• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Bolt Assembly

pepi

.270 WIN
Is your bolt assembly gritty (in red) when pushing it down? Mine will hang up inside the bolt? Just wondering if this is correct? Not really having any problem except stiff jacking of the action.

P39Rqwl.jpg

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed mine being gritty. I had issues with my 835 (and 590 I think) when they were brand new, like less than 100 rounds through them. They were stiff to cycle and the 835 didn’t always want to unlock to open the action. It was really frustrating, but I haven’t noticed it in quite a while now. The 590 as I recall had no problems after a very short break in cycle.

What kind of lube do you use? I’ve never used anything high end on my shotguns, usually some light oil. Even just 3 in 1 oil. But I am now looking into trying out slip 2000 or the Lucas gun oil.

This next statement may ruffle feathers, and I can’t speak from experience, but I was recently told by a Sig Sauer rep that frog lube is terrible. I have no idea why that is and a lot of people use it. To me, it seemed like there was too much work involved to use it. But I have no idea what would be bad about it.

It is a brand new gun with only 25 rounds through it. I've cleaned it and use Mobil1 0w20 synthetic oil for lube. I just don't understand why the plunger in the bolt assy will stick down and not return up? Sounds like I need to go out and run a bunch of rounds through it.

It is a brand new gun with only 25 rounds through it. I've cleaned it and use Mobil1 0w20 synthetic oil for lube. I just don't understand why the plunger in the bolt assy will stick down and not return up? Sounds like I need to go out and run a bunch of rounds through it.

You could try some serious cleaner to break down any grease or anything that’s in there. And then relube. Then run a bunch of rounds through it.

Strange. Is it hanging up at all while running it?
Nope. When I pull back to eject a shell there appears to be a two stage to the cycle. With the corncob handle around an inch from the receiver it will get harder and then it will pop when the shell elevator extends all the way down. If you jack it hard you don't even notice it. Maybe this is just the way it is? My 500 is so much smoother but it's 35 years old.

Nope. When I pull back to eject a shell there appears to be a two stage to the cycle. With the corncob handle around an inch from the receiver it will get harder and then it will pop when the shell elevator extends all the way down. If you jack it hard you don't even notice it. Maybe this is just the way it is? My 500 is so much smoother but it's 35 years old.

Ok, that sounds very familiar to the way my 835 was for awhile and in fact, sometimes it didn’t even want to eject. It went away after a little bit. I can’t say that our issues are the same, only that what you’re saying sounds just like what mine has done.

Back