• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot Pattern Test

Had a buddy hand me some turkey loads today gave em a try they work great but not safe for anyone around me the 930 ejected the shell 25' away crazy I'll find out what they were
one of the harshest rounds I have ever shot through any firearm was a turkey load. A 3 1/2" mag through a Benellli Super Back Eagle inertia gun, 2 oz #4......more recoil than a 338 win mag pushing heavies

have been reading a little(dangerous for me) and I noticed that the hevi duty shells use seeds between the shot and the crimp. might this have had an effect on the shot pattern you got during testing ? I hadn't noticed that before and then it kinda jumped at me and then I wondered about that. and with all my reading I still have not found a test on it except your great work. kinda makes me question why ?

The rounds are still relatively new, so the lack of empirical testing is not too surprising.

My thought is that their "frangible" alloy is simply not strong enough to make it out of the muzzle without disintegrating...

Excellent Work LES! I've only been here a few days and this one post helped me immensely. I've been considering quite a few of the rounds you tested, and this helps make choosing easier.

I'm brand loyal when it comes to ammo, and have always used Winchester or Federal in my handguns and rifles. I'm pretty much doing the same with my 590. I've picked up a few boxes of the Winchester PDX1 Segmented slugs and Super X 00Buck. Going to be on the lookout for some of the RIO, if it's still made. Would be a good, inexpensive alternative.

Thank you Sir, I sure enjoyed it.

I've put more Rio through my shotguns than anything else. You shouldn't have any trouble fining it. Pick mine up at the local Academy Sports but Cabela's and Sportsman's Guide usually have it in stock online...

I also am new to this forum and have been reading a lot. Running across this thread really answered some questions for me. I have been keeping the #8 Winchester loads in the 590A1 for defense in the home. I did a few pattern tests at 5, 7 and 10 yards and found the patterns to be good in the 18.5" barrel.I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you took to display all this great info. I thank you sir!

No problem @frankb , glad you found the thread useful.

Everybody has their own reason for using what they use, but one thing I'll say about that #8 shot is that it leaves a great deal to be desired when it comes to energy transfered into a target and penetration. We use it at the range for bowling pin shoots and the pellets don't even punch through the thin plastic skin on the pins. We have some LEO here on the site that have witnessed target or bird shot fail to penetrate a denim jacket.

Some low recoil buckshot will take care of business and be less likely to cause unwanted damage or injury beyond an intended target...

I will certainly give the low recoil buckshot a try. I want to use the best I can and not leave anything to chance. Thanks again for the report.

I ran some Federal buckshot through the SW yesterday and the results were fairly consistent....

102_9166.JPG
Those are 10" cirlcles traced out on 22" X 28" poster board (cheap targets). I have some Federal LE that basically just punches a hole at the same distance but I like a little spread in my HD buckshot.

102_9587.JPG

I ran some Federal buckshot through the SW yesterday and the results were fairly consistent....

View attachment 19536
Those are 10" cirlcles traced out on 22" X 28" poster board (cheap targets). I have some Federal LE that basically just punches a hole at the same distance but I like a little spread in my HD buckshot.

View attachment 19537
Both very effective it looks like.
I was sorta measuring based on your picture that #4 at 10 to 12yds ? Im believing if center that pattern right on solar plexus would punch some holes in almost every single vital organ. Ima call that the humpty dumpty round.

Back