• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bedding

I am not unhappy at all with the way either of my Patriot's shoot but was wondering about bedding, anybody tried it? That plastic insert looked to me like you couldn't get around it. But been thinking I could lift it out coat it with release agent then put it back? Bedding compound between the insert and the wood. Anyone tried that?

I have a friend who got Ruger American holy crap it's a nice shooter but that stock is a flexy flyer I twisted the forend 90° he just ordered that kit x2 I'll post pics when we do it. And if I F it up he said he will putting it in boyd stock.

I haven't bedded my Patriot yet but I will be. Plan on putting some kind of pillars and bedding the plastic insert right to the Boyd's stock.

I haven't bedded my Patriot yet but I will be. Plan on putting some kind of pillars and bedding the plastic insert right to the Boyd's stock.

I would not recommend bonding the I'm guessing the mag insert to the new stock you will gain no advantage by doing that but you will lose the ability to service the insert if say the spring breaks or the release breaks.
I just talk to a stock guy and he mentioned tapping off the wood/plastic where the insert goes and not putting it in and bedding the action then clean up the opening, or tape the insert as well and load it up with release and bed the action clean everything and you good.

I would not recommend bonding the I'm guessing the mag insert to the new stock you will gain no advantage by doing that but you will lose the ability to service the insert if say the spring breaks or the release breaks.
I just talk to a stock guy and he mentioned tapping off the wood/plastic where the insert goes and not putting it in and bedding the action then clean up the opening, or tape the insert as well and load it up with release and bed the action clean everything and you good.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't looked at it too hard yet, I may try to make a different system for the magazine well. When I get it all figured out I'll post it here.

I have a 700 ADL that I got as a gift. No way would I buy a rifle with a plastic stock without knowing I could simply take it out and slip it into a wood stock. That plastic stock fit like a pair of jeans three size's to small! I finally got the barrel action out by beating the barrel on the back of the couch several times. I then completely re bedded the whole thing so I could simply lift the barrel action out of the stock, unreal they would sell a stock like that. After rebedding that rifle shoot's super, around a 1/2" if I do my part! I did find a take off 700 stock down the road and the rifle still shoots the same! I've heard about the fore ends that twist, if their not bumping the barrel anywhere I doubt they will effect accuracy, free float for sure, action forward. I have heard of an idea I think would work though if someone wanted to try it. Some guy claimed to bed a couple push rods out a car engine in it. Funny thing, I got a friends 22-250 to work up a load for and checked the bedding first. Took off the stock and there was a push rod set in epoxy in the barrel channel The rifle had a laminated stock! I don't thing the push rod did one thing for it! :)

Back