• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camp stoves and lanterns

I picked up a Coleman 425F dual burner stove from my neighbor's yard sale. They purchased it in the mid to late 80's and never used it. My son came running home and said they had the stove, new in the box, for $5.

Don't know If you model is so marked but if you look at the mounting tab on the fuel tank most show the manufacturing date on the bottom side of the tab.

Looks like a great find. I've had an old Coleman for several decades and it never fails to work perfectly. I've found that using Coleman fuel or a third party equivalent you can preclude the problems caused by unleaded. Little more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Regards
I'm hoping this is the date. It says 64, if so this thing is in very good shape.
7eed90ab5a1f247ec7a0b3d0ce6438f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

From the "How To Date Your Coleman Website":Lanterns usually have a date stamp on the bottom or the bottom edge of the fount (tank). For a stove you can often find a date imprinted on the bottom of the case, and/or on the underside of the tabs used to latch the fuel tank onto the case.

http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/date.htm

My son had wanted an old style wick lantern and found one at a flea market for $20. It's a Dietz that dated to the 1950's when they were still US made. It even had the original globe and worked perfectly with a new wick. They are worth $50-$100. He lucked into a great deal there too. It was repainted by someone which I think actually lowered the value.

Guys, here's a link to a useful web site about old stoves and fettling. You youngsters may not know the term fettling.

Hope you find it useful especially for info on older models no longer manufactured. Plus excellent info on making repairs.

https://classiccampstoves.com

Regards
I'm a lifelong fettler, as I'm sure most of us here are. I can remember taking a tricycle apart with my dad's adjustable wrench when I was still in single digits.

I'm a lifelong fettler, as I'm sure most of us here are. I can remember taking a tricycle apart with my dad's adjustable wrench when I was still in single digits.

I certainly can relate growing up on a ranch where we fixed everything. After all these decades I'm still the same, no job to difficult. My wife says I have a "blue collar" PHD. LOL

Regards

More to come once home, but had to shoot a teaser from flea market, 10 bucs each :)
425e and a 413g have not dated yet. Be home couple hours hehehehhe0105191325.jpg

More to come once home, but had to shoot a teaser from flea market, 10 bucs each :)
425e and a 413g have not dated yet. Be home couple hours hehehehheView attachment 19716

Good fine and great price.

My guess on age - 425e somewhere around 1967 to around 1970 and the 413g between 1965 and 1969.

Regards

Oh my word found a 3rd LOL, it was 12 bucs had to grab it. Wife say I'm nutz !!! Haha shes correct. Soo what did we end up with, the 413G (what I wanted) is a 1970 burns perfect all good. The next is a 1967 425E tank pump will,need rebuild but burns fine(used tank from the next stove to,test)
And the last I found on way out is a much newer (I guess 39 yr old,is new) 1980 425F works great actually had mystery fuel in tank, yep sure i tried it. Plan is keep,the 413G and 425F, fix and clean up the 425E and sell it to cover cost of everything(unless son wants it)...im patient. Spent 32 bucs for all 3, inside the 425 is a new in package spare fuel generator also kinda cool sticker says 3.49. 15467213731744967072186137773812.jpg 0105191526.jpg

Quick, update / PSA. Dont write one off to,quick thinking you need parts. I took the pump apart on the '67. Bone dry BUT complete, oiled it up, replaced whalla we cooking boys. Time to clean em all up
0105191613a.jpg 0105191613.jpg 0105191625.jpg

@dieselmudder please do not feed the animals sir !!! Our mania is distructive all on its own. I will not be selling 1 though, I generously gave the 425E to my son today. He accepted, but was not giddy, he has not quite developed the finer taste but its growing il keep pushing.

Very glad he accepted, hopefully soon enough he will understand the value. Better to have and not need, than need and not have. And the quality is in the age.

@carbinemike those,Dietz almost got,me. While at market I saw,several appeared very old, BUT nope , made in China. Hope to,find a good one at some point, I believe there was,some trickery at play. Seemed aging was accelerated perhaps at that booth.

Back