• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"New" 464, first range report

I'm new to lever guns, and got this 464 a couple of weeks ago. It was a used gun, though I don't know how much use it really saw. Owner said he didn't fire it much and it was collecting dust so he decided to sell it. The action seemed a little stiff to me, but I have no point of comparison. I worked it for awhile (200-300 times? Wasn't really counting...) and that seems to have helped quite a bit. I also cleaned and lubricated it lightly. Going by how stiff it was initially vs now, I'm guessing the guy was being straight with me about having not used it much. The bore was clean and bright, but I don't think he did much to clean the rest of it.

Just eyeballing the sights, they looked like they were way off to the left... and I was right. My son and I were shooting little targets we printed out at 25 yards. It was cold and very windy (gusting to 25 or better), but the wind was at least coming straight from behind us. Even resting on the bench though, it was hard to stay steady. We didn't have any sandbags or anything. My son had brought his new air gun, which he's very proud of, and was having better luck hitting his targets than I was. :)

At 25 yards, I was hitting 6-8" left of center and about 3"-4" high. I couldn't get the sights to budge in the dovetail and had the sight adjusted as far right as it would go.

When we got home, I put a piece of leather between the barrel and the sight, then put a punch on the sight body (the spring part) and tapped it with a small hammer a few times. Eyeballing it now, it seems to line up with the barrel pretty well. I'm wondering if the previous owner had taken the sight off, and put it back on when he went to sell it? No way to know.

My old eyes (I'm 53) with my contacts and the factory sights don't get along too well. I'd like to get the iron sights set so that I can hit, say, a barn at 50 yards, but I'm not going to mess with them too much beyond that. I have a scope I bought when I got the gun, but hadn't gotten around to getting the bases yet. Have to order those today. The scope is an Osprey 2-7x32 Scout/Pistol scope. Seems pretty nice for the money, we'll see how it does once I get it in place.

From my own experience and from what I've read the sights on these guns have all been very far off the mark.

I adjusted mine as well, on the first day. But they weren't off that much and I've heard stories that seemed much worse than mine.

it definitely surprised me. I'm looking forward to getting back out to the range to give it another try. I ordered the 403 Weaver mounts yesterday, and a Lee Loader to play with. I'm thinking of trying some low-power loads. There's a shop where I can get powder and stuff easily here local, even though this is a small town.

Nowadays it's the big towns where you have trouble with that stuff.

Everybody here has been stocking up for a long time though.

Yup. My wife was surprised when she realized what I have sitting around. Granted, it looks like more than it is, since two little tackle boxes are nothing more than birdshot, and 12g shells are bulky at best. I try not to take out the boxes of .22 LR and stroke it while saying "My Preeecious..." :D - at least when she's around. ;)

I need to get some more 22 now that is back on store shelves. I had to sell some when we got really tight on money while between jobs.

That's funny.

My wife is looking at me like I'm crazy sitting here in my chair laughing but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Most well loved and used lever guns action are smooth as silk. That comes with use. My Great Grandfathers old Marlin feels like it's on roller bearings. But in fairness, it's 115 years old now.

I think you made a good choice with the lower powered scope. Almost all of my hunting guns, and guns that I shoot regularly, if they have a scope, it's going to be either a 1.5-6 or 1-4, or 2-7.

At the relatively close distances that I shoot, if I have a gun with too much magnification is distracting and even disorientating. So, if I am going to use a scope, it's going to be one that looks about like it does without a scope. This is especially important if I'm taking a shot at a moving animal so I have a wide peripheral.

Mine is definitely getting smoother. I work the lever whenever nobody's around to think I'm obsessing or something. I'm not! Much...
I got my scope mounted Saturday night. About the same time, the High Wind Warning for Sunday came out. So much for going to the range. Not a biggie, as I didn't get a chance to get powder to work on some reloads I want to try either.

Last edited:
Welp, been close to a year, thought I ought to update.
tumblr_pl14jqe5201xijzxlo1_1280.jpg

This is how the rifle looks now. I got an XS scout mount for it, and it works great!
The action has smoothed out a lot. It usually feeds without a fuss, but I still get occasional hangs trying to feed in the next round. I've never really had any problems with extraction. I was watching a video where they were having issues with a new 464 using privi partisan ammo. Never tried that brand, and I'm wondering if that was part of their problems? Dunno.

Using hand loads with polymer coated cast bullets I rarely have a feed issue. I have found that it does Not want to be babied. Snap it open and snap it closed with authority, and it'll work fine 98% of the time. Still hoping for 99.9% though!

. . . I have found that it does Not want to be babied. Snap it open and snap it closed with authority. . . .

Yessir, and jiggle it just a bit. ;) Seriously, all my guns need more break in, and the lever guns need the most.
If it quits raining they may get some field exercise.

I bought some Privi ammo in 9mm & didn't like it. Cheap and dirty powder IMO.

For lever guns i was always told "treat them like you hate them...." :D

Seems to work on Marlins and Rossi's, but my sons Henry needs to be babied a bit...

Huh, interesting. Someday I'll probably get a Henry, if only a 22. But its not in the cards real soon, unless I come up with a side hustle and can convince the wife to let me spend the money how I want. She always seems to think paying unimportant things like Water and Electricity and buying Food should get priority. You guys have that problem? :lol:

Back