• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 88 security Safety issue

Kirsch

Copper BB
I bought this gun used. Got a really good deal on it. It looked like it had never been fired and I thought I checked it out pretty good. But when I got home, I thought I would take it outside, put some shells in it and see if there were any problems with running some shells through it.

I went to put the safety on before I started messing with it and putting the safety on was very stiff, then I tried to push the safety off and I couldn't do it. I had to turn the gun and use my thumb and even that was hard. I got the oil and soaked it and started pushing the safety on and off. Did that till my fingers got sore. I actually got a c-clamp and put it on the buttons and used it to work it back and forth. Did that at least 2 to 3 hundred times and didn't help even a little. There is no way to push the safety "off" with your finger. You have to take your hand off and use your thumb.

I'm thinking I will need to get a whole new trigger assembly and change it out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I really hate to order a new trigger unit and have the same problem.

Any thoughts?

If you call Mossberg and let them know what's happening, they may repair it under warranty since it is a safety issue.

If you call Mossberg and let them know what's happening, they may repair it under warranty since it is a safety issue.

If I have to send the whole gun in, I'm guessing I will need to have a dealer ship it. I'm wondering if it would end up being cheaper to just buy the trigger unit and install it myself. Will the dealer charge me a fee above what the shipping is?

You will not need a dealer to ship it, nor would you need one to receive it back.

Mossberg is a licensed manufacturer and is legally allowed to receive guns in the mail.

You, being the legal owner of the weapon and it already your property, are allowed to receive it in the mail when they return it. There is no transfer of ownership when you are forced to return a product for warranty work.

The manufacturer is only allowed to mail it to the mailing address that you mail it from though.

Mossberg wouldn't be able to sell you a gun and mail it to you, but they can repair your gun and return it to you.

If I have to send the whole gun in, I'm guessing I will need to have a dealer ship it. I'm wondering if it would end up being cheaper to just buy the trigger unit and install it myself. Will the dealer charge me a fee above what the shipping is?
You do not need a dealer for anything direct to from Mossberg

You will not need a dealer to ship it, nor would you need one to receive it back.

Mossberg is a licensed manufacturer and is legally allowed to receive guns in the mail.

I learned something today. I had no idea I could pack it and ship/receive it. Thank you.

Any suggestions on the type of box, packing, etc.? Would it be a good idea to put the gun in single simple gun case before boxing, or will they want it boxed with nothing but the gun. I don't think they want to bother about keeping track of a case.

To "old mossy": Have not removed the trigger from the gun. Didn't know if that would mess up them taking care of it. All I did was put a rag under it and drowned it in oil while working it a whole lot of times.

I would ship it in a plain cardboard box, with the barrel seperated from the receiver. For that matter, I doubt I would even mail the barrel along with it since they're only going to working on your receiver. You can wrap the receiver with bubble wrap. Pack with wrapping paper. Enclose an envelope with your return auth. number that Mossberg will issue to you prior to you mailing it. Along with your return info and a brief description of the problem you're having.

Call Mossberg and speak with them and get that RA number and they'll answer any questions you have.

I personally wouldn't send a case or any add on parts that are non-Mossberg. I don't think they wants to keep track of whose case is whose and which gun that bandolier or sling belongs to. They want to get to the gun, break it down, fix it and send it back as quickly as possible.

I would ship it in a plain cardboard box, with the barrel seperated from the receiver. For that matter, I doubt I would even mail the barrel along with it since they're only going to working on your receiver.

That would certainly shorten the box I would need. I might even be able to ship it flat rate shipping. I think you can ship up to 60 or 70 pounds at one rate. Thanks

I would certainly ship it signature required and with insurance to cover a replacement just in case.

Please let us know how the repairs turn out.

Update:

I bought the gun from a large dealer but he is about one hour away from me. When I noticed the safety, I called him and I got the impression that he really didn't believe me like I was trying to pull something to return the gun. That's when I got on here and told the story because I thought it was now my problem.

So today I filled out a service report on the Mossberg site, got my number, planning to mail it in. I saw where it was going to take 6 to 8 weeks so I thought I would waste a couple of hours and drive to the dealer as a last chance.

I walked in, took out the gun showed it was empty, put the safety on and handed it to the guy. I told him to grab it like he was going to use it and reach up with his index finger and take the safety off. He couldn't do it, and believe me he really tried to prove me wrong. He said, "damn, that's hard".

So he got another Mossberg Maverick he had. It had a longer barrel being a hunting gun. He tried the safety and it was like it was supposed to be. So he took the guns in back and switched the trigger units. I left with my gun fixed but I wonder what he's going to do with the other one. I'm betting he's just going to put the trigger in that gun and put it back out for sale.

I'm really glad your gun is working properly now.

But, yeah, he should not have done that.

Just a little friendly advice, don't buy anything else from that dealer.

Back