• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ted Williams 12 gauge

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Have a brand new, never fired Ted Williams model 200 (Winchester 1200) 12 gauge vent rib shotgun which I bought in 1972.

Was wondering if anyone knows of an active discussion group for Ted Williams firearms? Not much luck with web search.

Secondly, any ideas regarding current value? Again, this gun is brand new, unfired with a 28 inch vented rib barrel and very nice checkered & engraved wood. Barrel code indicates the date of manufacture was May 1972.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards

I don't of a specific forum for those shotguns, but it sounds like a really nice one.

I had a chance a while back to buy a 1200, but passed on it.

It was nowhere near new and unfired though. I passed because it looked like crap.

Is your trigger pack one of the older ones that allowed slam fire? I remember reading that some of the older ones did.

John, sorry but I can't answer your question regarding "slam" fire. I'm on the far side of 70 and have been shooting pump shotguns, mostly Mossbergs, for over 60 years. "Old school." However, must confess I'm not familiar with slam fire. If you can educate me maybe I can answer your question.

Note - the gun is 100% original so the trigger group is circa 1972.

Regards

No problem.

Several older shotguns were made so they would do it. Most notably, the old Ithaca Mod 37.

But when the gun is fired, if you hold the trigger down and keep it that way, when you chamber the new round and the bolt closes, will continue to fire as long as you pump it and hold it down.

That's slam firing.

Here's one short video, but it has an exposed hammer. That doesn't matter, it depends mostly on the internals even with a hidden hammer.

Thanks John for the education.

My goal in life is to learn something new every day!

You made my day.

Regards

if your Ted Williams shotgun was made by Winchester as the model 1200 that is probably where you would find the most relevant information, either on this site or others. The differences may be as small as the roll marks but perhaps the wood, sights or some other detail. Do you know what retailers may have sold them? If memory serves me I believe Sears used to sell some "named" rifles and shotguns but that was back in the seventies. Good luck.

Sears used to sell the "JC Higgins" line.

Montgomery Wards - Western Field

Western Auto - Revelation

I'm sure there are others but those are the main ones that I'm familiar with.

You are correct that Sears & Roebuck sold many types of guns under both their name and the Ted Williams brand. I've attached a link to various models and it details who was the original manufacture. Think you recognize almost every major manufacture made firearms for them. Sears & Roebuck sold a ton of guns in their day along with Western Auto and Montgomery Wards.

https://gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

Appreciate all the discussion and insights into past history.

Regards

Yeah, it wasn't very uncommon for a manufacturer to have a marking variance (making under house brands).

That's the first time that I have seen that list though. Thanks for sharing that.

The Ted Williams model 300 was an auto loading shotgun also made by Winchester.

Back