• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (January 2019) (Low Budget Bolt Guns)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

What is the best new low cost bolt action rifle?

Last edited:
Understand the question is focused on low cost; however, to me it depends if you're trying to buy new or looking for an older, used firearm. Many older firearms are of a much higher quality than newer ones (of the same model) so hard to simply says this brand over the other. To me it also depends on the caliber you're looking for. The used market is currently flooded with certain calibers whereas others are currently harder to find. This to drives cost.

Know this is more of a comment than an answer but hard to go wrong with an older firearm made by any of the top companies. Just beware of its condition (and it's cost).

Old saying - you get what you pay for. Best to understand that low up front, initial cost doesn't always equate to low life cycle cost.

Regards

Understand the question is focused on low cost; however, to me it depends if you're trying to buy new or looking for an older, used firearm. Many older firearms are of a much higher quality than newer ones (of the same model) so hard to simply says this brand over the other. To me it also depends on the caliber you're looking for. The used market is currently flooded with certain calibers whereas others are currently harder to find. This to drives cost.

Know this is more of a comment than an answer but hard to go wrong with an older firearm made by any of the top companies. Just beware of its condition (and it's cost).

Old saying - you get what you pay for. Best to understand that low up front, initial cost doesn't always equate to low life cycle cost.

Regards
You have good points and I will edit the question to steer this toward new guns. You have given me a good question though for a future QOTM...thanks!

Savage arms. My opinion. If you disagree you are wrong. :laugh:
When the Ruger American came out I bought one in .308. It had a machining problem and would not chamber most ammo. Ruger was great and made it right in a fast and professional manner. When it came time to get my son his first rifle I got him a Savage Axis II in .243. It came with their Accu trigger. That Savage, using the cheap scope that came with it, shoots groups half the size of the Ruger.

They are the two I have experience with and the Savage is my pick.

You have good points and I will edit the question to steer this toward new guns. You have given me a good question though for a future QOTM...thanks!

Carbinemike, appreciate the kind words. Glad to help. Know you've modified the question but I'd like to my experience. Have a Remington 700 ALD in 30-06 which was manufactured in 1972 and outfitted with a Redfield 3x-9x scope which in its day was of pretty high quality. In going on almost 50 years of ownership and many hunts I've never replaced a single part and it and the scope function as good today as it did back in 1972. Would I trade it for a new model? No way!

Regards

I've got no clue what the best rifle is, but I will say that when I found out that my new Ruger precision rifle had an accutrigger similar to the Savages that I own, I was extremely pleased.

I won't discuss it further here because I haven't even tried it yet and it certainly was not an inexpensive rifle.

But that trigger is just a treat!

There's several out there for sure, that will shoot minute o deer all day long. I liked the Mossy patriot as ..bargain bolt. BUT the question said Best of the bargains, answer hands down no question is the Savage offerings.

I guess the answer will vary depending on the type of shoting you do but for me the Savave Axis.

Stock does flex and I worry about the longevity of the magazine catch but very accurate. The stock has several replacment options, the magazine has one and its not cheap (and also locks you into specific stock designs.)

My 6.5CM cost me about $150 after rebates. I did not get the Accu Trigger but do not find the stock trigger to be that bad, its actually much crisper than I expected.

Been looking at both the Savage and rem 783. Hear great things about Savage, but like the metal mag on the remmy, but they make me nervous.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I had a couple Savage Axis' in .223 several years ago. First one was "blued" and threaded for suppressor. Got a great deal on it and sold for a mild profit without shooting it. Second was "stainless" and came with a "cheapy" scope. Shot about 100 rds out of it then traded for a Beretta Nano which I soon sold for a profit. Buyer didn't want the extra mag which was about $35ish and I returned it to Midway for a full refund/credit. The AR bug had hit me and if I was going to go with a bolty, the Axis would have needed too much work to be acceptable--ie: new trigger $100, bull barrel $200?, etc.

I HAVE seen a Mossberg Patrol for sale that caught my eye with bull barrel and laminated stock for $400ish. Bonus that it also accepts AR mags. But I don't know if $400 would qualify for "low-cost" status... PS: or maybe it was a Patriot? In .308?

Last edited:
Back