the stock one, not the slip on kind. It kinda looks like a pair of Nike Shox.
The other mods are sling swivels and a new trigger spring. I think the trigger pull is around 4 lbs now for 8 or so.
But yeah, it's a pretty nice tool for the money. I think it'll hold up pretty well too.
Yep the.limb saver is great. Check your length of pull. It will make a huge difference in recoil absorbtion. Basically more often then not our stocks are too long. Once I relized that and corrected it it made a huge difference. Also placing weapon in shoulder. Pocket with squared off stance instead of bladed stance goes a long way.
I just put the mcarbo trigger spring set and metal follower wow what a huge difference.

I initially changed my mav. 88 stock out for wood but recently went with the.mag pul stock.

All in all this gun is a well kept secret.

Here us generic article on length of pull.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/length-pull-matter/

Yep the.limb saver is great. Check your length of pull. It will make a huge difference in recoil absorbtion. Basically more often then not our stocks are too long. Once I relized that and corrected it it made a huge difference. Also placing weapon in shoulder. Pocket with squared off stance instead of bladed stance goes a long way.
I just put the mcarbo trigger spring set and metal follower wow what a huge difference.

I initially changed my mav. 88 stock out for wood but recently went with the.mag pul stock.

All in all this gun is a well kept secret.

Here us generic article on length of pull.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/length-pull-matter/

Thanks man. I have the mcarbo springs as well. How do you like the mag follower? I don't mind the look & feel of the factory stock but yeah it is a little long for me, I'm 5'8" on a good day. It doesn't hurt me to shoot it anymore but the trigger feels a little far away.

Thanks man. I have the mcarbo springs as well. How do you like the mag follower? I don't mind the look & feel of the factory stock but yeah it is a little long for me, I'm 5'8" on a good day. It doesn't hurt me to shoot it anymore but the trigger feels a little far away.
The mag follower the mav 88 to another level. Seriously I was shocked at what a difference it made in loading and cycling. Definitely something to get.

Strip the gun to reciever and heat over stove to loosen loc tite on mag tube switch out and put it back together.

Smooth as butter.

Just got email. 20% off president sale.

The mag follower the mav 88 to another level. Seriously I was shocked at what a difference it made in loading and cycling. Definitely something to get.

Strip the gun to reciever and heat over stove to loosen loc tite on mag tube switch out and put it back together.

Smooth as butter.

Just got email. 20% off president sale.

I have one on order. :D

You won't be disappointed

Last night I had my reciever and mag tube in the oven at 195* for about 10 min to heat it up to apply Frog Lube. While it was warm I tried to unscrew the mag tube and it wouldn't budge. How hot do you have to get that sucker?

The problem is you don't want to heat up the mag tube just the receiver to expand it with the heat and melt the Loctite.

Try using a hair dryer or heat gun on only the receiver where the tube threads in.

Back