• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thoughts on mini shells for shockwave?

comma

.22LR
Hey guys. Still trying to find the best low recoil slug option for range practice. Getting some Remington Managed recoil slugs, but was curious what your guys' experience with the mini shells and adapter was?

Can the adapter do any harm to the gun? Just feels unnatural to not use a shell designed for the gun.

Is there only one brand of adapter to use?

Any other good low recoil slug options out there? Thanks

Hey guys. Still trying to find the best low recoil slug option for range practice. Getting some Remington Managed recoil slugs, but was curious what your guys' experience with the mini shells and adapter was?

Can the adapter do any harm to the gun? Just feels unnatural to not use a shell designed for the gun.

As far as I know, OpSol is the only one in production with the exceptions of some bootleggers passing off some fakes. The adapter is made of hard rubber and it won`t harm your shotgun...In close quarters the mini shells are decent loads but there are far better options available.

102_9208.JPG

Both Federal and another brand called Challenger are getting into the mini shell game. Prices are starting to come down some. I have only used the Aquila mini buckshot shells in my 590. They feed and eject smoothly with the Opsol adapter. The adapter will not harm your firearm and can be installed or removed in about 5 seconds. You have to remove it if you switch back to the 2¾" shells. I also bought a different brand of adapter before I found the Opsol. It is completely different. Clips on to the outside bottom of the shotgun. I didn't like that design and never used it. Seemed too easy to accidentally knock loose.

Yeah, if you are going to shoot slugs in a Shockwave, I would definitely go with the mini shells. Just the way 2¾" buckshot recoils in a 590, I can't imagine shooting 2¾" slugs in a Shockwave, because slugs have even more recoil.

Back