• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If ya dont try Ya dont know !!!

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ok, this is 100% credit to @Water Monkey and the reason I LOVE this forum information and motivation.
Have seen some of,speed monkeys work I thought been a good long while since under the clock ????
So I did some range work and today I had daughter available for timer assist. I wanted to work on from my typical winter attire concealed first, then low ready as say house clearance etc... I also used newest pistol the G21sf whose .45 recoil I'm readapting to for folllow up, yes it's different than the 9mm I'm used to currently. Target is 8x11 copy paper at 15feet or 5 yards chest high. So went well did basic 4 shots each run, as in two double taps. IL say I'm abit slower than once but still servicable:) All should be practicing this stuff again, in one session about 80 rounds, I successfully shaved a full second off,the concealed time and about a half,sec off,the ready time. Final 1.66 for low ready and then 3.31 for concealed under jacket and winter wear WITH gloves as outside around the homestead typical daily dress for,me loose layers. Working around the fat dad bod takes a second too. I can and will improve. Tag your it , yes YOU !!! Do some work POG and post it. Screenshot_2018-12-23-15-21-59.png Screenshot_2018-12-23-15-17-24.png 1223181539.jpg 1223181539c.jpg So quantitative practice helps kids, thanks Sir Monkey !!

That's awesome!

Wanna feel slow my instructor has a sub 1 second draw from concealment.

Not human.
Oh have no doubt my good friend, time I got, ammo I got, range I got. Skills rusty a little for that level of quick BUT IL BE BACK faster n stronger. I'm gonna run this with a more familiar piece tomorrow. Yes, I'm manic on a mission. Someones always faster stronger etc... Doesnt mean we each shouldnt hone edge to our max ability. Why I,love seeing your commitment to the various arts.

Oh have no doubt my good friend, time I got, ammo I got, range I got. Skills rusty a little for that level of quick BUT IL BE BACK faster n stronger. I'm gonna run this with a more familiar piece tomorrow. Yes, I'm manic on a mission. Someones always faster stronger etc... Doesnt mean we each shouldnt hone edge to our max ability. Why I,love seeing your commitment to the various arts.

Couple of drills for you tomorrow

Drill 1 - speed draw drill

Set the timer for 5 seconds par. When the timer goes off do your draw slow counting down 5,4,3,2,1,fire. Trying to break the shot off at the buzzer. Whole draw stroke should be fully extended by the end so it forces you to go slow and refine movements.

Then drop it down to 4 seconds doing the same thing. 4,3,2,1,fire

Keep going down till you find the buzzer beating you by more than 0.2 seconds.

Drill 2 - speed shooting drill

Take your shooting stance and put 5 shots on paper on each number (do 5 times)

1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand, 4 one thousand, 5

Now it's

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5

Faster

1-2-3-4-5

Fastest

Find the failure when you fly off the 8.5 x 11. You'll find grip strength is a large factor in managing those fliers.

Last edited:
Couple of drills for you tomorrow

Drill 1 - speed draw drill

Set the timer for 5 seconds par. When the timer goes off do your draw slow counting down 5,4,3,2,1,fire. Trying to break the shot off at the buzzer. Whole draw stroke should be fully extended by the end so it forces you to go slow and refine movements.

Then drop it down to 4 seconds doing the same thing. 4,3,2,1,fire

Keep going down till you find the buzzer beating you by more than 0.2 seconds.

Drill 2 - speed shooting drill

Take your shooting stance and put 5 shots on paper on each number (do 5 times)

1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand, 4 one thousand, 5

Now it's

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5

Faster

1-2-3-4-5

Fastest

Find the failure when you fly off the 8.5 x 11. You'll find grip strength is a large factor in managing those fliers.
I like those, well give a run. Cadence is so important, you can even look above at like my splits, on slow ccw runs like .50, but on the quicker ready runs avg like .30, all tied to the initial cadence set when ya start.

I like those, well give a run. Cadence is so important, you can even look above at like my splits, on slow ccw runs like .50, but on the quicker ready runs avg like .30, all tied to the initial cadence set when ya start.

Those 2 drills will get your speed up. Run your normal fast draw and record time.

Run those drills after.

Then do your draw at the end. I'm betting you'll be faster. It worked for me.

It's a confidence thing for me. Once I trusted my foundation that could shoot fast and maintain accuracy my splits dropped. Cause I put on the gas the minute I drew.

Ever since WM shared his experience of his speed shooting class in "Annoying News" thread I've been wanting to get out on the range to test myself.

One thing I'm interested in is the speed of intervals of .45 G30 vs. 9mm G19 I can establish with target hits.
Another is the difference in draw-and-fire times for G30/good holster vs. G19/too tight holster vs. G19/too loose holster.

I'll let you know here after I get some dry days in the 60s.

@Scoop totally same well similar questions for myself. Testing all possibilities, I predict the 9mm CZish in slick holster wins for me simple muscle memory and fast follows.
Ps. Ya aint far, I shoot at home and at an indoor in Calhoun right by I75, holler we can pew pew pew.

images

Challenge accepted!

I'm probably the worlds slowest draw.

Lately, I'm having to use my left hand to grab the roll of fat and move it out of the way, then I start to draw the gun and decide that I need a snack and a nap. Then late this evening I wake up from the nap and finish drawing the gun.

But you better watch out when I do get it out of the holster because I know how to use it by George.

Slightly different problems here. I start to draw then decide I need to pee. Can't shoot straight dancing around trying to hold it. So I go pee, then forget what I was about to do.

In all seriousness though, Water Monkey, Dj, and Scoop all have the right idea of practice, practice, and more practice. If and when the need arises ones actions need to be automatic.​

Last edited:
In all seriousness though, Water Monkey, Dj, and Scoop all have the right idea of practice, practice, and more practice....​
That is the idea I have. I just wish I had the dedication you give me credit for. I preach that philosophy to my students, but in the last few years I have not spent nearly the time on the range w/ my instructor and my drills that would serve me best.

The only thing I can take credit for is my continuing w/ dry fire practice. I can do that almost anytime. [Note to self: Don't try that when standing in line at the bank again. Even if wearing the m/c helmet.]

article-2659670-1ED2E78C00000578-859_634x458.jpg

NEW YEAR RESOLUTION:
Remove head from rectum and get with the program!

My vow to keep you advised may help with the discipline I need. Standby.

@Djcala so is there an update? Cause I'm all laid up here living vicariously through others. Dreaming of the skeet field.
Brother I am out of town with the family till Tuesday then I,will get bavk to firing line, I promise keep ya posted. You just heal,up. Send momma to store to get ya one of them airsoft pistols and a target for indoor . It will keep ya working hand eye and mind

Back