• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HAM radio, anyone?

Not other than using them at work obviously. There was a repeater in the old office where I worked too. Thing was probably from 1978 I think. Was still working in late 2010 when I got hurt.

I had some interest with this a couple years ago and never kept up with it.

Ham radio operators often help with disasters, natural and man made. Many years ago, 35-40, I had a neighbor that was a very serious ham operator. He could talk to folks halfway around the world. Back then, as I recall the radios and antennae were expensive.

I read some about it last night. Ranges from basic walkie talkie communication, to as mentiond, worldwide transmissions.

Looks like one of those things I won't really be able to dedicate time to, to become proficient.

As neat as it would be to have a moderately powerful base station, and be able to communicate across the US, I think I still have too many irons in the fire.

Considering everyone has cell phones now anyway. I'm not sure how effective it could be, because whatever can take a cellular grid down, could just as readily take out power sources for radios, and repeaters,

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Diesel, if memory serves me correctly, one of the main advantage of ham is the lack of need for repeaters. Again, trying to recall, Ham radios get their range by bouncing signals off the ionosphere. Of course atmospheric conditions have a great affect on range. They do need a powerful transmitter. At least that is how I remember it.

My neighbor had a tall, 50 ft tower much like old tv antennas, and he had a large transformer in case he had to step up power in the event his household power failed. I also remember him being able to talk to people in areas of natural disaster if they had a backup power supply.

I have been to a couple of prepper meetings and folks had some nice handheld radios with ranges of more than 25 miles. I don't remember what band they were using. Might have been the same as ham. As I recall they were pretty pricey.

Another convenience people rely on these days is GPS. Those satellites are controlled by DoD and could be shut down for civilian use easily.

I have not researched any of this, just trying recall things from the dust bin I call my memory.

Considering everyone has cell phones now anyway. I'm not sure how effective it could be, because whatever can take a cellular grid down, could just as readily take out power sources for radios, and repeaters,

The reason I had an interest is because of the possibility of the grid going down. You can run a ham radio off a generator, you cannot do that with a cell phone.

You can also store it in a Faraday cage to prevent loss from an EMP type attack if that is a concern.

But like you I have too many things that take higher priority at the moment.

But if the repeaters aren't generator backup, you range is pretty limited.

To elaborate on my last post. Is why I say I can't really devote the proper time to the hobby. It would be superior to cellular if I were to have a backup power source, and possibly some type of repeater, to make a worthwhile contribution to the radio grid. I figure unless most users are willing to put in the support, then were not really gaining anything over cell service.

A side note. Back in the days of common landline usage the phone network was a 24 volt dc system separate from the power grid. The phone companies either generated the power or stepped down what the power company generated, and had backup batteries and generators.I can remember losing household power due to a transformer shorting out for various reasons, or the power line to the house being knocked down by a falling tree limb, but as long as the phone line itself was not damaged I could still make phone calls.

Last edited:
Ive researched it a lot because our group uses baofengs (portable ham on the verge of being illegal soon)......a lot to it . a couple of us went ahead with the operators license for legal practice but when SHTF ......piece of paper .Anyway I am a master baofeng programmer . There is also somethings being worked on that doesn't require the use of repeaters to go far.........also one can set up baofengs on ridges and such to act as a repeater as to overcome line of sight issues ......can even suspend them under drones for flat ground
We all know ham some , enough to do damage . Dont see the need to follow through with the tests and all and I'm not looking to pick it up as a hobby .
A good way to try to establish initial comms is going to be 3-3-3 .......channel 3 being MURS 3 .....whatever channel that falls on in your radio . https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/3-3-3-radio-plan-for-shtf-communications/

unless your just looking far a casual hobby.......cant help with that too boring lol.

Ive researched it a lot because our group uses baofengs (portable ham on the verge of being illegal soon)......a lot to it . a couple of us went ahead with the operators license for legal practice but when SHTF ......piece of paper .Anyway I am a master baofeng programmer . There is also somethings being worked on that doesn't require the use of repeaters to go far.........also one can set up baofengs on ridges and such to act as a repeater as to overcome line of sight issues ......can even suspend them under drones for flat ground
We all know ham some , enough to do damage . Dont see the need to follow through with the tests and all and I'm not looking to pick it up as a hobby .
A good way to try to establish initial comms is going to be 3-3-3 .......channel 3 being MURS 3 .....whatever channel that falls on in your radio . https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/3-3-3-radio-plan-for-shtf-communications/

unless your just looking far a casual hobby.......cant help with that too boring lol.
Came across an article on another forum discussing the trouble baofeng had gotten into with import restrictions, I believe it was.

Ok im in too. Perhaps more than i like to admit. Ive been using a couple older Icom I4s great radios programmable for alot of freq ranges two way or simply "scanning things being nosey ";). Its shortfall now is need for laptop its been past time to upgrade a couple years. On the other side we use some really cheap but really good baofeng 888s, seriously cheap but tough and work great for what intended (short range) our initial purchase was for comms in and around church buildings uhf is good that. Since i ended up with 8 extra radios !! We have tried them at home and hunting work good about a mile give or take depending we have heavy woods and hilly mountains. Ive been impressed with them and they are everyday use now for anyone venturing out on property as a safety precaution. Il skip tech jibber jabber unless ya got a question happy to answer. The wife has a couple work radios also i suppose may be of use in a pinch. So yeah im outed again....20181127_142900.jpg

Oli, what models do you use, and what's the range? There's a lot of negative reviews of the baofengs online, but if you approve I may look into a few.

Oli, what models do you use, and what's the range? There's a lot of negative reviews of the baofengs online, but if you approve I may look into a few.

Im not OLI but we do have 16 Baofengs, only one problem in 2 years with one radio, the belt clip srcew was stripped i emailed them about and they sent us a complete replacement.. So for the 888s i give 2 thumbs for close range work outdoors and 4 thumbs up for security work inside multiple buildings etc...

Im not OLI but we do have 16 Baofengs, only one problem in 2 years with one radio, the belt clip srcew was stripped i emailed them about and they sent us a complete replacement.. So for the 888s i give 2 thumbs for close range work outdoors and 4 thumbs up for security work inside multiple buildings etc...
So you use them as a 2way? Defianteley good to know, I'm more curious about their capabilities though. I can definitely appreciate good 2way communication, I'm interested in medium distance, 60 ish mile communication capabilities.

Back