• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Building a 500 on a Virgin Receiver

CapnMike

Copper BB
For reasons of geography (Massachusetts), I’m building a shockwave, and probably eventually a short barrel shotgun, from a brand new, never assembled, never had a stock or barrel on it Virgin Model 500 Receiver.
I plan on buying the 514 barrel and Magazine kit and a raptor grip brand new.

My question is mostly about the internal components.
I’m considering used components to save a few bucks.
Any components I should bite the bullet and buy brand new?
Will I run into problems getting components out of an older shotgun and using them in a brand new receiver?
Any problems with mixing new and used parts?
I have built Several ARs, but info on building a 500 seems scarce.
Anything else I need to know about assembling a 500 from scratch, such as things to loctite or anything else?

There is an 80% FB group I belong to. I don't know if I've seen an 80% 500 or maybe someone cut it from a billet. Maybe do a search there. Are you doing an AOW? If I were going to build a 500 "from scratch" I'd gut an existing 500 for parts, bolt, trigger, barrel (cut down), etc. The SW is technically a 590, BTW. There are others here that will probably chime in with a more detailed answer.

Welcome Aboard! :)

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.
It took some searching and some some luck, but I already found and transferred a virgin 500 receiver.
I wish someone made an 80% but there is probably no demand for them.
Is there a difference between a 500 and a 590 receiver, except maybe the finish?
Are all the parts interchangeable?

You could probably source a lot of the used (but good condition) parts on ebay if I were guessing. I know I've seen a lot of trigger packs, magazines tubes and such.

Numrich gun parts would be another source for used parts.

I'm just curious where you're going to find virgin or 80% receiver at. I don't recall ever seeing one.

You could probably source a lot of the used (but good condition) parts on ebay if I were guessing. I know I've seen a lot of trigger packs, magazines tubes and such.

Numrich gun parts would be another source for used parts.

I'm just curious where you're going to find virgin or 80% receiver at. I don't recall ever seeing one.

I bought it from these guys

https://www.ss-arms.com/product-p/500-receiver.htm

Not sure if they have anymore.

That is really cool.

Closest thing I had ever seen to a stripped receiver, was an actual stripped receiver that had been taken apart from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police many years ago and sold into the surplus market, but they weren't virgin receivers obviously.

As your signature says
I needed a receiver that never had a barrel mounted to get around ignorant State law, and a receiver that never had a stock mounted to get around ignorant Federal law.

If I were you, I'd make a physical copy of the ad or keep the invoice (if they mailed one). Perhaps even a copy of the 4473.

Just something that will have definitive proof of what you're saying if you're worried about it. Always CYA. I have two really big binders full of receipts and things.

If I were you, I'd make a physical copy of the ad or keep the invoice (if they mailed one). Perhaps even a copy of the 4473.

Just something that will have definitive proof of what you're saying if you're worried about it. Always CYA. I have two really big binders full of receipts and things.

Thank you
That’s good advice

I've just been around long enough to know that if there is a possibility that I will have to prove something, I'll usually be able to. If you're concerned whether your state will give you a hard time about the gun or the build, it's just better to be able to shove that receipt up their nose.

Having lived through one ban, I learned to keep receipts for anything that shows "proof"

Not many folks SBS'ing these days. So, I'm going to be the first to tell you, that's awesome.

And for demilled parts, that's a good sight too. I'm going to bookmark them. They have a little for everyone.

If that 500B had a barrel, I'd be on it like white on rice.

I've just been around long enough to know that if there is a possibility that I will have to prove something, I'll usually be able to. If you're concerned whether your state will give you a hard time about the gun or the build, it's just better to be able to shove that receipt up their nose.

Having lived through one ban, I learned to keep receipts for anything that shows "proof"

Not to mention that we are already guilty until proven innocent. This day and age either the feds or local government are looking for a reason to confiscate.

That is very true meanstreak.

I think trump was dead wrong with his comments about confiscating first and due process later. That's entirely the wrong answer and I'm not too bashful to say it.

And several states have adopted such policies, based on nothing more than scornful ex girlfriends.

Or crazy leftists with an agenda to demonize all gun owners.

The government has even been down that road with a "see something, say something" brown shirt reward policy.

I don't like it a bit.

We have laws and DUE process.

But we all know that the presumption of innocence was nothing more than a feelgood sentiment. For far too long the judicial system and those DA's and Prosecuting attorneys and places have weaponized the media when it comes to high profile cases to make "proving" innocence an all but guaranteed impossibility. Right or wrong, I would have a far easier time proving that, than disproving it.

Back