• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rainy day Knife time

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Pouring rain, cant do what i wanna do. Sooo maybe some knife maintenance:)
We gonna call it fixed blade day, folders another day. What ya got what your favorite and why ???
I have a few different ones a couple are specialized most multi purpose each ive kept i kinda like. LOVE my old Cold Steel Recon Tanto been together many moons it original had the tuffblack finish after years it had suffer so I media blasted dull i like it even more that way. The Rowans(i dont call em esee cause theybdont make knives) are well known and quite good. Anyhow ive done this with guns before which 1(one) only one if i had to choose would stay?? Easy no hesitation the Mora !!! Yep the 12 dollar Mora over the Terzola it even Beats esee and my prize hand made bushknife loses too sorry !!! Cheapest lightest sharp awrsome fabulous piece of kit Mora !!!!!!! No question there. Anybquestion on my blades ask away. Enjoy20181112_131746-1.jpg 20181112_132325.jpg 20181112_132409.jpg 20181112_132038.jpg

Last edited:
I have far more fixed blades than I do folders.

I always liked them better.

I remember walking around with a bowie survival-ly type knife hanging off of my belt like Davey Crocket most of my child hood.

Morakniv is an incredible knife that costs a fraction of more expensive knives! I only own one and I need to probably grab a backup.

ROWAN knives (ESEE) "can" have an edge that is just incredible. That's the knife I would take over any other.

Great thread starter, buddy!!!

For sure the Esee are excellent tools.
The moras are just the cats meow, price with performance cant be beat im same only have the one need to get a few more.

BDDD9577-D3B1-43ED-B37D-4E7285061366.jpeg
I guess this is my favorite all around fixed..... it has worked in the woods its entire life . I bought it new when I was a lad mid 80s. Built many camps , thrown a thousand times and cut probably 3000 matsutake’s and morels

Would you recommend cold steel products in general? I've got the kukri machete, and it works for what it is, but so does the Ontario. Ontario has a reputation. Do you think the cold steel products are on par with higher end better known blades in the same category?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Would you recommend cold steel products in general? I've got the kukri machete, and it works for what it is, but so does the Ontario. Ontario has a reputation. Do you think the cold steel products are on par with higher end better known blades in the same category?

I think they lack the proper steel, tempering and hardening; but they make up for it in imaginative designs that catch the consumers eye.

Depends on the product in question for sure I believe from usage the had some top shelf performers ie the older Recons and Voyager folders etc... And ive seen some items that would surel qulify for the junk bin, and much in between.. Id say usage and experience dictates alot. They folks who buybfor display or waiting on zombies etc.... Who like cool and cheap VS those who actually have working tools knives axes etc... They depend on daily or often can tell immediately which is which. I currently only have 3 cold steel items in inventory and each has been flogged for many years and performed admirably except 1 its only been around about 2 years i think and im still deciding.... The two are an XL Voyager folder a brute of a knife storngest lock ive ever encounter ed on a folder great steel good knife from 1995, the Recon Shown above been around the world several times again awesome solid and proven last i have a machete i picked up couole years back hasnt been used a whole lot sooo im not givin it thumbs up just yet. I did watch a wranglestar video about the trailhawk how cheap it was etc.. But with his attention became a decent piece ??

15428117987114421542051905408260.jpg many have no clue that very differnt levels of items available from Cold steel most run across the bottom end 5 to 30 dollar stuff probably what pays the bills BUT they make higher end quality Japanese San Mai type stuff 100 to 350 range thats in another class also. Put a 3v master Tanto in your hand you will probably have it for life.

I wouldnt mind having a couple more fixed blades laying around. I dont have a fixed tanto blade yet. I keep either a ka-bar, or Ontario fixed blade in all the vehicles. I'd have no problem getting a couple cold steel 6-8 inch fixed blades, to leave in the barns, or on the four wheeler, or tractor if they were acceptable quality.

Thought id add another maker example about coldsteel quality topic. SOG is another example they made some INCREDIBLE tools they also produce some real junk. I suppose again they pay light bill with the lower end stuff. Here are some examples i have. A. Finest folder EVER made an original Tomcat in cocobolo i bought new in 1988 mybspouse wanted a divorce i paid 175is back then alot of money, today i value at 500 its still here good as ever that wife hmm not sure where shes at ?? Next is sog blink a cool excellent LEO type utility blade it belongs to my wife shes carried on job for 6 years and would never be without it is amazing unfortunatley out of production. We have the venearble sog powerlock multitool also hard used since 90s it was in service with me it has some functions others dont and is surely bomb proof dailybcarry still. Then we have a horrible piece of goat squeeze called fielder ? Its umm im not sure what to say but id sure be ashamed if i made the Sog Seal or trident and this was also in my catalogue but hey gotta pay bills. So yes many levels buyer beware. 15428126050658480312292694101217.jpg 1542812765632337444575777652096.jpg 15428130109547132801264239024615.jpg

I wouldnt mind having a couple more fixed blades laying around. I dont have a fixed tanto blade yet. I keep either a ka-bar, or Ontario fixed blade in all the vehicles. I'd have no problem getting a couple cold steel 6-8 inch fixed blades, to leave in the barns, or on the four wheeler, or tractor if they were acceptable quality.

I follow ya totally, now i cant leave a 150 dollar tanto on the tractor or 4x but a good solid somthing for sure. Bought a box 6 of crappy surplus AK bayonets cheap sharpened a few cause dang they come dull and hard. Anf made them "handi-tools" staged in 4x and each bob etc....

@dieselmudder heres what i picked up for "staged" emergency tools. Back when they were cheap i picked up 6 for maybe 60 bucs i think ??? These are actually better i believe Polish versions which seem to have really gone up in price though. Metal shaeth leather frog wire cutter etc... No clue about steel took work to sharpen but they tough will do serious 20181121_104342.jpg work. And if disappear i wont cry.

To clarify, my earlier comment about Cold Steel was about their current catalog of consumer grade knives. They still build several higher end designs, and their better knives from 20-25 years ago were pretty darn good!

To clarify, my earlier comment about Cold Steel was about their current catalog of consumer grade knives. They still build several higher end designs, and their better knives from 20-25 years ago were pretty darn good!
Roger that, I think they make some good knives decent tools crappy knives and junk tools :) basically something for everyone lol

Back