• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590A1 question

11BRAVO20

Copper BB
I bought a brand new Mossberg 590A1 from my local gun store and have a couple of questions. I have the 51771 model number (XS ghost rings, Tri-rail for end, 20" barrel, speed feed stock and 8+1 capacity). Receiver is marked 590A1 but the barrel is marked (590)? Does this model have the "heavy walled barrel"? On Mossberg's website in the 590A1 Tactical shotgun section it states that the 51771 has a heavy or thick walled barrel, however the stated weight of the shotgun (7Lbs) is the same weight as the 500 series with same length barrel......I am beginning to think I did not get the "heavy walled barrel" on my model.
pic1.jpg
IMG_20180223_230236699.jpg

Last edited:
I don't believe they ever offered a standard 590 with the XS ghost ring sights, but I'm pretty new to the game. Wait for one of the more established members to come in here to either confirm or correct me. perhaps a better lit picture of the muzzle as well will help.

11Bravo20,

I have basically the same model. It's the Blackwater Series 590A1.

MFR#: 51772

UPC: 015813517720

Features:

3" Chambered in 12 Gauge
Heavy-Walled Barrels, Metal Trigger Guard and Safety Buttons Built to Mil-Spec Demands
20" Barrel, 9-Shot Capacities
Tri-Rail Forend and Tactical Light Forend Models
Free Gun Lock/10-Year Limited Warranty Included

Specifications:

Gauge 12
Chamber Size 3"
Capacity 9
Barrel 20"
Sights XS Ghost Ring - AR Style
Chokes Cylinder Bore
Overall Length 41"
Length Of Pull 13.875"
Barrel Finish Parkerized
Stock Synthetic (Black - SpeedFeed)
Weight 7.25 lb

I measured my barrel thickness at the muzzle and it's 0.110" or so.

Just FYI. I don't like the Tri-Rail Foreend and I'm going to purchase a Hogue Foreend for it. In order to get my XS sight system functioning I had to replace the front sight with a lower sight bar. I have a thread on this specifically if you're interested.

11Bravo20,

I have basically the same model. It's the Blackwater Series 590A1.

MFR#: 51772

UPC: 015813517720

Features:

3" Chambered in 12 Gauge
Heavy-Walled Barrels, Metal Trigger Guard and Safety Buttons Built to Mil-Spec Demands
20" Barrel, 9-Shot Capacities
Tri-Rail Forend and Tactical Light Forend Models
Free Gun Lock/10-Year Limited Warranty Included

Specifications:

Gauge 12
Chamber Size 3"
Capacity 9
Barrel 20"
Sights XS Ghost Ring - AR Style
Chokes Cylinder Bore
Overall Length 41"
Length Of Pull 13.875"
Barrel Finish Parkerized
Stock Synthetic (Black - SpeedFeed)
Weight 7.25 lb

I measured my barrel thickness at the muzzle and it's 0.110" or so.

Just FYI. I don't like the Tri-Rail Foreend and I'm going to purchase a Hogue Foreend for it. In order to get my XS sight system functioning I had to replace the front sight with a lower sight bar. I have a thread on this specifically if you're interested.
jmm14534: Is your barrel marked "---Model 590---?
What is throwing me off is that my receiver is marked 590A1 but barrel says model 590........Your model is 71/4lbs mine is 7

Here is an old thread to read through. One post from Lazy Eyed Sniper listed the outside of the barrel (at the end) as 29/32 inch. Amother quote from LES..."All stock 590a1 barrels are marked '590', not 590a1 and the only identifier on the 'a1' models is the '590A1' roll mark on the receiver". You probably have the heavy wall barrel but this should help make sure. Keep us posted and welcome aboard!

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/identifying-a-heavy-wall-bbl.6477/

Is your tri-rail handguard an Ergo brand like this? https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-trirail-forend-mossberg-5-1316-length-500590/

If it is, this is what I did to mine. I didn't know if I'd like it or not when I first thought of trying it. But turns out, I love it this way.

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000
Sir John A.

My tri-rail foreend is not like the one you show. Below is a pic of mine. It came with the gun. I don't really need all the rails since my primary purpose for the shotgun does not call for lots of stuff hanging from it. Also the rails hurt my bare hands when shooting slugs and buckshot. And finally it is relatively heavy. I would like to shed as much weight as possible from this brute!!

Also I love your camo job!!!

IMG_0152.JPG

OP, the barrel on my 590a1 is also marked "590." However the receiver itself should be marked "590a1." Another tell tale of the 590a1 is the metal trigger group; only the 590a1's come with metal trigger guards (unless it was modified from stock configuration).

The barrel you show in the pic also looks to be noticeably thicker than the barrel on a regular 590/500.

As a last resort, you can always email Mossberg's customer service with your serial # to confirm you in fact have a 590a1.

OP, the barrel on my 590a1 is also marked "590." However the receiver itself should be marked "590a1." Another tell tale of the 590a1 is the metal trigger group; only the 590a1's come with metal trigger guards (unless it was modified from stock configuration).

The barrel you show in the pic also looks to be noticeably thicker than the barrel on a regular 590/500.

As a last resort, you can always email Mossberg's customer service with your serial # to confirm you in fact have a 590a1.
Yes, My receiver is clearly marked 590A1, I was just concerned about the barrel considering it was a deciding factor in my purchase.
I still sent an email to Mossberg to get absolute clarification.

This is a shot of my barrel. I don't have a caliper available so could only use a tape which is difficult to get a good measurement. That being said, mine comes in at less than 1/8th.IMG_20180306_130221022.jpg

Here's a pic of both. 590 looks about 1/16",,,,590a1 about1/8"

View attachment 18004
I don't know what year your 590A1 is but it looks like they machine the barrels at the muzzle more (rounded profile) than when yours was manufactured (flatter profile). This still leaves me a little unsure as to what barrel I actually have.

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_130221022.jpg
    IMG_20180306_130221022.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 10
Just an update: I received confirmation from Mossberg today in regards to the barrel. I am posting the email response here in case anyone else has a similar question in the future.
Email:
Hi Kevin,
Thank you very much for those pictures. It was perfect you sent a picture of the muzzle! This is indeed a heavy walled 590a1 barrel, I can confirm just by looking at the pictures sent. In checking with production there was a line that was just stamped 590. You can send in the barrel if you wish for a replacement with the proper stamp but it would be the same barrel either way.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

XHzhKPy8S9FVa_9m0wxtwVC6TFNxWt9xpuUykabKJSZac2fynVY25V-pGqFXa2F6iWH7JD7C3vF7M4iaRQLPgmUQ1My4R1BC0UIq1XoHOEw4-qPRBTB7s0CvmsQSr7otQFtvjN9tRBhQy5eI8sqagpivoRIxwDNM6xegthoqZVe9VEO6U8LMdSG32HVZJkOC869zkpBOmWlS2fuc3dhIt6dHN1cBFoK4hdJjvA0=s0-d-e1-ft

Mossberg has really notched up their customer service lately. Glad to see it too.

11BRAVO20,

Just put the Hogue fore end on my 590A1. What a difference - very nice. It's lighter than the factory tri-rail. It has a great grip surface. You don't have to worry about how you hold it a where your hand is when you pull the trigger. All that for $22 on Ebay!!

Back