• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 forward sling attachment options

I'm looking to add a 2-point sling to my 590a1.

I have a Magpul stock installed, so my rear sling connection will either utilize QD mounts or built-in sling loop bar.

I'm scratching my head a bit on how to attach the front part.

I was originally leaning towards trying to utilize the front magazine tube cap to install a swivel stud (keep it simple). However I do want the front sling attachment to be able to swivel 360 degrees, as i plan on using this sling more for tactical shooting matches rather than long foot movements. Any suggestions on swivel studs which allow for full rotation?

I’ve also seen some people who attach their front sling to somewhere near the bayonet lug attachment. However, I have no idea what component is required for that attachment method. Anyone have more information on that?
uny2equ4.jpg

The final option I’m considering is installing a sling attachment point right behind the magazine tube cap (something like a GG&G sling attachment piece which is literally secured in place by the OEM magazine tube cap). This may be the easiest method if I can’t figure out the previous two. https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-looped-sling-attachments.html

Fred,

That attachment point will allow on over the shoulder marching style of carry with the muzzle straight up or down. But to go across chest you will need an attachment method and location that is up higher. Until you decide what you really like, just tie a section of boot lace or 550 cord around where the barrel lug is silver soldered (seen in your picture). Clip the front of your sling to that loop. You will see why you want the attachment point above the centerline so gravity keeps the shotgun upright.

That GG&G would work great

Fred,

That attachment point will allow on over the shoulder marching style of carry with the muzzle straight up or down. But to go across chest you will need an attachment method and location that is up higher. Until you decide what you really like, just tie a section of boot lace or 550 cord around where the barrel lug is silver soldered (seen in your picture). Clip the front of your sling to that loop. You will see why you want the attachment point above the centerline so gravity keeps the shotgun upright.

That GG&G would work great

I'm still considering the GG&G modification.

However, I've taken a look at my 590a1's bayonet lug and I think I've figured out how the sling/swivel is attached in the above picture. There is, in fact, a drilled hole in the back of the bayonet lug (which I believe will accept swivel studs). A swivel stud with a conventional sling loop may in fact be a simple and cheap method for attaching a sling. And if I use the right sling attachment method (like the hook pictured above) there may be some articulation enabled for when I am using the shotgun sling in tactical/competition settings.

I'm also in the works of figuring out the best position and type of my forward sling attachment point. I'm using a piece of cord atm. for testing.

I want good balance and at the same time nothing that interferes with disassembly of the weapon. I might manufacture some permanent solution myself.. we'll see..

20190111_235726_hd.jpg

20190108_165228_hd.jpg

That's my boy. You will "get" the best solution for you in short order.

Do you like the 550-cord temporary solution better than the bayo swivel stud?

I believe that sling mounts that are under the gun are for hunting and walking or marching.

Sling mounts up high are for modern shooting methods.

I'm still considering the GG&G modification.

However, I've taken a look at my 590a1's bayonet lug and I think I've figured out how the sling/swivel is attached in the above picture. There is, in fact, a drilled hole in the back of the bayonet lug (which I believe will accept swivel studs). A swivel stud with a conventional sling loop may in fact be a simple and cheap method for attaching a sling. And if I use the right sling attachment method (like the hook pictured above) there may be some articulation enabled for when I am using the shotgun sling in tactical/competition settings.

I get it now. You borrowed a photo of a sling swivel stud mounted into a 590 bayo lug.

Sorry. I somehow thought that was a pic in your post was of your actual gun.

Don't bother with getting a stud to screw into your bayo lug and then adding a swivel and then finding a sling attachment point there.

Trust me.

Is the pic of the Magpul MS sling with the HK hooks yours? Is it borrowed? Either is perfectly okay but I need to wrap my head around what you have already.

I'm looking to add a 2-point sling to my 590a1.

I'm scratching my head a bit on how to attach the front part.

I plan on using this sling more for tactical shooting matches rather than long foot movements. Any suggestions on swivel studs which allow for full rotation?

Right configuration can solve for both.. tactical shooting and long movements..

That's my boy. You will "get" the best solution for you in short order.

