• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

Alright the mcclung double is now finished. I had an old single action holster in disrepair used it to guard handle, and wrapped bottom with some paracord to add a bit of slip stop, and hey cordage comes in handy when axe yo leg:doh: I believe this will reside in the K5 tool box, wont be replacing the boys as my pack axe. I think, well at least for today.
0304191116_HDR_20190304111837411.jpg

OK, I looked at the photo on the big monitor, and I still can't really tell what's going on here.

I want to think it's photoshopped.

Then I found this . . .
loggers.jpg

Springboards were used to drop heavy timber, cutting at the bottom of the straight sides, but above the area where the tree starts to get wider. Above the butt.

The wide butt section of a tree was a pain in the ass for older, steam-driven sawmills. Especially the really big ones.
Thanks Six. That makes perfect sense. Now, how the heck did you know that ? I know you aren't THAT old. LOL.

Got a long family history of logging all over northern New England. I'm from Plymouth MA. Spent most of my youth in the woods. I was throwing double bits at crosscuts before I threw baseballs!

Plus, all the lumberjack games have their basis in actual logging. I remember seeing a hot saw up in the Rangely Lakes region in Maine in 1970 or so made from a Volkswagen block.

Real loggers back in the day were crazy fierce madmen.

old-forest-logging.jpg

Did a little horse trading yesterday, a man asked about getting a couple pieces of wood, ie logs of,decent diameter and about 30" tall to display a couple anvils on in his junk shop☺... Ran home cut three logs returned he let me pick couple items to swap. I saw an old mattox head I could really use, and an old 10.5 skillet that I really wanted. Done deal.
They rough just the way I like it.......time for work keeps me off the streets outa bars !0320191556_20190321124906308.jpg 0320191616.jpg

Back