• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (September 2018) (Do You Reload)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls.

Question: Do you reload your own ammo? Why or why not?

No... space is the reason. That and I'm enjoying the cheaper ammo prices until a sworn communist comes back into power.

Have components I've been compiling for when I move... I'll then set up a reloading bench for rifle and pistol... and probably shotgun.

I used to. I still have two Lee Pro1000s in boxes but ready to go: one in 9mm and the other in 45ACP. Haven't used them in 20 years. Plenty of cases to reload but need to pick up components and powder. My loads were always on the light side but functioned OK...

Probably get .223 and .308 dies when I DO get back into it. Maybe 30-06 and 8mm hand loaders. I've been shooting a lot of TulAmmo and Wolk steel case stuff so I don't have to dick with looking for cases at the range.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a 12ga and 20ga setup but more for experimentation than anything. Maybe if I started skeeting I would get into loading shells...

Yes

I do it for a few reasons.

The main reason is not to be held hostage by panics.

The other reason is because I can often make it to suit a particular purpose, moreso than what manufacturers do.

For instance, if I want to load a particular weight bullet to achieve more penetration while hunting, I can do that. Or to limit the velocity, or get more velocity from it. I have all the control over ever step of the process.

I also get a lot of enjoyment of loading my own.

Question: Do you reload your own ammo?
No, I do not.

Why or why not?
Because I do not have the discipline to perform to my standards of safety.

My father was a reloader. My guru, John L., was a reloader. My mentor, Bruce, is a reloader. They taught me much and shared everything they thought was necessary to do the job right.

The traits that they [and other reloaders I admire] shared were those of discipline and thoroughness. Each of them had volumes of meticulous records of their various recipes. All dates, weights, measurements, environmental factors, lengths, materials, and performance notes were available for reference. These guys didn't even know each other, but their approach to safe production and ability to reproduce desired loads were admirable. Sometimes I wonder why the kept books at all because they seemed to remember everything!

I was happy to be able to run the machines in their shops. I could turn out ammo. But there is MUCH more to safe reloading besides spending money, pulling handles, and shooting. If you don't have the discipline to maintain a safe environment and process, then don't reload. I don't, so I don't.

Yes, I do reload.

Why? Because if cash and credit cards were suddenly worthless and people could not buy anything at all, at this very minute I could still shoot every gun I own until my life's end without going out and buying a single thing. I'm pretty well stocked, not out of paranoia but because it's a fantastic hobby and I love doing it. A lot of the rifle bullets and bags of shot I bought years and years ago when they were really inexpensive and I have kept them all on the side so I can actually shoot almost daily and not run out.

I can reload anything I have without electricity or batteries, but I am not a "prepper". I just do it as a cool distraction from my daily grind. No different than gardening or owning horses or restoring old cars or bass fishing. It's just something to spend some money towards a certain conclusion. Nothing more.

Shotgun/Rifle/Pistol/Revolver.

I used to reload everything. I shot a LOT of skeet when I was younger and at the time I got into it it was much more cost effective to reload.

I them dabbled in some pistol and a few rifle cartridges. I do not reload as much as I used to but I keep the equipment and keep picking up supplies as funds permit.

I do reload a few rifle cartridges for hunting and pinking.

There is just something satisfying about shooting ammo you make yourself.

Yes I reload .38, .223 and .308

Why?? because here in the Uk factory ammo is dammed expensive..!!
Some people say they enjoy reloading, but i find it a chore and only do it so i can afford to shoot as much as i want.

Once I've developed an accurate load (I only shoot at paper), every so often I'll knuckle down and load up 2-300 rnds at once... that means i don't need to do it again for a couple of months :D

Yes, I do reload,

I don't reload all of my ammo though, some things are easier to buy.

I reload for various reasons
I enjoy it, I can sit at my bench in my own little world, making ammo, the process is very relaxing.

I can dial in a load, that fits a certain firearm perfectly. I know without a doubt what the bullet will do, when it leaves the barrel, wether it be the first shot from a cold barrel in 6 months. Or the 30th shot on a long afternoon.

I can create custom loads, soft shooters for handguns and rifles that won't deter novice, or first time shooters.

I can stockpile components, and keep them stored for the times ammo becomes scarce.

I can create high quality loads, cheaper than can be bought. I can have 1000, +p, self defense, or hunting loads, for pennies on the dollar of purchasing self defense ammo.

Yes I reload .38, .223 and .308

Why?? because here in the Uk factory ammo is dammed expensive..!!
Some people say they enjoy reloading, but i find it a chore and only do it so i can afford to shoot as much as i want.

Once I've developed an accurate load (I only shoot at paper), every so often I'll knuckle down and load up 2-300 rnds at once... that means i don't need to do it again for a couple of months :D

2-300 rounds? That's an hour of shooting for me.... ;)

2-300 rounds? That's an hour of shooting for me.... ;)

Yes, but we're not allowed the stuff that shoots that quickly.. :(

Its also wear and tear on the guns... when you've worn it out, you can probably pick up a new AR barrel from your local gun store for a couple of hundred bucks, or less....
I hate to think how much a new barrel would be for my AUG... thats IF I could get one..

And even reloading isn't that cheap... I normally use 69gn Sierra MK's and they're nearly $50 a box of 100...So your hour of shooting would be costing me around $200 in bullets, primers and powder.

i'm sure you can buy factory cheaper than I reload...

Yes, but we're not allowed the stuff that shoots that quickly.. :(

Its also wear and tear on the guns... when you've worn it out, you can probably pick up a new AR barrel from your local gun store for a couple of hundred bucks, or less....
I hate to think how much a new barrel would be for my AUG... thats IF I could get one..

And even reloading isn't that cheap... I normally use 69gn Sierra MK's and they're nearly $50 a box of 100...So your hour of shooting would be costing me around $200 in bullets, primers and powder.

i'm sure you can buy factory cheaper than I reload...

That sucks man. Yea a new cheapo barrel that shoots MOA runs about $100 or less depending on sales. Match barrels run $200-$800 depending on manufacturer.

1k rounds of 9mm is going for $180 and 1K rounds of .223 is going for around $270 right now... shipped to your door.

Admin message:
COMPUTER_2587516b.jpg

Don't bother me. I writing the October Question of the Month.

Late to the party here....No I don't but wish I did.

Space and financial are the considerations for the moment. I've been saving my spent brass for 9mm, 270 Win and 30-30 Win for some time now. Down the line I hope to slowly acquire supplies and equipment. I know a couple guys that reload so I'm hoping when the time comes they'd be willing to do some tutoring.

I hope one day I'll have a proper area at home or the cabin in which I can work. I find that often work benches in our place become perennial dumping grounds for stuff people don't know what to do with or are too damn lazy to put away.

Last edited:
Yes on a limited basis these days, much cheap factory stuff out there right now. But i can ramp up production anytime as needed or wanted.
Reloading makes sense as a skill and ability a shooter should have wether they employ it or not.
I even have ability on hand to cast bullets in several calibers, lts just a thing with me kinda like the ax i dont currently NEED one i have a chainsaw BUT technology and the corner store WILL let you down at the worst time.
Not to mention reloading is cranial and quite and very peaceful to me an excellent productive past time.

Back