Do you like the 550-cord temporary solution better than the bayo swivel stud?

I believe that sling mounts that are under the gun are for hunting and walking or marching.

Sling mounts up high are for modern shooting methods.

Yes, i prefer having the attachmentpoint around here for best balance, when having it on my back or on my chest. I have not tried a swivel, but i assume it will be ok as long as it is somewhat in the same spot as the cord. The bayo attachment point never feels right for me, its more for classic hunting rifle carrying. This is not my image - just showing what im talking about.

positions1-1920.jpg

back.jpg

This is my G3...

20190112_122830_hd.jpg

I get it now. You borrowed a photo of a sling swivel stud mounted into a 590 bayo lug. Sorry. I somehow thought that was a pic in your post was of your actual gun.

Is the pic of the Magpul MS sling with the HK hooks yours? Is it borrowed? Either is perfectly okay but I need to wrap my head around what you have already.

I thought it was his gun too :)

Yes, the pic of the Magpul MS1 sling with the HK hooks is mine. Every pic with that wooden background is taken right here on my desk where i have my PC. Fresh pics.

I just jumped on the wagon when i assumed we were all going the same way regarding the attachment points lol after i had read all your posts. Im sorry if i maybe have hijacked the thread

20190112_125203_fresh.jpg

Last edited:
I get it now. You borrowed a photo of a sling swivel stud mounted into a 590 bayo lug.

Sorry. I somehow thought that was a pic in your post was of your actual gun.

Don't bother with getting a stud to screw into your bayo lug and then adding a swivel and then finding a sling attachment point there.

Trust me.

The picture I posted was borrowed from someone else (actually I think it was from another member of this forum). As I understand it, he put a swivel stud in the bayonet lug (there is a hole in the back of the lug which accepts those studs) and then attached a traditional sling loop attachment on the swivel stud. He then used a Magpul sling with something like a hook adapter to clip into the sling loop.

Why do you advise against going that route?

I currently have a magpul SGA stock installed, so for the rear sling I have the option of using either a QD mount or a just a sling looped through the loop bar on the stock. For the front sling attachment, I could use the same method as shown in the picture above or I could get a GG&G (or something comparable) attachment installed behind the magazine cap and clip the sling into there.

While the GG*G magazine cap attachment looks well made, I'm leaning towards the swivel stud/bayonet lug method since it seems more stream-lined (nothing sticking from the profile of the shotgun) and it keeps the sling attachment closer to the center of the shotgun. The only thing I'm not sure on is how well the Magpul clip adapter will function with a traditional sling loop. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi Fred.

The bayonet lug sling point seems logical, but it is lower than all the mass and weight of the gun. That means when using a 2-point sling cross chest (tactical or modern shooting style) when you let go of the gun then physics and gravity take over and the gun wants to go inverted so the weight ends up at the bottom.

So if you use a QD swivel or stock loop near the top line of the shotgun at the rear, the front mount point below the bottom line of the gun will cause a conflict and at best the shotgun will lay sideways when you let go for cross chest carry.

The GG&G is going to work well for a modern carry style and your Magpul shoulder stock. It puts both sling points up high so gravity keeps the shotgun in the correct orientation, because front and rear mount points are even and on top, so the weight hangs down below.

An easy way to imagine this is if you had a scoped bolt action rifle with a traditional hunting sling mounted below the gun front and rear. If you hang the rifle on your shoulder everything is great for walking. But try and wear it across chest in a more modern method for shooting on the move, the whole gun goes topsy-turvy because of gravity.

Fred,

The pic that fellman showed in post #4 with the 550 cord is a great solution to try if you have a Magpul MS3 sling so you can QD into the buttstock and clip into the 550 loop.

Thanks for the input.

And I understand what you're saying about the swivel stud mounting points being better suited to vertical shoulder-style carry vs. tactical carry.

I thought that the sling attachment hook might have some amount of articulation on the sling loop (to allow for a tactical alert-to-the-dirt carry method), but I honestly can't tell if that is the case simply by looking at the picture above.

I will give the GG&G attachment some renewed thought.

Back