• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noticing a lot of pistol caliber carbines being sold

Lots of folks like a good backpack gun. No disagreement there.That's the main reason why I like the short carbines. You can put them in a pack, trunk, between the seat, etc.Though I normally use a sling when hiking these days.
With the way that most packs have been using molle webbing all over them, allows a scabbard or sling to be mounted directly on your pack too. This is often more handy than a sling itself if you're carrying your gear in or out anyway. Especially if you need it in a hurry.

Copy that...I already have a Voodoo Tactical Scabbard that has Molle webbing for my PG Mossy 500...so yea...that would be a good way to have it at the ready when hiking / camping.

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between buying the KT Sub2000 or the Beretta CX4 for quite awhile now.

I’m sad to say it’s unlikely I’ll own more than one pistol caliber carbine so I need to choose carefully. Quality is going to be pretty high on the list. If the CZ Scorpion was on the table it would be a slam-dunk. Unfortunately, it’s not...it’s a “restricted” firearm up here. Which means like my pistol, can only go to the gun range and back.

I want/need something that can travel with me and go camping & hunting with me. So even that starts to narrow my choices more. The KT would be a great backpack/camp gun...no doubt there. But I’d also like to try it as a close range varmint killer. And, I’m not really sure the KT will cut it.

I’d also like to put an optic on for varmint duty as well. Though I know it’s possible on the KT but it’s more straightforward on the Beretta.

From everything I’ve read over the last few years, it seems the Beretta is the superior firearm...save some who hate the trigger. Otherwise, it reviews extremely well.

So I’m fairly settled on the CX4 now. But I’m open to suggestions. Keep in mind our selection is limited here by our ass-backwards laws.

Have you looked at the Ruger pistol cal carbine yet? Not sure if you can own it, but since it just came out, I doubt it has landed on anyones restricted list yet. It reminds me a lot of the old marlin camp carbines.

Which may be another one to look into if you can.

The ruger uses both ruger and glock mags by exchanging the magwell insert.

I’ll have to look that one up John. Being a “new” firearm it can take the CFP (Canadian Firearms Program) lab ridiculous amounts of time to determine the “appropriate” classification before importers can distribute to their dealers.

If the CFP determines either by insufficient barrel length or the dubious it’s “easily convertible to full automatic” verdict it will end up restricted at best or even prohibited. We always hope and pray for a non-restricted designation.

Beretta actually makes a Canadian version of the CX4 with a 19” barrel...which is a bit of downer for overall length but it’s better than the alternative. :(

Have you looked at the Ruger pistol cal carbine yet? Not sure if you can own it, but since it just came out, I doubt it has landed on anyones restricted list yet. It reminds me a lot of the old marlin camp carbines.

Which may be another one to look into if you can.

The ruger uses both ruger and glock mags by exchanging the magwell insert.

So, as the Ruger PC 9 sits now at 16.5in barrel it will net a spot on the restricted firearm list in Canada.

However, I did see a Reddit thread with what appeared to be a reliable source saying that if the model sells well enough in the states they will look at a non-restricted 18.5” barrel for us. So, it will likely be a year or more before we see any here....if it sells.

Yeah, me too.

I don't get to appreciate the distance that most all rifle calibers are capable of. Where I live and hunt, pistol calibers are more than enough to put meat on the table.

Maybe a slight hijack, but here is one of my favorite pistol cal's. It's a 38/357 single shot. With one particular 357 load that I have worked up, with jacketed bullets, I can get 1800 fps out of them.

Bydv0tE.jpg

Yeah, me too.

I don't get to appreciate the distance that most all rifle calibers are capable of. Where I live and hunt, pistol calibers are more than enough to put meat on the table.

Maybe a slight hijack, but here is one of my favorite pistol cal's. It's a 38/357 single shot. With one particular 357 load that I have worked up, with jacketed bullets, I can get 1800 fps out of them.

Bydv0tE.jpg
That’s a handsome lookin’ firearm John!

Thanks. It's in pretty good shape to be almost 20 years old.

I don't think he even put a whole box of shells through the gun. It started off as a little 410 shotgun until I got the 357, 20 and 12 gauge barrels for it.

You just know that ATI is already working on a pistol grip stock for that thing. :)

I just noticed, that looks like a regular 10/22 trigger assembly. Makes me wonder if the nicer bx trigger components would drop in giving a much lighter and nicer pull.

Things that make me go hmmm.

You just know that ATI is already working on a pistol grip stock for that thing. :)

I just noticed, that looks like a regular 10/22 trigger assembly. Makes me wonder if the nicer bx trigger components would drop in giving a much lighter and nicer pull.

Things that make me go hmmm.

I am wanting a Magpul stock set. As for trigger components. Many of the 10/22 trigger group internal part are interchangeable. The factory trigger feels really, really close to the BX-Trigger right out of the box, I don't see upgrading to BX trigger components being worth the money or time.

I did it. I dropped a few pennies yesterday on the 9mm version of Beretta CX4 Storm. I really wanted to buy from a LGS but no one had it in stock and no one close by was really eager to bring it in for me. So...I went to Cabelas...they had 6. ;)

Will post up pics soon. Have family in town this weekend.

Nice. I made big moves today. And some more tomorrow on a 9mm and 5.56 build.

With kits drying up I guess I'm paying retail on these builds.

Nice. I made big moves today. And some more tomorrow on a 9mm and 5.56 build.

With kits drying up I guess I'm paying retail on these builds.
Well you can feel ok about it Monkey Man...cuz I paid retail...like so much retail it hurts...lol

These aren’t the best pics I’ve ever taken nor the worst. I’ll try to take some better ones when I get a chance to strip it down and give her a thorough cleaning. While I’m at it, I’m also going to switch over the charging handle and ejection port. Might watch a few videos on swapping the safety and mag release as well. The manual says to have a gunsmith do that swap. So will see how easy or difficult it is.

View attachment 18047 View attachment 18048 View attachment 18049

You’ll also notice the barrel length...that’s the result of our gun legislation. Beretta had been selling the shorter version in Canada for quite some time, however it was classified as restricted(gun range use only). Beretta got smart and lengthened the barrel to meet Canadian spec for non-restricted classification and now it can be used wherever shooting is allowed. Can hunt with it or target shoot out in the woods...whatever you like.

Range report!

One thing I have learned about the Beretta's.

You don't have to question if they will work or not.

Still, I want to know how it works and what you think of it ;)

I typically zero my carbines at 25 yards. This takes care of most any distance that you'll be using the 9mm, out to 100 yards or more easily.

Once you really get out there (almost 100 yards) you can aim at the head and hit in the torso all day long. But I suspect you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Back