• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone else own a Marlin Model 60?

I haven't forgotten ya John...I'm still waiting on that lady who has it....I'll leave a note for my wife to call her again.

Necromancer !!!! Resurrect the venerable glenfield/marlin 60 !!!
I picked a lil gem of one up awhile back. What a great .22. Loves to eat anything especially subs !! Yup subs in the cheap semi like a Timex☺
This was a used 75dollar gun. With my Cascade can the tube just slips past yeehaw, this quickly became a fav shooter. The Cascade back when was 100bucs plus the marlin 75bucs. Thats a ton of fun on the cheap kids20180525_183952-1.jpg 20180705_081350.jpg

I had never heard of cascade.

Is it user serviceable (cleanable)? Sound good?

Made by tactical solutions inc. @John A.
Sound dcb is quite good.
It is not servicable as original
This was an entry level can done as a group buy, back when I had FFL. We got them for 100 bucs. It has performed very well. Theyre new versions are servicable etc... But this lil guy just keeps on working maybe 6 or 7 yrs and LOTS of shooting. Yes ive kept it cleaned up

Ohhow cool is that!! Awesome. I use mine fairly regular now that ammo has been back on the shelves....

Thought of doing another thread for this meh, so satellite man was here yesterday and he spied box of .22 subsonic on my porch table and asked about it. We chatted gun chat abit and his thought was .22 sub basically a pellet gun ? I explained much and gave some real world stories of lethality vs a pellet. He wasnt buying. Sooo i have a real steel burn barrel about 35 yards away, not a rusty thin hunk of junk this is fairly new heavy thing. I offered him to shoot the barrel with the Model 60 and a sub☺ he was convinced it would bounce i knew it would not. So REMEMBER them subs aint toys just cause they quite kids lone center hole on top clean kill .20180705_191224.jpg 20180705_191254.jpg

Great.

Now someone else is going to be buying subs that wasn't buying them before.

Sometimes you need to think things through a little better dj.

Just ribbing you a little. Always good to help a guy out.

My youngest sons m60 still shoots as good as ever. It's always been one that gets passed around a lot.

This is my second Marlin Model 60, the first one (all worn out really) having been sold 28 years ago. I purchased this one brand new about 18 months ago.

Right now it's sporting a Caldwell bipod and a Leupold 1-4x on Tally rings. I filled the hollow plastic stock with two bags of buckshot to make it more steady on the bench.

20180707_215346_resized.jpg

I probably have not fired more than 100 rounds through this gun since it was brand new. I just put the scope and bipod on it tonight, and I'm going to go test shoot it at the range tomorrow.

When I took the butt plate off to fill the hollow stock, I discovered the secret to the legendary Marlin reliability:
20180707_214159_resized_1.jpg
This parcel of plastic foam was folded with a rubber band and placed inside the butt stock to absorb harmful intra Galactic cosmic rays, which cause ordinary Firearms to lose reliability rapidly under field conditions.

20180707_214245_resized.jpg

Last time out I could put 15 shots in a 6 inch circle, rapid fire, from 50 yards, with iron sights and cataracts in my eyes. This time , with my modified eyeballs, I am going to try slow fire shooting at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I tossed the foam in the garbage so there's no going back now!

This is my second Marlin Model 60, the first one (all worn out really) having been sold 28 years ago. I purchased this one brand new about 18 months ago.

Right now it's sporting a Caldwell bipod and a Leupold 1-4x on Tally rings. I filled the hollow plastic stock with two bags of buckshot to make it more steady on the bench.

View attachment 18601

I probably have not fired more than 100 rounds through this gun since it was brand new. I just put the scope and bipod on it tonight, and I'm going to go test shoot it at the range tomorrow.

When I took the butt plate off to fill the hollow stock, I discovered the secret to the legendary Marlin reliability:
View attachment 18602
This parcel of plastic foam was folded with a rubber band and placed inside the butt stock to absorb harmful intra Galactic cosmic rays, which cause ordinary Firearms to lose reliability rapidly under field conditions.

