• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Troubleshooting

@Frank Davila.

Is your gun silver or blued?

Mine is silver and it did this randomly until I polished off some of the coating in a few areas, including the top of the lockbolt and the bottom of the bolt itself. I dressed off the lockbolt slightly, as well as the bottom of the slot it slides in.

Also, mine had some rust inside the tube from storage.

If it locks up try pressing down on the top of the bolt lock with your thumb.

As soon as the bolt lock drops a fraction of an inch the whole thing should come open easily.

The bolt lock has to drop before the Bolt will move at all.

I want to drop with this bit of advice here for all 464 owners:

Buy a spare extractor. They are only $7.

If you ever get a hot round, and the brass sticks in the chamber a little bit, you can rip the tip off the extractor.

To change it you have to pull two screws on the receiver, and the two pins which they retain, then remove the lever assy, then hold the hammer down and remove the bolt.

Extractor just snaps on and off the bolt.... real easy, Because the bolt has a flat spot, there's a way that it goes on the easiest and if you find that you will put it on without bending the clip open too far. You don't want to open up that clip too far when you snap this thing on, or it will distort and then drag on the receiver.

You can see the wear marks on the old clip where it was distorted from being removed repeatedly for cleanings and to polish the bolt.

20170330_090905.jpg

There are microscopic burrs on the leading and trailing edge of that circular clip. I passed a small stone over the edges to relieve those lightly, before installing the new clip.

I have a 464 30-30...every so often a round gets stuck on its way into the chamber...anyone else have this issue
Yes....mine kicks the round up a little high. Did you find a fix? I took mine apart polished everything it still does it. Did you find a fix?

Yes....mine kicks the round up a little high. Did you find a fix? I took mine apart polished everything it still does it. Did you find a fix?

I have not had that problem. Does it happen with all brands of ammo? I only shoot my own loads and feeding properly is the one thing I aim for when I seat the bullet. It is not always exactly what the book says it should be. Different nose shapes and bullet material makes a difference.

Howdy fellas, I'm having a bit of a problem with my 464. The finish on it is bad, and I'm trying to pull it apart so I can strip it and electroplate it with a new finish (to take up the pitting, which a reblue wouldn't do). I've been trying to get it apart, but I cannot figure out how to get the carrier/elevator/lifter/carriage pin out. I know the parts are replaceable because I've seen them available online (at least for the actual Win 94), but they're in there good. Same goes for the hammer pin.

Anybody fully disassemble theirs before?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

@SideFumbling see if this video is of help to you.

If not: Google "video mossberg 464 disassemble" for more help

Welcome to the Mossberg Owner Forum from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

That's the part I've already got done (plus some other parts, guide rails, ejector, and loading gate). He's not doing a full disassembly, and I need to get the trigger, hammer, and carrier/lifter/eleveator out of the gun, too.

SideFumbling,
re #112. The trigger pin in mine is "splined" at one end. It could not be removed by hammering. Hope you have better luck. Maybe fore warned is fore armed?

SideFumbling,
re #112. The trigger pin in mine is "splined" at one end. It could not be removed by hammering. Hope you have better luck. Maybe fore warned is fore armed?

That makes sense, since I was really reefing on her with the punch, and nothing happened. Is there any way to actually get these other pins out of the gun, or are they pretty much fixed?

You'll probably have to make a little press frame and press them out. It won't be hard to do but you will need some little Steel plates, and nuts and bolts.

I have a small forged Steel
screw press used for small tie rod ends on foreign cars, and something like that could be useful as well.

The key is to set it up no larger than necessary and make it as rigid as absolutely possible. Fine thread bolts are preferred. Exact alignment is critical. If you need to Dimple one of the pins slightly with a drill bit to keep your press setup centered, that is no sin, & if you slip & scar the receiver you will be very dissatisfied.

Just make one hundred percent sure you are pressing the pins in the correct direction.

Chewed up Brass
Not sure if this is a problem or not, but after feeding some cartridges through my gun, I noticed the base is all dinged up. Should I worry or no? This gun is not brand new, though it hasn't had many rounds through it, if the previous owner is to be believed. Attaching a picture of one of the cartridges. Note that all I did was put this in the magazine, fed from there into the chamber and then ejected it without firing - my wife gets grumpy about shooting guns inside the house. ;)

Addenda:
1. I sent Mossberg customer service this question a minute ago, along with the picture. I'll let y'all know what they say.
2. They got right back to me... and asked for the serial number, lol. Sent them that to move forward.

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looks like the extractor claw has a lot of tension on it.

It won't hurt your brass or from a reloading standpoint.

If it were me though, I'd take the extractor and the spring out and make sure it's clean in the pocket that it resides in and it's moving freely.

But other than that, it certainly isn't lacking spring tension.

Thanks John, I'll give that a whirl. The Mossy tech guy (girl? they never include a name, lol) asked in an email this morning if it only happens with one brand of cartridge. The one in my pic was a federal, FWIW.
BK (Dave)

My guess about the trouble feeding is simply a weak spring in the tube. If yours likes short cartridges Cadd, it is probably because the spring is just not strong enough to push the long ones out that .020". Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket spring that is a little beefier?

Ancient history message, but someone else new here (like me) might be reading through them all. I was on a gunsmith's website. His specialty is slicking up lever actions for Cowboy Action Shooting. Unfortunately I didn't save a link. Anyways, something that leapt out at me after seeing his site while reading the above was that he lowers the tension on the mag spring. Think of it like this; a rock climber going up a chimney wedges him or herself in there tight. Contrary to popular belief, the bullets don't line up exactly in the tube with point to primer. They're up and down, this way and that, as allowed by the case and bullet shape. Put enough pressure, and they may well be jamming like the rock climber in the chimney! LOOSEN the pressure, and they slide on through. He said on his site that he lightens the spring until it is just enough to push them through.

Back