• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Silver Reserve Trigger Job

JoeRotella

.270 WIN
Hello,
Has anyone ever had a trigger job done on a Mossberg Silver Reserve over under? Also, what is a resonable price to pay? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry Joe...can't help ya on that...but this will bump the question to the top for others to view... ;)

Trigger jobs are usually done on guns that you shoot precision with...Handguns and Rifles.
A shotguns most likely use is for flying or running targets. Not precise shooting.
Most shotgun shooters use more of a "slap" on the trigger, so any trigger creep or a heavy trigger pull is not felt.
If you would rather treat your shotgun like a precision rifle and feel you need a trigger job, its your gun...have fun with it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Most pistols are not used for precision shooting, the point of most trigger jobs is to get rid of grit or adjust over travel, weather slapping or slowly breaking a shot and would be a plus busting clays.

Pistols not used for precision shooting.....don't tell that to the many pistol shooters at both of my clubs!!!

Hey if you want to do a trigger job on a shotgun, do it. Your gun and your money.
None of my shotguns need that.

I took a crack at this. Didn't go well. The trigger mechanism is strange, when you pull the trigger it pushes the hammer further back before the sear releases. My smith couldn't shave the sear down otherwise it wouldn't push the hammer back. We tried cutting the stock springs to lighten the pressure but that didn't really work either. I'm currently looking for a trigger shoe that will fit, but might have to do a custom job there too.

How about "release triggers" ? I know of some shooters who have done that to shotguns for trap/skeet.

I've heard of release triggers on bench guns. But not on a field gun.

I just did a trigger job on my silver reserve ... Was the worst trigger, I ever owned.... Now the gun shoots like a dream... easy pull... The gun has a mechanical trigger and Turkey don't spend any time cleaning it up... Cost me $175.00... That is not cost effective if you getting rid of the gun... but... I like the feel and looks of the firearm.

Captrap, who did you get to do your trigger work? I called all over the place, the only people who would take it was Mossberg. I sent it to them in Texas and am awaiting the results.

I got my silver reserve back from mossberg yesterday. The paperwork claims they replaced the stock, forearm assembly, and hammer spring. They shipped it back in a hard case which was nice. I noticed the forearm assembly latch depresses a lever under the chambers to engage the trigger. Could be my last forearm assembly wasn't putting enough pressure on that lever. Shooting the over first, trigger breaks at just under 5 lbs. The under then breaks at a hair over 4 1/2 lbs. Still has some grit which I think can be cleaned up, but the weight and consistency is night and day. Only cost for me was shipping to them.
Taking her to lehigh valley for a round of sporting clays today we'll see how it goes.

Back