• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which 930?

Just a quick question for you all. I'm finally going to be getting a 930. It will primarily be range toy / home defense back up, the 500 first up. Is the JM Pro internally that much better than the basic 930 security or tactical model they call it.? Basically does it justify the extra $200? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

One of the biggest issues with the 930 is a result of moisture condensing and remaining in the gun after use and deterioration of the magazine tube under the factory piston and spacer tube.

Rusted-Mag-Tube.png

This magazine tube is the inner seal of the gas system for the piston. Rust and pitting will cause this seal to be less effective and it will require hotter and hotter loads to cycle the gun as it deteriorates.

The JM Pro has a Boron Nitride treatment for its magazine tube. It has the same on its piston and rings for the same reason.

Also, the magazine extension on the JM Pro is a Nordic Components, which is a much better extension than the Choate found on the Tactical.

The differences would be about $200 if you went to make the upgrades to the other models yourself.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Wow. Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it I guess that makes decision for me. It was the one I pretty much wanted anyway I just wasn't sure if I was going to pay extra for a name on it even though it look really good.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

based i on my experience with jmpro, i would buy another brand. loose magazine tube from factory, i had cracked stock, cracked shims, replaced barrel, and now I have broken pusher assembly.
rust is also appears on jmpro tube. you need to drill vent holes or buy or3gun part.

I agree with others
Buy the cheaper gun
If you getting the pro might as well look at other brand as the price is getting close to justify getting the 930

I bought the 'Turkey' model with a 24" barrel and added a Nordic 6 plus mag tube and clamp ,Choate Mark 5 PG stock , TruGlow Magnum Gobble Dot adjustable FO sights, and a few other things..It turned out to be my one gun to do it all. If I could only have one long gun I would have this above all the rest. Just a little heavy but worth it!

I bought the 'Turkey' model with a 24" barrel and added a Nordic 6 plus mag tube and clamp ,Choate Mark 5 PG stock , TruGlow Magnum Gobble Dot adjustable FO sights, and a few other things..It turned out to be my one gun to do it all. If I could only have one long gun I would have this above all the rest. Just a little heavy but worth it!
Keep posted as ya put it to the test.

I know there are a lot of varying opinions about versatile guns that perform well. But it's hard to beat a good shotgun. I couldn't imagine life without a good shotgun.

I know there are a lot of varying opinions about versatile guns that perform well. But it's hard to beat a good shotgun. I couldn't imagine life without a good shotgun.
Havr to agree totally, im a gun ho basically have not met many i dont like something about. But having to choose just one(1) yes one total scenario id be hard pressed for it not to be a versatile shotgun

I bought a 930 waterfowl years ago. Its been a great gun. Never really had issues but have slowly upgraded as much as I can to the OR3GUN parts and have no complaints. This gun does not get run hard but it does see some foul conditions being a hunting gun.

I cant say I needed to make any upgrades but it has made a good gun a little better. Plus I like to tinker and help out our sponsors.

In all honesty the biggest complaint I have with my stock 930 is the lifter. The design makes it too easy to pinch your finger. That was the first upgrade I made and just kept tinkering with it. I want with the SKY Tactical lifter but I'm not sure if they are still selling parts.

I took off the Nordic plus 6 for a while to try to make it lighter but its going back on..Its a real comfort to know that I have the extra rounds if they were needed. Fiber optic rifle sights are perfect with slugs..

One of the biggest issues with the 930 is a result of moisture condensing and remaining in the gun after use and deterioration of the magazine tube under the factory piston and spacer tube.

Rusted-Mag-Tube.png

This magazine tube is the inner seal of the gas system for the piston. Rust and pitting will cause this seal to be less effective and it will require hotter and hotter loads to cycle the gun as it deteriorates.

The JM Pro has a Boron Nitride treatment for its magazine tube. It has the same on its piston and rings for the same reason.

Also, the magazine extension on the JM Pro is a Nordic Components, which is a much better extension than the Choate found on the Tactical.

The differences would be about $200 if you went to make the upgrades to the other models yourself.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com
Your company makes a sleeve that fixes this corrosive problem ...........right ?

I can't speak for the 930 because I don't own one, but I can tell you that my MX5 Emporer Arms semi auto Turkish import has a really nice chrome finish around the mag tube. Inside and out. That was one of the things that I noticed right off, and appreciated having. Especially on a work gun that is going to see rain and fog and mud and everything else.

I would be inclined to get the JM Pro. I bought a pair of SPXes, and replaced the mag tubes with stainless 9200 tubes, and did my own polish, clean & refit, with several of the upgrade parts.

If you get a rocky specimen, and don't feel comfortable with detailed gun-wrenching, it might not be your best experience.

Modern Mossbergs are not the most finished pieces out there, so be aware. I think most owners are very happy, but the bad specimens are really rough.

Back