View attachment 18603

Last time out I could put 15 shots in a 6 inch circle, rapid fire, from 50 yards, with iron sights and cataracts in my eyes. This time , with my modified eyeballs, I am going to try slow fire shooting at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I tossed the foam in the garbage so there's no going back now!
CaddmanQ buddy your model 60 is the most bedazzled with fine accoutrements 60 i believe I have ever seen !!! Tallys and a Leupy on a M60 ! Sir I am now convinced id love to hang out with you sometime☺

Thank you DJ. The feeling is mutual.

I would have had the much more impressive Atlas style bi-pod, but no time to mount it yet. I don't have any laser bore sight, so I just clamped down the scope as carefully as possible.

I took her out today and shot almost 200 rounds.

Using 40gn American Eagles, I was on the paper at 10 yards in only 10 shots LOL, tuning the scope. Next I shot 3 in a sub 3/4" group at 50 (!) Then I shot a 2.2" group of 10 at 50 yds. medium fast-fire. About 1.5 shots per second, aiming every shot.

I tuned the scope again and shot a gratifying 1/2" 1-shot bullseye at 50. I did a 5" pattern of 14 at 50 yds as fast as the gun would run. It ran fast too! (Strictly verbotten!) I didn't aim well at that speed.

Then I had to switch to slower Gold Medal Target ammo ;( but immediately shot a lovely 3/4" (!!!) group of 3 at 100 yds; but with that ammo I was about 4" below the bull.

I found a single lost round of hi-vo and shot within 1/2" of bull at 100 with it. This little gun is proving itself as accurate as the much more expensive Ruger 10-22.

The wind was gusting up, and I was all over the map after that. Also the slower (target) ammo jammed up a lot and blowing dust did not help my action.

Eventually everyone else went home, and I took the cue.

Today that little Marlin proved to me that it is fully broken in and an accurate rifle.

I shot this sub-half inch group at 50 yards with Remington Thunderbolts.

20180710_134944_resized.jpg

You can see more in today's Random Range Report.

found a single lost round of hi-vo and shot within 1/2" of bull at 100 with it. This little gun is proving itself as accurate as the much more expensive Ruger 10-22. @CaddmannQ

Super busy week but Gimme a day or 2 and we will do a side by side just for fun and see what happens. ☺

My 60 is serviceable but been a beater mainly used suppressed last few years and has for lack of worse term a JUNK fixed 4x scope, so its at a disadvantage vs my Ruger. But we shall see. I just took 5 shots at 100yds thru can with subs your shooting much better but lets see what happens with supers at 50yards ? Vs 10/22.
Heres 100yd target with rem subsonics. I just shot this on a whim cause target was there not sure ive ever shot this combo that distance. Basically shooting a reddish blur with the junk 4x glass/plastic/seranwrap whatever it is. Whats that maybe 3moa ?? It would hit a coon in trash at 100 i suppose. Your target looks much better. For now 20180711_122233_HDR.jpg

It's easy to shoot that with my Varmint Rifle but it's a challenge with the model 60, DJ. It took everything I had to make that pretty pattern man.

My stock old 10/22 will do all day with the right ammo. It loves the federal bulk Target 40gn lead nose. Not many will shoot as well as it does CONSISTENTLY. I doubt my m60 will but I will try. Here is last target of my 10/22 at shoot club her name is heartbreaker weve been a couple for 37 yrs now20180511_120923_Burst01-1.jpg . 9 targets lower right was sight in, the rest were full magazine 10 round groups, basically fired back to back 50yards. I think the most finicky part of .22 shooting is finding a consistent loading. The bulk box black/white federal target-match is my current fav. Here ya go, yep 100% this is a self promoting brag and il hush getting us of topic.

DJ, we have a Ruger 10/22 that I bought for my wife and I'm pretty sure she has almost shot it enough to get it broken in.
20160524_081738.jpg
So if you want to start a Ruger thread we can make this a double header.

:sniper::chaingun:

(And thank you @ripjack13 for the terrific smileys.)

Back