• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Heat Shield

Would like a functional heat shield. I'm not into putting a bunch of crap on a weapon. The only thing I have added to the Shockwave are sling swilels a good military grade sling

^^Not to be a "D-bag" - But heat shields, unless used for their intended purpose, are just for "cool looks" and added weight - they are meant to shield someone from a hot barrel when doing a thrust with a bayonet -

I had one on my M500 for a couple years, and took it off - I wanted to be able to just wipe down the barrel when cleaning -

Also another factor you don't notice is weight, I felt a difference right away when it was removed - and with the heavy wall barrel on the Shockwave, its meant to be a small and compact weapon, adding more weight, no bueno, in my opinion.

But yes, they do look cool...

For many years, I ran a heat shield on my 500 too. Also had a collapsible stock, which I appreciated the pistol grip on it, but it messed with the ergo's of the 500 slide release tab.

This year, I have mostly went back to the roots. Mostly.

qyKhoNR.jpg

^^Not to be a "D-bag" - But heat shields, unless used for their intended purpose, are just for "cool looks" and added weight - they are meant to shield someone from a hot barrel when doing a thrust with a bayonet -

I had one on my M500 for a couple years, and took it off - I wanted to be able to just wipe down the barrel when cleaning -

Also another factor you don't notice is weight, I felt a difference right away when it was removed - and with the heavy wall barrel on the Shockwave, its meant to be a small and compact weapon, adding more weight, no bueno, in my opinion.

But yes, they do look cool...

Excellent points! I like the Shockwave as a self/home defense weapon and want to keep it as simple and handy as possible. I had not considered that just wiping the barrel down with a heat shield installed would be more difficult, especially since I am a fanatic about cleaning my firearms. thanks

^Oh yeah my OCD was killing me - I can't take full credit, I had one on my M500 for a couple years before I saw a video of Hickok45's where he bought a model 590 on trade and had the heat shield installed and he mentioned when he took it off to save some weight, he noticed some fine rust on the barrel where you couldnt wipe it down because of the heat shield installed - granted it cleaned right up and every few years you can remove it to clean and protect it if you'd like, but for me it wasn't worth it -

Especially considering you have to remove the bead, and those 2 screws clamping it down, and slide it off carefully to not scratch the barrel, each time you remove it -

I'm with you, the Shockwave is an excellent home defense weapon once patterned and practiced with, and an excellent truck gun or woods rig - I want one of those new wood "Night Sticks" so bad -

I only have a few guns that doesn't have some form of covering or coating over top of the factory bluing. Or anodizing or Parkerizing or whatever method was used.

I don't worry so much about rust anymore.

Back